Out of Network Insurance?

We are beginning our full-time journey.  I and my wife are covered under health care insurance through my employer and have coverage in two states.  However, what should we do for the rest of the US?  Indemnity insurance?  Our policy is mostly 100% out of pocket unless urgent or emergency room.  Hospitalization is not covered.  My premium is VERY low because I work for a state agency, so it is tough to stomach other plan's costs instead if I were to opt out of that one.  Thoughts?

We chose to have a PPO because we are full timers.  We wanted to make sure that we were covered instead of just having the local insurance.  I just did not want to take the risk of have them coming back at me and saying they were not covering for something.  As we see that all of your claims are out of your home area.  I have read were people go back to there Home base once a year or when needed to see there regular doctors.  Insurance is just that, insurance.  Hopefully you will never need it, but it is good to have.

keep in mind, if any one thing happens and you are not covered, it has driven people to bankruptcy. 

I guess my thought is to get better coverage or just take the risk.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

We pay $76 -a month each for supplemental insurance. That of course is after Medicare cost. We are covered in all states. After 2 hospital stays out of state, pace maker, AFib, both of us cataract, knee rehab, ankle supports it is well worth the extra cost and peace of mind. While some of them were instate, knowing that we had the choice to go anywhere is great peace of mind. 

11 hours ago, Jason Wi said:

We are beginning our full-time journey. 

Welcome to the Escape forums! As one who has been on Medicare since before the passage of the ACA and all of the recent government controls, I really don't have a lot of advice, but we have a member named Zulu here who has done a great deal of research and hopefully he can join in. If he doesn't, you may want to send him a PM or search for his posts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, TheDuke said:

We pay $76 -a month each for supplemental insurance. That of course is after Medicare cost. We are covered in all states. After 2 hospital stays out of state, pace maker, AFib, both of us cataract, knee rehab, ankle supports it is well worth the extra cost and peace of mind. While some of them were instate, knowing that we had the choice to go anywhere is great peace of mind. 

What company are you using?  Can you please provide a link to the product info on their website?

Our insurance is with Blue Cross & Blue Shield. But what is more important is which state you will get you insurance in. My best advice is to find an health insurance broker in your area. These brokers do not charge for their services. They can look at your health needs and help you determine which is a best fit. 

For instance, our insurance needs to be available in all states. BCBS fits that mode as does Medica. 

On 10/5/2017 at 6:56 PM, Jason Wi said:

We are beginning our full-time journey.  I and my wife are covered under health care insurance through my employer and have coverage in two states.

First, it sounds like you're under 65 and not on Medicare, right?

If so, are there other state health insurance plan options you can select? It sounds like you currently have a "multi-state" plan (pretty worthless for an RVer).

If you decide to insure yourself, you will probably be paying much much more than you pay now. Also, you most likely have an $400-500 deductible for emergency room treatment.

Finally, if you're not an FMCA member, you may consider joining just for the FMCAssist program that comes with membership.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 10/7/2017 at 6:38 PM, Zulu said:

First, it sounds like you're under 65 and not on Medicare, right?

If you decide to insure yourself, you will probably be paying much much more than you pay now. Also, you most likely have an $400-500 deductible for emergency room treatment.

Finally, if you're not an FMCA member, you may consider joining just for the FMCAssist program that comes with membership.

If one is buying individual insurance (pre-Medicare age), you really need to understand what's available in your domicile state and county.  It's going to be different for everyone.  www.rverinsurance.com is a great resource with lots of info.  If you have it available, a PPO is generally going to provide coverage outside your home area for more than just emergencies, whereas an HMO will typically be MUCH more limited in where you can obtain treatment.

FMCAssist is transport if you suffer a medical incident and can't drive your motorhome back home.  It provides transport but is NOT health insurance in any way, shape, or form.

8 hours ago, mkc said:

If you have it available, a PPO is generally going to provide coverage outside your home area for more than just emergencies, whereas an HMO will typically be MUCH more limited in where you can obtain treatment.

How do you know most current PPO health plans provide out-of-state coverage? From my research most of the current PPOs are only useful for in-state medical treatment.

8 hours ago, mkc said:

FMCAssist is transport if you suffer a medical incident and can't drive your motorhome back home.  It provides transport but is NOT health insurance in any way, shape, or form.

I didn't say FMCAssist was health insurance in my previous post. It's a way to get you to your home state if your insurance only covers you in that state.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

31 minutes ago, Zulu said:

How do you know most current PPO health plans provide out-of-state coverage? From my research most of the current PPOs are only useful for in-state medical treatment.

Kindly re-read my post.  I never said that - I said outside your HOME area.  One needs to research the options available in their area for themselves.  Each COUNTY is going to have different options.  Some plans will have out of state coverage, others won't.

Archived