RoadKing Shocks

brunsje

Folks,

Does anybody have experience with RoadKing Shocks on their Steer Axle?

I am considering them, but at $400 apiece, they had better be Great !!

Thanks, JohnnyB

2014 ShowHauler Motorhome 45'

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Johnny, Wow...it would be hard to imagine that these shocks would be that much better on our HDT suspensions. I am not a suspension engineer but I would spend that money on something else.  That is just my thought and I was wrong once before. I would like to hear from someone who has real world experience with them, just as you would.         Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

12 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Johnny, Wow...it would be hard to imagine that these shocks would be that much better on our HDT suspensions. I am not a suspension engineer but I would spend that money on something else.  That is just my thought and I was wrong once before. I would like to hear from someone who has real world experience with them, just as you would.         Charlie

Hi Guys,

There is only one person that I know that had those shocks on his truck. He sold his truck and has not been able to post much any more because of his work. That person is Brit, known as BM Zero.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Not a truck, so factor this... 

I added the previous generation of RK's (2 1/2" vs 3" diameter) to our Steer/Drives/Tag about 7 years ago. They are a 'robust' shock. And I noticed an improvement in ride handling when installed. With that, came a bit more of a jarring/impact of expansion joints and pot holes from the Steers into the cab. I could have sent them back to RK to have them re-valved - but handling was more important then comfort to me. 

Oddly, just last month, I ordered Koni's "99" Evo shocks, which had recently become available for our coach. The Koni FSD is a smaller version, which when I talked with Koni's Tech support Justin, was not recommended for my IFS. They were just not up to handling the front end duty on our 40'. I watch as Koni brought the EVO 99's over from Europe, and first heard about them as Alpine Peak chassis owners used them with positive results. (I know two people with 40' Apline's that have about two years experience with them, and they like them.)

I have them with me, but do not have the tools to install them. We will be stopping at a shop in New Mexico in a few weeks, and have them installed along with some other work. So I have no first hand experience on how they perform. But, I'm expecting them to be more then capable of handling our front end, and provide I hope as much handling control as the RK's. (Will send the RK's in and have them re-valved, and keep them as spares.)

So, you might want to check the Koni EVO-99's to see if they're available for you unit. 

Best to you,

Smitty 

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

The reason that RK shocks are so expensive is that you are supposed to be able to rebuild them. Really? Spend the labor and time to rebuild one of the cheapest and most effective items on the truck. These are not sports cars or racing on different tracks every weekend. Install what the OEM recommends and save about $300 per. 

Besides if Kevin Rutherford used to hawk them on his XM radio program, I would stay away. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

I put a complete set on my truck and noticed a great improvement in the ride. I had a lot of bounce in my suspension. Totally eliminated it. Much better over all ride. The wife hated riding in the passenger set as it was a roller coaster ride till I installed these shock

just my opinions. 

Jc 

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I'd like to try a set! A 3" piston will have a dramatic effect on controlling our huge un-sprung weight and sprung weight held up by an air spring. These duties require more than a cheasy small piston/cellular gas shock can handle.

To say that what the OE, most aftermarket is fine and anything more would be a waste is like saying "Taco Bell fills the belly and makes a turd, so spending the extra on good Mexican food is a waste" I myself appreciate when something is much better than average.

Rebuilding is just a plus considering the initial outlay on these things. King makes excellent dampers! Wonder what the service life is on the seals?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived