Tandem and duals

cadonnelly

With only 2 standard tires per axle, I'd be worried about having 'too much' brake for the tire's contact patch. It might be a real worry though.

We tow a 3-car stacker and with just 2 cars in it we are at 23,000 pounds on the rear axles.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to stay out of the fray regarding bearing loads, etc.

The big negative that I am surprised that nobody brought up, is the fact that you put yourself in the same boat as the Super Single folks if you should have a flat.

The companies or fleets that run S/S's USUALLY have a large support network and therefore it is not a big deal to have a truck sitting on the side of the road.  As an Army of one, for most rv folks, that is not always the same situation.

Personally, I have had far more Drive tire flats than steer tires.

Also, I do realize that most rv trailers are not dual wheeled, however, since I live in Nevada, we like to keep the odds in favor of the house.

Just sayin....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

17 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Duh.  I should write what my brain is trying to say.........  I meant a total of 18k on the rear of the truck.  I picked that number out of the air, as it's close to what a singled truck would normally be rated, w/ the back half of a 38k tandem.  We're nowhere near that figure, but some are over a bit.

You are legit at 18,000 and under if you have aluminum hubs and 21,200 and under if you have iron hubs.

Archived