gen 1 eaton fuller 2 pedal trans will not go in reverse

bags

I have a 99 vln 610 w/ the above transmission. When I try for reverse the R and N light flashes back and forth. Trans goes in and out of reverse but never engages for more than seconds.

The first time I had this problem I was hooking up and able to crawfish it under the rig and hook up. I drove 300 miles, and and the problem cleared up. I spoke w/the Volvo service rep and he said chances of the code still being there were slim and it was probably an electrical problem that resolved itself.

The problem returned. I drove another 300 mile and still no reverse.

This morning I disconnected the neg battery cable and will let it sit 1 hour or so.

My question is, if this battery disconnect clears what ever is, will this be a temporary fix or do I still need to get it to the dlr.

I had the reverse switch replaced 20k miles ago along with the bearing. That time however the trans R light would just flash and the trans would never engage. this time the R & N flash back and forth.

Thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Just wait- when you get in the middle of a road & try to shift too fast F & R, it may do it too. Give it a few minutes shut off, usually will find itself. Try cycle ign key 3 times before start. If these don't work, yer just gonna' have to sacrifice the chicken on the hood.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Rooster or hen?

thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

Rooster or hen?

thanks

JB

Both

Drive on..........(Don't drive up a dead-end ally till ya get Reverse ......back)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Same issue same tranny as yours. Mine was Reverse ball sw.

I replaced it cost was $30 from Volvo. Removed one tested bad with ohm meter on removal.

Code and T/S called up switch.

I see you relplaced one maybe same switch? There is another one just like it diff part number though for rev lights.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Archived