"Cleaning the Generator"

Pat & Pete

After searching +++ , I've found answers to every question about cleaning almost every part of a generator , except 'how to best clean the generator as a complete unit' .

Our Onan generator is built in . The bottom of that bay is open , which seems to invite dust/dirt . 

I'd like to have it clean , but , I'm not sure if giving it a hose bath and scrub type cleaning is advisable or if that might cause problems . 

That bay having an open bottom would suggest that the generator can take moisture/water from the outside without harming anything . 

So , safe or no ??? 

Goes around , comes around .

You didn't state which model Onan you have, but on our Onan 10 k diesel,  although the bottom is open, as is yours, all electronic connections are internal. There is an external umbilical cord with a plug-in connector which I have wrapped tightly with tape. I haven't cleaned the body of the generator in our seven plus years of ownership, although I do clean the heat exchanger on the radiator as needed when I do routine maintenance. Unless caked with dirt, I see no need to wash the body of the generator.  If oil over-spray is noted, find the problem and then clean.

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

2" fire hose might no be good but you could make up a mixture of cleaner in a gal jug and use air nozzle with the liquid sucker on it.. I guess you could call that a wetair wash. That way you could direct it sorta where it needs to go ;)

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Deliberately spraying water into a genset is problematic IMO. Unless you are experiencing problems I would not spray water into the genset. Water spray from driving in rain is quite different than pressurized water. This is somewhat like the warning on vehicle engines stating never use a power washer on electronics, even though they are sealed from water spray while driving.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Deliberately spraying water into a genset is problematic IMO. Unless you are experiencing problems I would not spray water into the genset. Water spray from driving in rain is quite different than pressurized water. This is somewhat like the warning on vehicle engines stating never use a power washer on electronics, even though they are sealed from water spray while driving.

I can see why we wouldn't want the generator and control parts of the genset to be wet , but the motor portion should not be a problem . Trying to keep what we want dry is the problem . 

More searching produced : 

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145915

Note the referenced thread in that thread .

43 minutes ago, noteven said:

I use some of my motorcycle cleaner (S100)  which does not require high pressure water. 

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder . I hadn't really thought of that ( yet ;) ) . I'm familiar with S100 as I'm a moderator on a motorcycle forum and many members wouldn't use anything else . My bikes are riders/outdoor as opposed to trailer queens , so I don't keep them spotless , like some folks . 

I've just yesterday heard that S100 works very good on black streaks , so now I have a double or triple reason to buy some . :D

Archived