DEF fluid concern

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to do some reading about DEF fluid. I have a concern that I might be causing myself a problem with my truck. The truck is a 2012 Volvo with a D13 engine. The engine has not been started at all this winter. It seems like I might be causing a problem of crystallization with the DEF fluid. If there is crystallization going on, where is it happening at ? The engine or DEF tank or where ? Should I drain the DEF tank and replace the DEF fluid with new fluid ? I think there is a drain at the bottom of the DEF tank. Looking for insight about a problem that I might have brought a pond myself. I can take any corrective criticism about this problem. I just want to make sure I have not caused myself a big head ache.

Thank you for any insight or help,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al,

Read this. Don't think you should be concerned unless in temps below 12 degrees then may want to drain.

http://www.truckinginfo.com/article/story/2013/06/def-here-to-stay.aspx

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Good info. So winter drainage is not necessary Al.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Get a DEF refractometer and use it to find out if you need to change out your DEF or not. You should, however, know where your DEF filter is, how to change it, and probably do it when you are doing the big PM. I suppose it could have grown crystals in it but they usually re-melt at next pressure cycle. All that pressure side is purged at every key off anyways so it should have been largely dry all winter. Usually the filter's problem is the black goo.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5025-Diesel-Exhaust-Refractometer/dp/B0054WI5KQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488662014&sr=1-1&keywords=def+refractometer

Get a DEF refractometer and use it to find out if you need to change out your DEF or not. You should, however, know where your DEF filter is, how to change it, and probably do it when you are doing the big PM. I suppose it could have grown crystals in it but they usually re-melt at next pressure cycle. All that pressure side is purged at every key off anyways so it should have been largely dry all winter. Usually the filter's problem is the black goo.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5025-Diesel-Exhaust-Refractometer/dp/B0054WI5KQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488662014&sr=1-1&keywords=def+refractometer

Thanks Scrap for the info. When I was looking at the truck, it was in the service bay getting a full service done to the truck. It included all filters and fluid to meet the maintenance schedule. I hope that the DEF filter was changed. I will try to locate the DEF filter. Can I assume that the filter is close to the DEF tank ?

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived