smart car ramps

tim brown

Take a look at Discount Ramps. Pretty much have any length and width you want, including some specifically for Smart cars. For typical HDT, Ramps need to be 12' to 14' long to allow for a reasonable breakover angle.  I know a few are as short as 10' and a few are as long as 15'. Typical widths are from 12" (like ours) to 19" like the "Big Boy" ramps.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Paul covered everything. Personally mine are specifically advertised for a smart car and they are 12" wide and 12' long. I believe the break over in the middle is 11 degrees.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

The ramps Brad refers to above are the ones we use and recommend. They are very strong (relatively), and the 12" width is plenty wide enough.  The break-over works well on almost all deck heights - even though they specify deck heights that are typically well below HDT decks. I prefer the plate ends since it makes for a cleaner bedside, but the ones that hook on are fine too if you want to build the slot into your bed. 

We will have ramps that we make for our beds that will have some other features. We just have to vet the prototypes. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

1 minute ago, tim brown said:

what does a set of ramps cost ?

LINK   $800-10% plus shipping.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Something to consider - Our 14' ramps are plenty strong and they are hinged for easier storage. The downside is that they weigh about 70 pounds each and can't be broken in half without some modification. When your age crosses the weight line, you may want to consider that modification, a co-driver/navigator, or begging for help at the campground...

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

Something to consider - Our 14' ramps are plenty strong and they are hinged for easier storage. The downside is that they weigh about 70 pounds each and can't be broken in half without some modification. When your age crosses the weight line, you may want to consider that modification, a co-driver/navigator, or begging for help at the campground...

Hi Paul,

Is there any two piece ramps out there ? Thank you for bring up the weight of the ramps. I never gave it to much thought. Are you coming to this years ECR ? If so, we can get together and talk about ramps. I would like to carry a Smart car with me.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

The folding ramps that we talked about above are 2 piece. The rod that they fold on can be removed if you wanted. I don't know why you would want to unless you are just trying to reduce the weight you are handling with each piece.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Had the 19” wide 12’ long big boys two Ramps from Discount Ramps. For 9 yrs. work great for us. They were the only thing available way back then. Lol

I have to say I like the 19” wide. It allows me to not worry much about lining up perfect and able to make any corrections on the way up winching. 

I’m sure I would have looked real hard at the 12” ones if available and got used to them too. 

The 12” offer a higher capacity which is nice. We are right at it on the 19”. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Alan, the mod on the ramps is as simple as grinding a spot weld off of the hinge pin. Frankly, it never occurred to me to ask since the first set we bought were intended to come apart, I just assumed that they all were that way.

Brad, when you get old & creaky like me, 70 pounds gets to be awkward when configured like folding ramps. I have developed a little ritual dance when handling them which eliminates having to lift the entire 70 pounds. And, yes, they are extremely efficient at removing fingernails.

The Smart will fit on the deck, and the front end will need to sit on a pair of 2 X 10's about 12" long. That will give you enough clearance to store the folded ramps under the car. 

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Handling the ramps can be a pain.  To eliminate finger damage, I've done a number of things.

• Put a loop of heatshrink covered aircraft cable on the nose or dirt end of the ramp to allow them to be pulled straight out.  Keeping fingers well out of the way.
  • Cut down the hinge pin, making it as short as possible.  Welding a fender washer on one end and leaving just enough room on the other for a pin.  The ramp compartment was narrow and the ramps jammed up while being pulled out.  Not any more.
  • Put 2 strips of Teflony stuff on the bottom of each ramp compartment for them  to slide in and out on with a lot less resistance.  As Darryl said a couple of years ago,"they are grabby".

When I get home, I'm going to switch them from bolt on the deck to dropping into a channel by bolting a piece of angle iron onto the area the bolts go thru.  It look like a better way.

Archived