Oregon will allow increase of rates--Under 65 insurance

I also understand that in New Jersey the insurance companies  were allowed to file two sets of rates, one in case these CSR payments were cut.  Now the higher rates will be applicable.  I am reading that in other states analysts suspect that many insurance companies submitted intentionally high rates (a 20% hike) because they feared these payments would be stopped. If states do not allow insurance companies to adjust rates prior to November 1 (it depends on state law and politics) the insurance companies will simply have the choice of proceeding based on their previously submitted rates or withdrawing from the market altogether. 

Those of us in the ACA market will be able to see on November 1 what the new rates will be for 2018 and what insurance companies are still in the game. From what I read it sounds like if you are eligible for the Cost Sharing Reduction payments in 2018 the insurance companies must still provide them to you even though they will not be reimbursed by the government (presumably they will then sue the government). Anyway, I suspect the rates may vary wildly by state and I am hoping we can at least lock in insurance to get through 2018 while this, hopefully, gets sorted out.  Good luck!

Dave and Lana Hasper

I don't have them or I would. I expect there will be an article soon. I follow healthcare analysts on twitter and this was the conversation going on. I can't remember who said what but there were journalists and Larry Levitt of the Kaiser Foundation and Andy Slavitt, who ran Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA under Obama talking about how insurers and states would respond. Here is a blog from a health care analyst that covers some of the same info.  http://xpostfactoid.blogspot.com/2017/10/trump-is-stiffing-health-insurers-for.html     One thing different from the blog that I picked up on is that a lot of the insurers may have already priced this in so they won't need to make adjustments. 

Dave and Lana Hasper

I don't have a citation for this yet but according to Andy Slavitt, former head of administering Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA, a Montana Coop has been informed it cannot modify its rates to account for the termination of CSR payments so it will fold. There apparently is still a Blue Cross in Montana that anticipated the CSR termination and has not indicated it will pull out of Montana.

I am including a link that sets out how analysts expect states to deal wit this issue. The states in green will handle it as California is doing (described in previous posts) the states in yellow are using the approach used  by Oregon (as described above). This map is supposed to be updated as information is available and may change (for instance it does not of this writing reflect the Montana Coop problem). Of particular interest to fulltimers may be that South Dakota is listed as a state that did no planning for the contingency of these payments being stopped. Consequently, the need to act immediately or the ACA  insurers in that market will be under extreme pressure.   https://www.balloon-juice.com/2017/10/12/csr-wont-be-paid/

Dave and Lana Hasper

This update sounds like South Dakota may be addressing the problem.   I am pasting the twitter comments of Andy Slavitt (head of CMS under Obama) so you can get his direct explanation of how this is developing.  

Dave and Lana Hasper

Archived