Broke My Truck.......

Well, I broke it again. Not sure what I did, but I am hoping it isn't fatal...... Wife and I were coming back from a store to the campground where our trailer is and was climbing a hill. I started loosing power (felt fuel related) and part way up the hill I heard a BANG. I thought it was a turbo boot, but when I was pullng over there was a terrible racket that to me sounded like I was dragging the driveshaft. When I put it in park it sounded like when you put an auto in park while still moving. I shut the truck off and looked underneath expecting to see something. Well, all looked normal! No oil or fluids of any kind except the condensation from the A/C. I tried to start the truck and the starter spins and it sounds like it is engaged inthe ring gear but the engine does not turn over. That means either the flex plate broke or the crankshaft broke. I am really leaning and hoping the flexplate isthe problem.Really, really hoping...... While waiting for a tow, my wife stumbled getting out of the truck and went down. Even with my lack of medical training I knew she broke a bone in her wrist (you could see it). So, for a while I had an ambulance there, a Highway patrol, and a Sherrif's deputy all with lights on and then a wrecker with his lights on. It was impressive..... I had my wife going one way in an ambulance and my truck going the opposite way on a hook. Thanks to some good samaritans I got to the hospital and back with my wife. Now to see about renting something to drive........ Oh, and does anyone know of a decent place to see what is wrong with my truck in Hot Springs, Arkansas?

VisitedStatesMap.gif

10 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

We see metal fragments. What is it?

From looking at the load he tows I would say its pieces of the center of the ring gear which left the torque converter flopping around like a limber water hose or they may be the ears that bolt converter to flex plate.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Those chunks are part of the flexplate (aka flywheel) that the engine spins and the torque converter bolts to. That is actually a good thing for me to see because the only other thing that would make the truck do what it did was break the crank shaft. That would have been fatal for the truck since it is a 1996 with 315k miles on it. All I m trying to do is get back to Minnesota with it. Once there I already made plans to replace it.........

Far as my wife, the ER Dr last night told us to get ahold on an Orthopaedic Dr first thing this morning and not to wait until we got back to Minnesota, so I called and left a message at 8:30AM. I called back about 2PM and still no contact.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

35 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Tom,

I bet that your new HDT will not have that problem. ?

Hope everything works out OK with the DW

You beat me to saying the same thing. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Dave and Chad, I was working my way north to get one! I located (I think!) a 2007 780 that I want to look at. All I need to do is get there.....

On another note, my wife has an appointment for tomorrow morning with a bone doctor. Once we find out when surgery will be then I can look at heading north again..... BUT we WILL be there by May 11th. Our daughter is graduating college for the second time on the 12th.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Well, I get my truck back today! The center of the flexplate broke right out.......

20170420_122023_zps43w6tagd.jpg

On the other situation, my wife has surgery scheduled for tomorrow. The only problem is her insurance said we need to meet the deductible before they will pay anything. This is all coming out of pocket, so I may not be replacing my truck anytime soon.....

VisitedStatesMap.gif

28 minutes ago, Devilishjim said:

I assume the torque converter is still ok and the seal behind it ? Wish your wife the best and a speedy recovery !

Yessir, everything else is fine. It wound up costing me $701 and change, but the flexplate is a bit more robust.

Surgery is tomorrow (4/21) at 1PM. The hardest thing for her is nothing to eat or drink from midnight tonight.....

VisitedStatesMap.gif

20 hours ago, Mntom said:

Surgery is tomorrow (4/21) at 1PM. The hardest thing for her is nothing to eat or drink from midnight tonight.....

Sorry I did not see this soon enough to maybe help you. They always say midnight assuming an early morning surgery. It pays to remind them of the time of the surgery and ask for clarification. As a night owl I was pleased to be allowed to eat my wee hours of the morning meal before a late in the day surgery. This can apply to late in the day fasting blood draws, too, for those of you who don't need to eat anyway because of diabetes.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Mntom said:

Linda, she is a diabetic, BUT with her recent weight loss (she wouldn't be happy if she saw this!) her last A1C was 5.0 so not eating was a non issue. Her blood sugar at the hospital was 100! Anyhow, the surgery went well and now that the bone is anchored she is already doing much better.

It sounds to me like she may no longer be diabetic. That's been known to happen with a substantial weight loss. You might want to check on that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

It sounds to me like she may no longer be diabetic. That's been known to happen with a substantial weight loss. You might want to check on that.

Linda

Yep, her primary doctor is aware of the changes. She is still on Metformin, but for how long we don't know yet. This was the first time in over 30 years her A1C was that low! Another lab scheduled for next month.

I just can't seem to catch a break here.... After the week I had now the fridge is not wanting to cool on AC. I have to check, but it appears to be a heater or board problem. Maybe I will be lucky and just find the fuse on the board blown..... but I doubt it.......

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived