My 2018 Volvo VNL42T730 spec.

Dbl0svn

Hello All, 

I have finally had some time to scan in and post the spec. of my 2018 Volvo VNL42T730 that I use to tow my RV 5th wheel.  Due to the size constraint on attachments, I have added a link to this post.  I am hopeful that it will work.  If it doesn't work, then let me know and I will try another approach.  

Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mwvj967scfqc7b/2018 Volvo VNL42T730 Scan_20170903.pdf?dl=0

On my system that pdf comes up as raw pdf - unformatted.  Anyone else seeing that?

If you want to email me the spec I'll re-host it if you like....assuming there even is an issue and it is not just "me".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

16 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

On my system that pdf comes up as raw pdf - unformatted.  Anyone else seeing that?

If you want to email me the spec I'll re-host it if you like....assuming there even is an issue and it is not just "me".

Jack,

It a regular pdf file - 6 pages (Numbered 2 to 7).

For my education why is this a 2018 Volvo VNL2T730.  Is this the "old" generation they are selling off until the product start on the "new" VNL in November? Seems odd (or confusing) they call it 2018 with the new generation actually coming in 2018.

Better price than waiting?

Gerry

23 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Jack,  I sent you an email.

Here is a Google Drive hosted version LINK

As to the year....there are 2018 "old" versions out there, and there will (presumably) be 2018 "new" versions of the VNL out there at some point in time. They will be re-numbered.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

3 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Jack,

It a regular pdf file - 6 pages (Numbered 2 to 7).

For my education why is this a 2018 Volvo VNL2T730.  Is this the "old" generation they are selling off until the product start on the "new" VNL in November? Seems odd (or confusing) they call it 2018 with the new generation actually coming in 2018.

Better price than waiting?

Gerry

Gerry, 

I don't have an answer to your question.  My comment to Volvo was that it would be a new 2017.  I was corrected and told it would be 2018.  It's not any new body style or anything.  The paperwork and VIN just list it as a 2018.

In the "new" VNL model lines the 780 becomes an 860. The 730 becomes a 740. So if you get a 730/780, it is an old model line. (Strange to say "old" on a new truck)

www.jackdanmayer.com

39 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

The equivalent "old" 2018 Volvo VNL2T730 would be a VNL2T740. Yes, they will change the number, but as Dbl0svn said, just seems weird calling it a 2018!! Just need to watch the model numbers.

Dbl0svn

You going to Hutch and bringing your new toy? Would love to see it. Drool!

Gerry, 

I'll actually be in Florida in October.  So, I won't make the National Rally this year.  I'll have to see if I can schedule a trip to one of the rallies moving forward.  

44 minutes ago, TheLongWayHome said:

The equivalent "old" 2018 Volvo VNL2T730 would be a VNL2T740. Yes, they will change the number, but as Dbl0svn said, just seems weird calling it a 2018!! Just need to watch the model numbers.

Dbl0svn

You going to Hutch and bringing your new toy? Would love to see it. Drool!

Right...I put in the 780 version....I'll change it...

www.jackdanmayer.com

Just an editorial  comment....for what it's worth.

If you are going new, and not in a hurry, it is worth waiting for the new line of VNL. It has some features worth waiting for, IMO. It will cost more however.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I like the spec and have questions about some things. These are my opinions and what I would do.
I like the new body style and since it's so close would spec a 740 
I take it with the wheelbase you will not be using a Smart Car Deck? May have room for motorcycle.
I see Eco roll is disabled-I would enable it.
Are those the biggest fuel tanks you can add..I would go with as large as possible.
2.93 gears-How fast do you drive normally?
Drum brakes-I would go with 4-disks......less hassle, better stopping distance.
Can you get the 1650/1850 spec?  It seems that the 1650 is not enough for me some times...wouldn't want less.
Are you driving in cold weather conditions? Many options for cold weather.
I would add factory TPMS.
Are LED headlights std? If not it's a must have. IMO
Are you going to use the commercial hitch...if not delete JOST AIR SLIDE LH RETRACTABLE RELEASE and slide hitch if possible.
I would also add

-KYSOR HDMS VARIABLE SPEED FAN CLUTCH
-165 AMP or larger alternator DELCO REMY 36SI WITH REMOTE BATTERY VOLTAGE SENSE (12V)
-FULL LOCKING WHEEL DIFFERENTIAL
-HEAVY DUTY MAIN CHASSIS WIRING HARNESS COVERING
-CLUTCHABLE AIR COMPRESSOR
-FRONT STABILIZER
-FUEL TANK CAP / DEF TANK CAP keyed locks

Hope some of this helps.

Here's why I spec'd what I spec'd for me.  Like Rick posted, maybe this will help whomever decides to go this route. 

I purchased my truck in February 2017.  I needed  a truck and didn't have any reason to wait for a newer bodystyle.

Let me see if I can answer some of the questions re. my configuration and why these work for me.  Remember, you can basically build these trucks to fit your specific need.  

My truck has a 215" wheelbase.  I wanted my truck as short as possible since my 5th wheel is 42 feet long and I wanted the 730 floor plan.  I don't have a smart car and I don't plan on getting one.  I am not concerned about resell, or what the next guy will do with my truck once I have passed on.

At 215" of wheelbase, the maximum amount of fuel that the software would allow me to carry was 200 gallons (100 on each side).  That's what I have.  

With the ET hitch, my overall length is 65'.  That is the max allowed in my state.  My 5th wheel does not have an option for a shorter pin box, so I'm right where I need to be.

The 2.93 gears were the tallest gear a single axle 730 could have at the 80,000# spec.  This allows the truck to cruise at a low rpm at 70-75mph for the best fuel economy.  On the 7%, 13 mile grades, the truck downshifts and powers up the hills without issue.  I drive the speed limit.  

Drum brakes.  The disc brakes are substantially more expensive than the drum brakes.  At least they were when I purchased mine.  The rule of thumb is that the disc brakes cost more up front,  but the drum brakes cost more to replace.  Given that I tow a 22,000# 5th wheel and use the Jake brake (VEB), I will probably never have to replace the brakes on my truck.  I have not had any issues with my brakes or stopping my unit.

My D13 has the eco torque 1550/1850 ft lbs.  The way that it works is that in eco mode it uses 1550ft lbs and will uprate to 1850 in the top two gears if it needs the extra power.  If I select the performance mode, the engine stays uprated at 1850 until I disengage the performance mode.  Power has not been an issue.

I live and drive in cold climates in the U.S.  The block heater, i'm told is overkill, but otherwise that explains the cold weather equipment.  

I didn't get the TPMS.   This is a good option, but I decided against it since I pre-flight my unit each time that I drive it and check and fill the tires for both the truck and trailer each time.  Some may call it OCD, but I live by the words; Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

I don't believe that the LED headlights are standard.  All of the lights on my truck are LED, including the headlights and BOC lights.

I have the locking rear axle.  

I have the Hendrickson 13,200# air ride front suspension.  A sway bar is not offered for the air ride.  Only the steel spring ride.

I didn't get key locks on my DEF and Fuel tanks since I have the anti-siphon screens in all of my tanks.  

I'm sure that I didn't answer all of the questions, but at least it gives you an idea of what you can do.

The key takeaway is that if you are going to go this route and build a new truck, do your homework and build the truck that works for you.  After all, you're the one who's paying for it.

Stay safe Gentlemen.

Thanks for the info....I thought you were spec'ing a truck now! So, disregard some of the questions as they are not relevant since you have your truck. :)    The disk brake option on my spec was $2990.00 so I thought that was reasonable. Also, not many would spec 14K on two seats but the Bose seats were and still are the best option we put in the truck. Don't know what changed but my truck and others I've seen have 2.67 and 2.43 gear options....hmm! But, the info is great and thanks for posting it. Safe travels. 

I'm not sure what part of my configuration limited me to the 2.93 axle ratio.  I did try to get the 2.67, but the software wouldn't allow it.  The 2.93's have proven to work well for me though.

I understand your position on the disc brakes.  Its hard to find a car that doesnt have disc brakes.  The price will come down eventually.  For my application I decided to pass on them.

Those Bose seats are awesome.  I know that you are loving those.  

Very nice truck Rick.  Enjoy.

Archived