How to get into housing of door mount mirror

rdickinson

It is not much fun getting the newer mirrors like you have apart. Follow the posted instructions....but it will take time and much frustration. Take your time or you will damage them.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Roger,

The mirror back part has tabs that lock into slots and these will break off if not very careful. If you can, place the mirror in the full down position with your control then slip a long screw driver down to disengage the locking tab on the top of the mirror attachment. Then the mirror should slide upwards out of the tray. The linked instructions don't really show the locking tab but it is there. If you can get the mirror out then you can undo the tabs on the back plate easily. I ended up having to buy a whole new front and back assembly as the wind snapped off 3/4 of my tabs. About $125 total.

http://www.lang-mekra.com/pdf/service/service-manual-472.pdf

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Let me look and I'll post a pic this afternoon. I think I kept the old housing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Roger,

Sorry, didn't keep the housings, so can't say if you could drill.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Here's some photos of my passenger mirror chrome piece that you might mount a small camera. My chrome piece is plastic and think I'd use a my Weller soldering iron to melt a hole versus drilling.

Removed mirrors first by sliding up if I recall. Once the mirrors are off (last pic), you have access to the tabs on chrome piece.

P1090642.jpg

P1090643.jpg

P1090632.jpg

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Yeah Jim, those tabs you show in pic #2 is what break off easily so removing the mirror first is almost mandatory. In your pic #3 the actuator shows the slots the mirror fits into but mine had a locking tab on the top on the mirror side to lock it into the slots. Did yours?

Nx3Ok4Wl.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yeah Jim, those tabs you show in pic #2 is what break off easily so removing the mirror first is almost mandatory. In your pic #3 the actuator shows the slots the mirror fits into but mine had a locking tab on the top on the mirror side to lock it into the slots. Did yours?

Carl,

On our 2009, the sides of the two mirrors have four tabs which slide into matching slot/tabs on the actuator assembly. Next two pictures show the backside of the two mirrors with the four tabs on each side.

P1090635.jpg

P1090638.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim,

Mine looks the same. The black tab that the two green wires ran behind actually locked my mirror into place and I had to depress it to get my mirror to slide out. When I slid it back in using the 4 tabs it snapped locked. That's why mine was a PITA. The mirror instructions I posted above just show firm pressure on the bottom side of the mirror while sliding it upward and doesn't show releasing that tab. Yours may have come out with just pressure.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Yours may have come out with just pressure.

I see what you're saying about the locking tab. Never noticed it before. I'm certain I just slid it off and while it wasn't too hard, I was a bit anxious about breaking the mirror . . . . bad luck and all.

Jim & Wilma

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Rolling down I-95 today when the bottom convex mirror broke loose from the big upper part. It was hanging by the heater wire banging against the door. I had to power down the window and grab hold of it with my left hand until I could get off the Interstate. All I could do is cut the wire and put the mirror inside the truck. Looking at it both screws sheared completely off. Guess I'll need to follow above instructions to go inside and try to put new screws in. This time they will be SS. Fortunately I still have a good left side view with the fender convex mirrors - can still see the blind spot. Anyone else ever have this happen?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Rolling down I-95 today when the bottom convex mirror broke loose from the big upper part. It was hanging by the heater wire banging against the door. I had to power down the window and grab hold of it with my left hand until I could get off the Interstate. All I could do is cut the wire and put the mirror inside the truck. Looking at it both screws sheared completely off. Guess I'll need to follow above instructions to go inside and try to put new screws in. This time they will be SS. Fortunately I still have a good left side view with the fender convex mirrors - can still see the blind spot. Anyone else ever have this happen?

Randy,

When my back cover let loose on the way to Albuquerque the mirrors were flopping around. I was afraid they were going to let loose also. Finally got pulled over and thank goodness for Gorilla Tape.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

SuiteSuccess, on 28 Dec 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Randy,

When my back cover let loose on the way to Albuquerque the mirrors were flopping around. I was afraid they were going to let loose also. Finally got pulled over and thank goodness for Gorilla Tape.

Carl, does Gorilla Tape come standard with a new Volvo or is it an extra cost option?

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Carl, does Gorilla Tape come standard with a new Volvo or is it an extra cost option?

Depends on the color.:)

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

It's not an option from Volvo. You have to go to a Kenworth dealership to buy it :rolleyes: .

Stopped at a Walmart and got one of those fairly large stick-on blind spot mirrors in the RV section. Shucks, I like it better than the piece that fell off! Might just have to putty up the holes in the bottom of the mirror and forget about a replacement.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

• 1 year later...

Archived