Name this part

chooseopen

Hi guys.

Can you help me identify this part on my D12 with  10 speed manual Eaton tranny?  It is on the bottom of the bell housing on the transmission half.  I have quite a bit of wetness in this area and I also happened to notice recently a soft clutch pedal and my clutch fluid was low.  Possibly related??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wEnmZsl0NauBtvJ03

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Sure looks like thew clutch slave cylinder to me.  Is the moisture oily, or water soluble?  If water soluble, it's clutch (brake) fluid.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Not really sure.  My first instinct was that it was motor oil.  A couple weeks ago I cleaned a small area near the blowby tube but after several hundred miles my spot is still clean.  Now I have focused in on this area near this mystery part.  It's so hard to tell because there is 600,000 miles of sludge down there...  Tomorrow I will crawl back under it and stick my fingers in it some more, lol

If you crawl back under the truck, take a squirt bottle of water with you.  Spritz it on the wet area and see if it cuts it, or just runs off.  If you are sure you're losing clutch fluid, that's a likely place for it to exit.  I have no idea what rebuilding the slave entails.  It's likely an easy job, if a rebuild kit is available.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I vote for Bob,

If that is a hydraulic line going to it I think farmer Rick ID the function.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Thanks a millions guys!  I refilled my clutch fluid tonight so that I dont lose the clutch completely and tomorrow I will clean it all up and see if i can verify a leak.  Sure seems suspicious since I recently noticed that the clutch was soft, especially when first starting up the truck.  

If you have to replace the clutch slave cylinder (that part in your photo), get the air assist version.  Put one on my truck and it reduced the required leg force to press the clutch pedal by over 50%!!  I LOVE it and would not own a truck without it.  I threw away a perfectly good slave cylinder when I upgraded to air assist an never regretted it for a second.

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

The air assist clutch slave that works on your and my truck is part # 20469695.

Here is a used on from Vanderhags: 

https://www.vanderhaags.com/detailview.php?part=24603265

2004 Volvo 630, Cummins ISX, Eaton 10 speed (air assist clutch), 3.71 3.07 rear locker, ET jr, 200" WB, GearMaster

2017 Forest River Sierra 372LOK

Full time June 2017

DW, 2 kids, and 2 dogs

A few years ago I rebuilt my slave cylinder. When I took it apart there was no pit marks or other problems showing. The boot was still good. So I honed it with say 1500 grit sand paper. 

Went to a Napa store and found a rebuild kit for a brake cylinder that had the same size bore. I believe the part number at Napa was U195. Installed the new cup and while working on it a new hose from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder. That part was from Volvo.

Napa part was about 4 bucks.

Still works as designed.

While I was in there I built a air operated cylinder to work the clutch as Randy A did. I think he is the one that did it. 

Safe Travels,    Vern 

Well I think I am wrong as the photo does not look like mine. It is still dark outside to look.

Sorry for misleading you,.   Vern

Ok your slave cylinder is just different than mine. I searched on Amazon and both your style and mine is available from Amazon .

Now that is interesting to me that Volvo truck parts are online other than the Volvo store. 

It's time for me to take the day off,.    Vern

Archived