Hitch Mounting Plate- Bed Design

DIESELSUBMARINER

Hello Guys,

I lucked out and found a used Trailersaver TSLB2H Air ride Hitch. The plan is to bolt it on a steel plate and bolt the plate on the frame rails. Frame rails are 33" side to side outside distance.

What thickness of steel plate is recommended ? would 1/2" plate overkill ?  (Considering the hitch is 23" wide itself , the opening between the frame is 27")

in addition I like some bed setup ideas .. currently I plan on getting full stainless single fenders, frame rail toolbox with integrated step fwd of the tires and a recessed storage box between the rails.. No extra storage on the area behind the sleeper. The rear would have a stainless center panel and a full width stainless light bar below...

anybody using anything similar?

btw, Truck is a 1986 Pete 359, singled short (8 1/2ft frame length behind sleeper.

thanks

We used 4x4 .125 wall tubes, placed on the inside of the rails, at the bottom.  On top of the tubes, we put 1/2" plate that spans the area. The Trailer Saver is bolted to the 1/2" plate with 3/8" 4" angle.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

From there site

owners manual

Figure 4.

1 Hitch Placement It is recommended that the hitch be installed with the kingpin centered over or just ahead of the rear axle. If this is not possible the hitch can be installed further back, often without negative results. See the enclosed hole pattern diagram on page 15.

1. The hitch must be bolted to the trucks frame members and may be accomplished in many different ways:

2. One ½” thick plate steel covering the entire base of the hitch and extending to both frame members

3. 2 ¾” x 6” steel plates which extend to both frame members

4. Combination of plate steel and angle iron

5. When installing the cross members, be sure to fasten them to the face of the frame with vertical members. Both cross members and vertical members must be bolted together.

6. After the installation base is secured, use the hitch as a guide and drill ½” holes through the steel plate and secure with grade 5 or grade 8 bolts. Use at least 4 holes on each side of the hitch, making sure the hitch is secured at both ends.

7. Consult with an experienced hitch installer for other methods of installing a hitch for this application.

8. See page 16 for pneumatic paddle control air kit, included with the hitch.

9. Fasten pneumatic paddle control gauge/switch in the cab, preferably where it can be accessed from inside or outside the truck.

event.png

Trailersaver recommends 1/2" as noted above.  i used 5/8" mostly because my steel supplier had some and I never minded a little overkill.  I took them the blueprint from Trailersaver (available on their website) and had the steel supplier program it in and flame cut all my holes when they cut the plate to size.  Save a LOT of drilling.

Archived