Passenger seat removal????

Vegas Teacher

I bought my 780 and when I bought it, it had a aftermarket refrigerator, it is about 3/4 the size of a normal fridge. The person who had the truck took out the passenger seat to get in and went after the closet where the original Volvo fridge was with a precipitating saw and it looks more like a rabid beaver attacked it than somebody concerned about the looks of the truck. Anyway I want to do a few things  to my truck. To start this process I have to take out the passenger seat, the fridge is just to big any other way. When I contacted the person about what they did, he just said good luck and have fun with that. It takes up a lot of extra room in the apartment area and it makes a lot of noise as well as rubbing on the back of the drivers seat, I just want it gone so anyway......

How hard it is to remove the seat and deal with the airlines? Could I do it myself or should I pay Volvo 120.00 per hour for shop time for them to do this?

Where could I get a replacement closet and Volvo refrigerator from without paying an arm and a leg?

The bunk bed ladder is also gone. How hard is it to install one of these and are there any for under 200.00

Also I am trying to find a Semi Junk yard near Vegas, does anybody out there know of something close to here on near Fontana California since I go there a lot for German Shepherd training sessions?

Later,

Vegas Teacher -Cory Ossana

Corey,

Removing the seat is easy just remove the bolts at the base and lift out.  May want to coat them first with PB Blaster if they are rusted or have a lot of crud.  Be careful not to twist the heads off as I did on one and had to drill out and re-tap.  If they are hard to remove more soak.  Airline is probably push to connect.  If you are just temporarily plugging the airline, use a golf tee.  If permanent may want brass ferrelled connector with cap.  

Cabinet is screwed in and just takes time to remove but will come out.

BTW a replacement Volvo fridge new is $$$.  Used will still be expensive.  I use a larger dorm fridge (Hehr) and installed two computer fans with a thermostatic switch for air circulation behind the fridge.  Looks good and functions well.  My first dorm fridge lasted six years without the cooling fans.  The compressors need cooling hence why I installed the fans.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

14 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Corey,

Removing the seat is easy just remove the bolts at the base and lift out.  May want to coat them first with PB Blaster if they are rusted or have a lot of crud.  Be careful not to twist the heads off as I did on one and had to drill out and re-tap.  If they are hard to remove more soak.  Airline is probably push to connect.  If you are just temporarily plugging the airline, use a golf tee.  If permanent may want brass ferrelled connector with cap.  

Cabinet is screwed in and just takes time to remove but will come out.

BTW a replacement Volvo fridge new is $$$.  Used will still be expensive.  I use a larger dorm fridge (Hehr) and installed two computer fans with a thermostatic switch for air circulation behind the fridge.  Looks good and functions well.  My first dorm fridge lasted six years without the cooling fans.  The compressors need cooling hence why I installed the fans.

Thanks for the information. The dorm fridge is a great tip, thanks for the advice!

If you want I can post some pics of my circulation fan install.  The dorm fridge fits like a glove in the lower space.  Just be sure there is 3-4” below the bottom drawer (top of fridge) to allow air circulation. Also space in rear for circulation.  Heat build up behind the fridge will kill them quickly.  Another issue is securing the fridge in the space so it doesn’t move.  I used industrial strength 3m Velcro and it has worked great to keep mine from moving.  All totaled, Corey, probably have about $150 in my fridge setup compared to $600+ for Volvo or aftermarket truck fridge.

I would caution if you’re going to be using the fridge a lot for boondocking and in extreme temps such as dessert in summer then my setup won’t hold up as well as a truck designed fridge and you need to spend the money.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

First - pictures would be great of the refrigerator!

Second - the truck came with a giant inverter. I have been wondering how to set up a plug to run the truck on shore power (30 amp) or power from my generator? If I decide to bobtail and boondock? Can a set up a converter along with the inverter like I have in my trailer. Flyer and I replaced the converter from the trailer on a very cold December 31st a couple of years ago in the campground behind fremont street here in Las Vegas. 

Later,

Cory O

Just now, Vegas Teacher said:

First - pictures would be great of the refrigerator!

Second - the truck came with a giant inverter. I have been wondering how to set up a plug to run the truck on shore power (30 amp) or power from my generator? If I decide to bobtail and boondock? Can a set up a converter along with the inverter like I have in my trailer. Flyer and I replaced the converter from the trailer on a very cold December 31st a couple of years ago in the campground behind fremont street here in Las Vegas. 

Later,

Cory O

I forgot, I would like to be able to kill the power from the batteries, using the kill switch and run the truck off of a different power supply, that is why I asked that question. I don't have 8 - 10K for an APU installation, for bobtailing & boondocking.

Corey,

A lot of inverters will have built in transfer switches that will automatically take power from your ac source (generator or shore power) and cut off power from the batteries.  Just look at the owner’s manual or google your model and see if it has an internal transfer switch.  If not you would have to add one.

Here is removal of side panel for my fridge location.  Drivers seat is not in picture but would be to the right of the picture.

uajrjF3l.jpg 

Two computer cooling fans mounted over compartment vent hole.  This vents behind drivers seat.  I have these configured to pull air over coils and exhaust air out not pull air in.  The fans are controlled by a switch on the dash (sorry no pic) which I can turn off if fridge is not running nor will they run when truck is parked unless I choose.

KPSDtsKl.jpg

Button thermostat (on at 100 degrees, off at 85 degrees) which keeps fans from running all the time even if switch is on.

tezgAfIl.jpg

Hope this helps.  Again, I have a Haier single door fridge I bought from WalMart.  Believe it is a 3.2 or 3.5 cubic foot.  Just measure your space and leave the room at the top for air circulation.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Hello Cory,

Be careful when taking out the seat / seats. They are heavy. Don't ask me how I now that. It seems to be a one man job because of the lack of room. When I removed my seats I take them part. I removed the seat from the base that has the air bag in it. It made life a lot easier for me. My seats had four bolts holding them to the base.

Good luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 minutes ago, dan412 said:

I didn't have to remove the seat to get my fridge out just sat it on the seat then went round other side pulled it out the door.

I did the same to get my old one out and new in.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived