External Hard Drive for Dish ViP211k

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Our receiver is installed right under our TV, so a standard cable splitter works fine for feeding the OTA signals to both devices.

Yeah, on 2nd blush, if you have both the OTA and dish coax next to your receiver, then you only really need a Separator. Duh.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

15 hours ago, Zulu said:

But wait . . . there's more . . .

If you use a DISH Diplexer and a DISH Triplexer, you can not only use a single coax from your dish, but you can also add your OTA antenna signal to your 622/722 like so:

So I could watch OTA using the receiver?  I don't think I'll do that to start off with, but it's something to think about.  The problem for me would be that I have no idea how to get the cable from the OTA antenna over to where the satellite receiver is so that it could be hooked up to the diplexer as shown in the schematic.  I'd probably have to find someone to do that for me.  Plus, about the only time we watch OTA is when the wind is strong enough that we put the Trav'ler down, which would negate having the OTA antenna hooked up to the receiver!  :rolleyes:

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

15 hours ago, Zulu said:

Yeah, on 2nd blush, if you have both the OTA and dish coax next to your receiver, then you only really need a Separator. Duh.

And ours isn't set up that way. 

The OTA antenna is located approximately where the stove is on the passenger side of the RV and is (I assume) hooked up to the TV and the BOMB (box of many buttons) in some manner.  In order to watch OTA, I have to press the OTA button (or however it's labeled) on the BOMB.  The satellite receiver is in a cabinet above the driver's seat...and the BOMB is in the opposite cabinet above the passenger seat.  The TV is opposite the dinette on the kitchen wall.  Here's the floorplan of our rig:

2013_Winnebago_Aspect_27K.jpg

I don't have the technical expertise to be snaking cables through ceiling and walls!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

19 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

There is a separator Dish Separator that takes a single coax from a DPP 1000.2 Dish and splits the two muxed signals on the coax into the two input ports of the VIP 612.  The Trav'ler is a DPP 1000.2 dish.

As it turns out, we have one!

Last night, as I was sitting watching TV, I glanced down at the receiver (a ViP222k) and noticed, sticking up behind the receiver, a device that looked suspiciously like the device to which you linked.  So I got up to take a closer look and, sure enough, it was the very same dish separator!  We've had this receiver for years and it came with the device, but I've never paid any attention to it (have no idea what its purpose is on this receiver).  Anyway, I won't have to order one when I order the 612.

I haven't ordered on yet because I'm waiting for Solid Signal to answer some questions for me.  Specifically, regarding this comment concerning the 612:  "A software upgrade will be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application."  I don't understand why it would need a software upgrade since the dish on our house and the Trav'ler are the same type of dish.  Plus I'm worried that the software upgrade might negate me using the receiver in the house.  Anyway, once those questions are answered to my satisfaction, I'll order it.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

30 minutes ago, LindaH said:

As it turns out, we have one!

Last night, as I was sitting watching TV, I glanced down at the receiver (a ViP222k) and noticed, sticking up behind the receiver, a device that looked suspiciously like the device to which you linked.  So I got up to take a closer look and, sure enough, it was the very same dish separator!  We've had this receiver for years and it came with the device, but I've never paid any attention to it (have no idea what its purpose is on this receiver).  Anyway, I won't have to order one when I order the 612.

I haven't ordered on yet because I'm waiting for Solid Signal to answer some questions for me.  Specifically, regarding this comment concerning the 612:  "A software upgrade will be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application."  I don't understand why it would need a software upgrade since the dish on our house and the Trav'ler are the same type of dish.  Plus I'm worried that the software upgrade might negate me using the receiver in the house.  Anyway, once those questions are answered to my satisfaction, I'll order it.

Interesting.  Who told you this and what was their reason for stating that?

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

17 minutes ago, jc2 said:

Interesting.  Who told you this and what was their reason for stating that?

The statement about the 612 needing a software upgrade if it's going to be used in an RV is on Solid Signal's website for the 612...the last line under Features: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=VIP612

I have no idea the reasoning behind it...that's what I'm trying to find out.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

19 minutes ago, LindaH said:

The statement about the 612 needing a software upgrade if it's going to be used in an RV is on Solid Signal's website for the 612...the last line under Features: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=VIP612

Thank you.  Will be interesting  to see the "because"  reason behind the upgrade if/when it will be used in a rv/marine environment.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

I haven't ordered one [612] yet because I'm waiting for Solid Signal to answer some questions for me.  Specifically, regarding this comment concerning the 612:  "A software upgrade will be required if this receiver is being installed in RV or marine application."  I don't understand why it would need a software upgrade since the dish on our house and the Trav'ler are the same type of dish.  Plus I'm worried that the software upgrade might negate me using the receiver in the house.  Anyway, once those questions are answered to my satisfaction, I'll order it.

I think you should do some more research before buying.

Google "VIP 612" or do a search on www.satelliteguys.us. I did a quick search on 612s and it seems that people love 'em or hate 'em.

Consider a 722 or 722k. They're more expensive, but should be more reliable than a 612.

Here's a VIP 6XX/7XX receiver comparison.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, LindaH said:

Well that is some balderdash.  I used a VIP612 in my RV with no software upgrades.  The only receivers that might need a software upgrade for RV use would be the VIP 211/411 series to work with a Tailgater.  And Marine is no different from RV.

The VIP612 was supposed to be not quite as good as the VIP622 but my experience was it worked just as good and I had both at the same time. Sometimes you have to take ratings with a grain of salt as most downplaying the VIP612 were VIP722 users.  So much for history.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

49 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Well that is some balderdash.  I used a VIP612 in my RV with no software upgrades.  The only receivers that might need a software upgrade for RV use would be the VIP 211/411 series to work with a Tailgater.  And Marine is no different from RV.

That was my feeling.  I could see it maybe needing a software upgrade if using it with a dome of some type, but it escapes me why it would need one for a Trav'ler.  It'll be interesting to see what they come back with.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I spent about 45 minutes this morning having an on-line chat with "Chad" at Solid Signal about the software upgrade for RV use.  After going around and around, the upshot of it was two-fold:

1. The update it for the mobile dishes, if you connect this to your home first you will be able to do it there.

and

2. Also I'm being told that if you have the Trav'ler and its western arc it can do it [the upgrade] itself.

So I'm going to order one WITHOUT the upgrade.  If I'm understanding what "Chad" said, whether I set it up in the house first or in the RV first, the upgrade will be done when it connects with the satellite.

Strangely, they have the very same software upgrade statement for the ViP211k and ViP222k, both of which we have and both of which we've moved from house to RV and back again without a problem.  They've never had a software upgrade unless, as "Chad" indicated, it was done over the air when connected to the satellites.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

The 612 came yesterday (I ordered it without the RV software update).  Hooked it up, ran through the set-up procedure, then called Dish to activate it.

After activation, I set it up to record a program while I was watching another, just to try it out.  Easy-peasy!

I noticed that this receiver doesn't have vent holes on the top like our other receivers do.  When we move it into the RV, would it be OK to put the Trav'ler control box on top of it?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

The software update is for the automatic dome style portable dishes that need it to locate the satellites. The Trav'ler uses its own programming to locate that sats, so it doesn't need the update. Once the Trav'ler has found the sats on its own though, the receiver just thinks it's a 1000.2 western arc dish, just like the ones used in residential or portable tripod applications. Then it will update normally so your receiver has the latest version that might also include some   bug fixes unrelated to satellite location.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived