Teaching video - Short

Vegas Teacher

Hello All - Vegas Teacher is back behind the computer now in the classroom.

This does not apply directly to our rigs but I thought it was an interesting video to share see link:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56e316c61bbee06d13210ed6/5820fdce2e69cf31db29125d/5821005f20099e79d2abe276/1478557885375/4PaB8A5+-+Imgur.gif?format=1000w

It is for physical science classes and physics classes but gives one something to think about when pulling a trailer, especially if you pulled with an undersized truck before. I think everybody who told me to get an F250 when I was looking for my semi needs to see this video.

Wouldn't it be nice if you got into trouble a BIG HAND reached out and got you out of trouble? I got my DW to watch that video. I try to tow as safely as possible. Tires, load, speed and traffic around me are some of my concerns when underway. I really try to watch out for myself and the other driver.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Is this why Semi's have the pin heavily loaded and the wheels in the rear of the trailer?  JohnnyB

If so, why doesn't New Horizon and other high-end 5th Wheelers do a similar arrangement as a Semi?

JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

7 minutes ago, brunsje said:

Is this why Semi's have the pin heavily loaded and the wheels in the rear of the trailer?  JohnnyB

If so, why doesn't New Horizon and other high-end 5th Wheelers do a similar arrangement as a Semi?

JohnnyB

A freight trailer and a 5th wheel have very little in common. One is designed to be at a relatively consistent weight and the other is designed to adapt to ever changing weights and laws. Semi's do not have designated "heavy" pin weights. The pin weight is relatively light until freight is loaded into them and then how the cargo is loaded determines the weight distribution. If you load 5K pallets side by side in the nose you will have a heavy pin. That can quickly get over weight on the drives. If I am picking up a large load of heavy pallets I have them load it one then two then one and on and on. That keeps things evenly distributed. 

The wheels are in the rear because if they were all in the front the back of the trailer would be doing a wheely! and be massively over weight. They also have sliding rear axles so that the weight can not only be adjusted for axle weights but also for bridge weights which is another can of worms......It is just not as simple as you want it to be.

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

• 2 weeks later...

Archived