Financing a brand new HDT

Heavymetal

Care to fill the rest of us in on how you got away without paying the 12%FET and State tax? As I was told it did not matter if it was for private us. I still has to pay the FET. Same as I paid on the last tires I bought for my truck. Did not matter that I was buying them for a private (In my case giant Pickup) I still paid the FET. Same as i have to pay on every sale we may of our product line.

Not saying you did anything wrong. Always like learning something new. But the only way I have found to beat the FET on a new class 8 truck. Buy a Glider and if I were buying new. It would for sure be a Glider kit.

Pete

The 12% FET is only paid once and that is when it is titled the first time PLUS any and all upgrades made to that vehicle in the first 6 months. The truck I bought had been titled by the Freightliner dealer under one of his LLC's therefore they had paid the tax already. All legal and above board.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

As someone that has sat on the side of a highway recently, I-94 Fargo ND, we, my wife and I, had to educate the North Dakota Highway patrol officer that stopped us for a totally different reason (window tint) on how we were licensed, why we didn't have CDL's, and why the "Looks like a truck, Sounds like a truck, But it's not a truck" truck. The officer was professional and polite, but all he knew where his state laws, and not all of them. He knew his interpretation as he understood his state statutes, but was reluctant at best to be told he was wrong in understanding what his state actually allowed by state reciprocity agreements. After he took our offered book of information and went to his cruiser for 15-20 minutes while he researched our info. He admitted that he learned something new that day.

Since this happened back at labor day, I have seen at least 15-20 mid to heavy trucks, FL60's, Dually's with signage, HotShotters, a few HDTs with horse trailers, all on the side of the road talking with the highway patrol here. And I can guess what about. Not being properly licensed for the vehicle being operated.

Having a Texas Commercial Vehicle Law enforcement Officer on this site, giving us the ability to understand how the state interprets its laws, how and why the officers react they way they do to us has been priceless for many of us.

I agree but with that being said you or Big5er have know idea who shifter is are what knowledge he has. There is a right way and a wrong way to approach a disagreement and instead of being condescending in the very next post one should just simply post their rebuttal and wait for a response or clarification. Shifter might have had more information on his point of view that would have been supporting and then again maybe not, you never know he might have already fought this fight in the courts. I myself prefer more then one point of view and Big5er's is that of law enforcement, I myself would have like shifter's also but now you nor me will ever know. All you have to do is reread your own post, if you had taken it for granted that the officer was the only one that could interpret the laws correctly you would have been given a citation. maybe shifter would have educated Big5er on a point he has missed.

My response to Big5er was meant to be condescending and to point out that just because he carries a weapon does not mean he's the only one that has the proper training to use it, just like he's not the only one on this furom that know's the law and if anyone takes just his advice and refuses to listen to anybody else has a very closed mind.

2 Great Danes

As someone that has sat on the side of a highway recently, I-94 Fargo ND, we, my wife and I, had to educate the North Dakota Highway patrol officer that stopped us for a totally different reason (window tint) on how we were licensed, why we didn't have CDL's, and why the "Looks like a truck, Sounds like a truck, But it's not a truck" truck. The officer was professional and polite, but all he knew where his state laws, and not all of them. He knew his interpretation as he understood his state statutes, but was reluctant at best to be told he was wrong in understanding what his state actually allowed by state reciprocity agreements. After he took our offered book of information and went to his cruiser for 15-20 minutes while he researched our info. He admitted that he learned something new that day.

Since this happened back at labor day, I have seen at least 15-20 mid to heavy trucks, FL60's, Dually's with signage, HotShotters, a few HDTs with horse trailers, all on the side of the road talking with the highway patrol here. And I can guess what about. Not being properly licensed for the vehicle being operated.

Having a Texas Commercial Vehicle Law enforcement Officer on this site, giving us the ability to understand how the state interprets its laws, how and why the officers react they way they do to us has been priceless for many of us.

I am new to the HDT community and have tried to do my research to insure I was staying within the laws as written (not interpreted ) it seems you on the other hand have been towing with a HDT long enough to have assemblied a book. The book you have put together was obviously done so well that a law enforcement officer learned from it. Have you every thought of putting one together that would help in the education of us new to the HDT community?

2 Great Danes

The 'book' in this context is all of your paperwork, nicely organized. It would include your state's regulations that permit you to call the vehicle a RV, plus the regulations that permit you to operate that RV with whatever driver's license you have.

Someone posted a nice checklist of things to put in it, but I can't find it right now.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

I am new to the HDT community and have tried to do my research to insure I was staying within the laws as written (not interpreted ) it seems you on the other hand have been towing with a HDT long enough to have assemblied a book. The book you have put together was obviously done so well that a law enforcement officer learned from it. Have you every thought of putting one together that would help in the education of us new to the HDT community?

Heavymetal,

Congrats on the truck. I will be happy to share the contents of my "book". I am OCD enough, I even have a table of contents if and when a LEO wishes to see it. My book is a binder with plastic slip in sleeves. Page 1 is registration clearly showing my truck is registered as a Motor Home and my trailer registration to show it is MY trailer and not one I am pulling for someone else. Page 2 is insurance info on truck, trailer, smart car. Page 3 is Tennessee (my home state) statute defining license requirements to drive a Motor Home in Tennessee highlighted in yellow. Page 4 is Tennessee statute defining a Motor Home and classifying a MH as a Recreational Vehicle. I also have a copy of the Federal Definition of a Motor Home. Page 5 is statute for location on license plate on a MH in TN also highlighted. TN only issues one plate. Page 6 is weight tickets of truck alone, trailer alone, and combination. My hopes are that if I'm stopped I can conspicuously step out with my binder, expose my table of contents, then thumb through to find the requested info. I will not antagonize the situation by shoving my binder to the officer and tell him to read this but I will defend my position with facts if questioned. My personal opinion is the book should be short, concise, and to the point. An officer on the side of the road is not gonna want to thumb through "War and Peace". On edit was typing while Jim was posting so some redundancy.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Heavymetal,

Congrats on the truck. I will be happy to share the contents of my "book". I am OCD enough, I even have a table of contents if and when a LEO wishes to see it. My book is a binder with plastic slip in sleeves. Page 1 is registration clearly showing my truck is registered as a Motor Home and my trailer registration to show it is MY trailer and not one I am pulling for someone else. Page 2 is insurance info on truck, trailer, smart car. Page 3 is Tennessee (my home state) statute defining license requirements to drive a Motor Home in Tennessee highlighted in yellow. Page 4 is Tennessee statute defining a Motor Home and classifying a MH as a Recreational Vehicle. I also have a copy of the Federal Definition of a Motor Home. Page 5 is statute for location on license plate on a MH in TN also highlighted. TN only issues one plate. Page 6 is weight tickets of truck alone, trailer alone, and combination. My hopes are that if I'm stopped I can conspicuously step out with my binder, expose my table of contents, then thumb through to find the requested info. I will not antagonize the situation by shoving my binder to the officer and tell him to read this but I will defend my position with facts if questioned. My personal opinion is the book should be short, concise, and to the point. An officer on the side of the road is not gonna want to thumb through "War and Peace". On edit was typing while Jim was posting so some redundancy.

Thanks for your input! I will start mine today and any other pointers would deeply be appreciated.

Richard

2 Great Danes

Archived