Towing Truck non-diesel ... Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Toyota? Input Please

OverSoul7

We pull a 16K 5th wheel with a 2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 gas with 4.30 gears, we use a SC because there are times we pull out 14.5 ft boat behind it. Been over some of the highest passes in Colorado and cruise down the interstate in 6th gear. The 6.2 is a amazing motor tied to the 6 speed.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Your picture shows a Pleasure Way. Being a former happy (except winter time) Pleasure Way owner you may want to re- consider a Medium sized Class C on a 450/4500 chassis and pull a small vehicle. The fully self-contained vehicle for short stays and in AZ, I have seem couples live for months in a PW using the Resort showers.

Keep researching and once you find a properly matched vehicle & RV you will look at others in the RV Parks and wonder how they can stop their rig going into a bind corner.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We pull a 16K 5th wheel with a 2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 gas with 4.30 gears, we use a SC because there are times we pull out 14.5 ft boat behind it. Been over some of the highest passes in Colorado and cruise down the interstate in 6th gear. The 6.2 is a amazing motor tied to the 6 speed.

Denny

Yes, the 350 would be able to handle the best. Unfortunately it is too rich for my blood. Fortunately, I do not want to tow the biggest I can. A used low mileage 250 is a possible and I am researching the differences because there are so many. Am also looking at other comparable trucks and have all models listed for the top 10 towing for 2013 to what is available for 2017 along with price ranges. I will not be buying quickly and really hoping year end clearance stocks the used car shelves by the time I know what I want. I know the trailer I want and I continue to learn what the truck specs must be to tow it while I weigh what I want to bring with and add that up. I want enough CCC for carpets on the floor and a little extra insulation where I can add it.

Int the meantime I continue to drive the Dodge 350 while I also continue to restore it. I love that truck. Having a bed and toilet in it is a plus too.

Denny

Remember the Toyota pickup that "pulled" the Space Shuttle in CA?

"Pulling power" is forever in the TV commercials - *never* stopping ability.

Potential of tail wagging the dog.

No offense - your dice to roll - but I would prefer to be driving *behind* the above - rather than in *front* of the combo..

Even my Dodge without towing requires stopping power. We have some serious hills here in Colorado. Don't even want to think about the ice that forms many times during the winter on the streets below the snow.

I am comfortable at not too big but know that too small is a mistake. Our trailer used to be a 1983 Chalet fold up/down. That is fun for weekends or maybe a week in good weather but you can see that from where we come from, stepping into something with more room can seem huge to us but that same trailer is going to seem way, way too small for anyone used to what most of you would be happy with. But then, when we go back to a stick I don't want anything bigger than one bedroom with a small den.

I want to go bigger than a Casita 17 foot but not anything larger then about 23 foot with the 21 seeming perfect yet I still do not have all the figures figured out if that is a good match or not. Some days this all seems impossible and I am glad to have heard from the smaller sized travelers as that's what keeps us going towards our dream. I have so many photos to take and paintings to paint.

Remember the Toyota pickup that "pulled" the Space Shuttle in CA?

"Pulling power" is forever in the TV commercials - *never* stopping ability.

Potential of tail wagging the dog.

No offense - your dice to roll - but I would prefer to be driving *behind* the above - rather than in *front* of the combo..

It's the same exact truck as the 6.7 diesel but with a 6.2 gas motor. With 14.25" dia rotors on the truck and 13" disks on the trailer it will stop on a dime so follow behind it you want but don't rear end my if I have to stop fast.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Archived