working couple trying to decide what type of rig to get for full timing

swtamiet

Hello all. This is my first time posting but my hubs and I have been racking our brains, trying to decide what type of rig makes sense for our situation. I'm hoping for some input for those with more experience than we have. (which is pretty much anyone who has spent one night in an RV).We have two small dogs and work full time. We want to buy an RV (without spending more than 20K). And live full time in the local RV park. We have two small fuel efficient cars to get us to and from work and do not want to buy a truck. That being said, a motor home seems to make sense in order to be self sufficient in moving the rig about. HOWEVER, the 5th wheels especially and the travel trailers too really are appealing in spaciousness and liveability. But, how hard is it to find a mover to move either to an RV park. And, once there, are there occasions when we would have to move it about? Does one need to move their RV to dump the tanks? Or is it generally done with a long hose? Have I asked to many questions? Your thoughts appreciated.

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!

Full hookup RV parks (the kind you'll be looking at for long term) have all of the utilities right at the site itself. Just plug in the electricity, run the water and sewer hoses to the appropriate fixtures on the site and you're set. You won't have to move to dump the tanks.

That said, the park may require you have a vehicle available to move a trailer out of the park on demand. This has to do with residency rights in some areas - if you can't vacate immediately you may be considered a resident instead of a short term tenant and that adds complications if the park ever has to evict you.

Motorhomes have to be used on a regular basis or their drivetrains will deteriorate. You can't expect them to sit for extended periods and then just start and run reliably. You'll also have to keep the motorhome roadworthy - that means keeping liability insurance current along with registration and annual inspections if required in your state. On that basis alone, you'll get more bang for the buck with a trailer, even if you have to buy a used truck to satisfy the park. Just drive the truck every once in a while to keep it fresh.

There are many companies that move RVs from place to place on a regular basis. Every new trailer delivered to an RV dealer is towed from the factory one at a time by a driver in a pickup truck. Check with your local dealers - I'm sure they can recommend someone to move you in and out as needed.

. We want to buy an RV (without spending more than 20K). And live full time in the local RV park. We have two small fuel efficient cars to get us to and from work and do not want to buy a truck.

I would suggest a travel trailer or a 5th wheel trailer. You will get much more livability for your money. In addition, no drivetrain and chassis to maintain / watch deteriorate. Just hire someone to move the trailer the few times you ever relocate it. All the best.

A fifth wheel would likely be your best bet for the most spacious living quarters and storage capacity between the two types of towables. A travel trailer generally has very limited storage. As others mentioned, hiring someone to move it for you shouldn't be very problematic.

That being said, if your intention isn't to travel.. and assuming you are looking at this option as a money saver.. I would highly recommend looking more toward a mobile home option over a TT. It would be less expensive to heat/cool, would have more living space, utilities are more convenient, doesn't require LP tank refills and is much easier/cheaper to maintain.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and will do all that we are able to help you in your RV venture.

My thought is that you really need to do some serious study and reading before you do any actual shopping for an RV. With your location you will need an RV that can be comfortable in moderately clod weather so keep things like freezing plumbing in mind. I suggest that as soon as possible you should spend some time walking through a few RV parks just to observe what is there and ask those you see outside if they would share information with you. Most RV folks are pretty friendly and would be happy to help if you let them know that you are preparing to buy your first RV. That would be a good way to begin to learn about how they work and what you may want or need. In addition, there are many videos that explain how to hook up an RV and various other RV subjects on You-tube.

I tend to agree with most of what Lou suggests also, and for several reasons. Since your budget is only $20k, buying a motorhome is much like getting a trailer and tow vehicle combined and with that small a budget you won't get much of a motorhome. You need to explore the prices of RVs in your area so that you grasp what you can buy for the money that you have. Your budget seems to mean that you will be seeking an older, used RV since that amount will only buy a pretty small one if new and no motorized units are less than 3 times that much when new. Also, as Lou points out many RV parks do not allow year around living and since you are in CA that is very common. I suggest that before you move on this you need to speak with the management about your plan to be sure that there is a park in your area that can accommodate you for all year. Monthly rates in parks are significantly lower than daily or weekly so check those out as well. Living where you do, I doubt that it would be practical to plan on hiring someone to move your RV from park to park, so make sure that such service is available before you buy any RV that your present vehicles can not tow. Small cars are typically only capable of towing one of the pop-up or tent-trailer type of RV so you may need to trade vehicles for a truck or SUV in order to tow something large enough to live in.

You were wise to come here and ask questions before you buy so ask away as much as you wish. I suggest also that you may want to spend some time visiting the websites of those who post here and many of us have a link in our signatures to our websites where you can find a great deal of RV information. Come back as often as you wish with questions as we are here to help! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We are feeling grateful for all the information. Prior to this we thought the motor home idea was more practical for us but it sounds like its really not. I'm a little relieved too because, as Lou and also Kirk mentioned, the motor homes in our budget were kind of old and likely have issues. We will check with the full time park we are looking at to see if they require us to have a pull vehicle. We could definitely buy a used truck to have on hand. We have seen lots of newer 5th wheels and travel trailers in our budget. I wonder what to look for in deciding on one that is comfortable in cold weather?

You might want to look at USED trailers or 5th wheels. You'll be able to get a better quality RV for your money. Better quality ones will have double pane windows, more insulation and a sealed underbelly to help keeping the cold weather out. Less slideout will also keep the RV warmer. Slides have no insulation. Keep in mind that you'll be using a lot of propane in cold weather for your heat. Some parks with permanent renters allow a big propane tank delivered to the site by a local propane company. You will sometimes get a better rate and less hassle in taking your smaller tanks to get them filled. Some parks do not allow this so check.

You didn't say where you'll be living but if you're close to Houston you might check PPL Consignment for RVs. It's also a good source to be able to look at floorplans and what kind of RV you can get for your budget. They have a good website.

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Check out Craigs List for getting a camper or fifth wheel moved. Drivers usually post under TRANSPORT and can charge as little as $1 a mile. It's a much cheaper option than owning a truck if you plan to move less than 1000 miles a year. Also, Star or Horizon RV Transport companies out of Goshen, IN do a lot of RV deliveries to RV dealers through the country. They are always looking for local haul jobs for their empty returning pickups.

You can always buy a pickup later as a option.

Greg

I wonder what to look for in deciding on one that is comfortable in cold weather?

In general you need things like dual pane windows, enclosed and heated waste tanks & plumbing, as high an R value of insulation in walls, roof, and floors as you can find. Most manufacturers have something that they call an Arctic package and those are a good idea, but be careful about what they may include or not include as the term is not standardized in the industry. Things like solid wood in at least the draw fronts and cabinet doors are important for continued good appearance. Construction of drawers and drawer slides is also important. Quality of wall coverings and upholstery is very important as is a good heating system(longer RVs should have two furnaces). Quality of construction is important since it will have a lot to do with the amount of air penetration and heat loss you will experience. In cold weather you will use a lot of propane so a larger supply can be important.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With regard to insulation factor ratings you also want to consider wall construction. Many have aluminum framing that.. regardless of the "published" wall R factor... will readily transfer cold/heat into your rig through the metal framing itself where there 'is' no insulation. Wood framed rigs do much better in colder climates in that regard, but on the other hand.. also are more susceptible to expansion/contraction.

Finding the highest ratings you can is obviously your best bet, but by any standard will still be 'much' more difficult/expensive to heat and cool than a mobile home or stick & bricks.

Check out Craigs List for getting a camper or fifth wheel moved. Drivers usually post under TRANSPORT and can charge as little as $1 a mile. It's a much cheaper option than owning a truck if you plan to move less than 1000 miles a year

Greg

Thanks Greg, I would not have thought to look there. That helps!

A couple of people have mentioned Mobile Homes as an option for us, since we are going to be stationary. I think that would be a good plan for us except for the lack of housing where we live. I'll explain why because I think the situation may be a phenomenon in other tourist areas, like where we live between Fresno and Yosemite. A lil background first, we own a home and we have to sell it. We have a mother in law suite that we rent out for a very low amt. When we advertise it, we get 100s of calls with people begging to stay, even willing to pay more than we are asking. The reason is there are a lot of low paying tourist industry jobs up here but unfortunately, not enough housing. And everyone that has a mother in law suite or an extra room or a cabin rents it out on Air BnB now. So, in a nutshell, thats the housing situation here..

uship.com may be a viable option for having your RV moved when necessary. Also, All major RV dealerships have drivers/movers on-call for their needs; you might have a conversation with a few dealerships on this subject to get an idea what to expect. Above all, you want a mover that is bonded, licensed in that state, and of course properly insured-to include the moved RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

May have mean to be included under the Mobile Home tip. But their are also units called Park Models. If you are not planning to move around, look for people trying to vacate a Park Model already established in a Trailer/RV Park that meets your location needs.

The plus for these, is they're usually a bit more roomy inside, and as with all things come in different levels of quality of construction too:)! The down side, is they're not as easy to have moved, or move yourself.

The 5th wheels usually provide the highest livability features between trailers and fivers. And you do not plan to travel on the road with it, buying an older higher end unit. Grand Teton, NuWa Hitchhikes, Royal International, etc., etc.

Kirk gave a good list of items to consider, when looking for any trailer or fiver.

And I have a good friend, that has never personal pulled his fiver. He had it delivered when he bought it, and it has moved a few times since then, always done by hiring someone to do it for him.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived