Weight and Balance Ingersollrand T4

Wrknrvr

Now this is one of my first drilling rigs to drive on a highway. It was a 1974 Ingersollrand T4 drilling rig.

Now it weighed about 65000 lbs. With 40,000lbs rear axles and 20,000lbs front. It was overweight on the front axle some. And yes they sold them in the state where they were registered .

So the company policy was for anyone seeing a scale in operation to radio in to the office as for its location. That way the rig manager could radio any rig operator that might be traveling down the road where the scale was operating. That was before cell phones.

Now something else to think about while driving the rig. The rear axles where bolted directly to the rig frame. Sharps turns were very interesting also. And where is the center of gravity with the Derrick overhead.

With an international 6 cylinder gas for power. Lots of gears in there also.

Maryland was a pain in the but as to miss there scales that where on the main roads.

I guess it was the beginning of being an outlaw.

Still cannot even copy a picture to this site. So I could use some help on a picture.

Safe travels,.  Vern

Throw it to me, Vern. I still have to upload the Mack pics. I passed a service rig the other day, tri drive, tri steering axles. I didn't get a chance to snap any pics. Next time, maybe.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Now Dolley Trolley,.  

I need your help on this one.

Maybe a swivel wheel on the front jack.

How about a sliding Derrick to balance the weight. That may require another axle on the rear end. Maybe swivel wheels there also.

Just playing with you,   Vern 

Now on the serious side.

Today there was a triple axle Royals International 5thwheel pull up beside me at a traffic lite.

Really nice paint for its age.

Finally look at the tow vehicle.???

A early 2000 ford single axle f250!     

Now it looked like a motor boat pulling it. Nose up tail down.

I about you know what in my britches.

That was absolutely unbalanced. To the extreme.

Be nice,   Vern

On my way back there was a Mobil scale set up. Boy he was lucky.

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

Now on the serious side.

Today there was a triple axle Royals International 5thwheel pull up beside me at a traffic lite.

Really nice paint for its age.

Finally look at the tow vehicle.???

A early 2000 ford single axle f250!     

Now it looked like a motor boat pulling it. Nose up tail down.

I about you know what in my britches.

That was absolutely unbalanced. To the extreme.

Be nice,   Vern

On my way back there was a Mobil scale set up. Boy he was lucky.

Work........

I input some rough......really rough numbers into my spreadsheet and this is a No-Brainer..........just tip the Derrick vertical and just lower it for the overpasses and powerlines...........telephone lines are optional..........take the corners a bit wide and keep the tires pumped up hard ...........if she tips over just email my new helper Stepchild , he handles most of my tip-overs now.......

Drive on............(look out for low overpasses......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived