NJ Turnpike

Jim Corey

We are going from Philadelphia to Jersey City New Jersey in our motorhome towing a car. It looks like will be on the New Jersey Turnpike. What do I need to know? How do I pay tolls, are there any particular restrictions that I need to know about? I’m from California with all her faults we don’t have too many turnpikes. I don’t want this to be a steep learning curve. 

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

The Jersey Turnpike is part of the EZPass consortium and that's the only way we pay tolls when we're in the east where toll roads are common.  It is possible to pay tolls out the window of a Class A MH but it's not a lot of fun and requires that you position yourself well.  Lots of the toll roads in the east have high speed EZPass lanes which makes life easier still.  My suggestion is that you set up an EZPass account in Pennsylvania while you are there.  You don't have to be a resident of the state; we use a Maryland EZPass and haven't lived there for over 7 years.

Other than paying tolls there's nothing special about the Turnpike other than it's one of my least favorite roads even when driving a car.  Traffic is heavy 24/7 and the drivers aren't very tolerant of large vehicles.  Just have self-confidence and know what exits you are taking and you'll be fine.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Truck traffic on the NJ Turnpike can be very scary. As well as on I-295 rush hours. I have drove both many times. Get your EZ Pass for tolls. If you get NJ's you will pay $1 month service charge forever. PA didn't have service charge the last time I checked.

The EZ pass will save lots of time but the tolls are massive and towing will have you paying the same as a truck, especially if your RV has a tag axle. You may want to consider unhooking the car or using a route to avoid the turnpikes.

Personally I detest that whole mess up there having spent years travelling thru it on business.

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

You can miss some of the tolls by taking I-295 to Bordentown then US 130. Once you get up around Edison the Jersey Turnpike is your best bet though. You might be able to get an EZ Pass at a rest area in any of the states that are in the EZ Pass system.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Unless you are going to be there a long time and definitely need to have the rig there, don't bring the rig there.  We had to go out on Long Island several years ago, and decided to park the rig at an RV park in Pennsylvania, and drove the pickup out on the island and stayed at a hotel for a couple of nights.  It was a whole lot less stressful, and we didn't have to risk damage to the rig from all the crazies. 

I bought my ez pass at the local mall. google ez pass for a list of places that sell. About $25 and link it to a credit card. Becky has the best Idea. Philly into north NJ is a bad trip. I don't know how you are getting into Philly, but if you can take I-78 you miss a lot of turnpike traffic. Or maybe plan late night if you are comfortable.

I am checking any and all post on anything that has to do with traveling out east.  When we were full time before we never did the northeast and within the next couple of years we will be crossing it off our bucket list.

I am leaning toward treating it like we did some of California.  For example, when we spent time in SF we stayed across the bay.  Drove the F350 to a free lot and caught the ferry across every day for sightseeing.  I'm thinking when we plan out trip east we will camp within 100 to 120 miles of the attractions and drive the car in.  I'll get an EZZpass but have it registered to my Mini Cooper.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

In NY that will not work, I currently have an EZ pass for my mini as well as my F350 & 5vr.  They go by number of axles on the road.  It is cheaper for me with EZ-pass then to pass cash.  In MA they charge you double for not having EZ-Pass, I-90 in MA is completely cashless and NYS is heading that way.

David

I am taking a guess at this but are going to Liberty Harbor Marina and RV. If so Exit 15E puts you onto Raymond Blvd which turns in to communipaw ave, take that to Grand st, to Marin blvd make a right and follow it to the water. Raymond blvd and communipaw ave are heavily traveled road for trucks going in and out of the train yards in that are and the road condition is horrendous. This section of roadway will not last very long and  you will be entering inner city streets with the usual city driving habits.  Night travel will reduce much of the traffic but will increase other types of risk. 

We use the following park when we go back to area for a forced visit of some kind or another. NJ Turkey Swamp Park, it is not a bad place to stay, isn't very much money and has a State Park Police station inside the park and is well patrolled. Its almost directly in between the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike. And to answer your question about the Turnpike. If you have traveled California highways around the L.A. area You will be fine. I think you only have one toll to pay after you get on the turn pike and it will be at exit 15E. 

Ran the NJ tpk last summer .EZ pass no problems.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived