Good News

SuiteSuccess

Had a recent thread on my fan clutch. Upon Rick's (Rick & Alana) suggestion took it to B&B Truck Repair in Murfreesboro, TN. Small, busy shop with good ol' Tennessee boys. Ronnie, chief mechanic and shop foreman, met with me and after I pulled truck around he poked, prodded, pulled, tugged, watched, started and stopped truck. He then asked if it was a soft clanking sound I was hearing, which is exactly the sound I was concerned with. He explained the mechanics of the Horton fan clutch and that the shaft splines will get some wear and start making that sound. He reassured me the bearings and everything else were fine and even schooled me on what to watch for in case of a failing clutch. His diagnosis- everything normal and didn't need any replacement. Total charge for diagnosis and education - $0. Wouldn't take any money and told me just to remember them if I needed work done and tell others, so I am. Wow! Can't help but feel might have gotten a new clutch in a less honest shop. BTW on edit, gonna send him a gift card for the time and education.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It really is amazing when you come across and honest repairman, or shop! And we should be sending them more business. That way they stay around for a longer period of time.

The bad guys also stay around for a long time, but that is mainly because of how they get $$ out of the unsuspecting crowd.

So we do need to know who the good guys are.

Thanks Carl,

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Thanks for that recommendation! I've added B & B to my contacts.Is this the correct info:B & B Parts Sales & Service Inc1 Ratings | 1 Reviews1146 Haley RdMurfreesboro, TN 37129615-895-9508

That's the place. Ask for Ronnie if you need work. Maybe Mark can put it in the guide. Physical facilities are not impressive but ethics are impressive.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When Henry was looking for a shop to help with the install on my ET last year at the ECR he said he said I don't want a pretty shop he wanted one that looked a little rough with spare parts( junk) lying around. Carl thanks for the info on a decent shop.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

There are some of us with limited mechanical skills. In fact, my abilities, if exercised, generally lead to expensive repairs. Sadly, the Volvo dealer that is near me is slow and expensive. I would much rather find a good repair shop in the Phoenix area than use the dealer, though Volvos are largely computer managed and need a service facility that can access the computer for some repairs. The only major problem we have dealt with was the diesel particulate filter jamming full due to the failure of the regeneration sensor. That pretty much needed a Volvo dealer.

A HDT repair center resource would be a very useful data base.

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

Jem,

I agree a lot of problems require a large well equipped center and fortunately where I live have a fairly decent Volvo dealer. They are pricey though, $139/hr labor and parts not discounted. They quoted me $1600-$1800 for a new fan clutch replacement. Also most dealers charge "book times" for a job and told me this job would be six hours labor. I assume this would be the minimum labor charge but not maximum. B&B quoted half that price and half that time and told me I would only be charged for actual time. Plus as Rocky said above most good mom & pops try to do a good job and want to win your business. Large dealerships IMO want fleets and really not that interested in itinerants. Again just my opinions.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl glad you had good results!

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Carl glad you had good results!

Rick,

Thanks again for the referral.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

Glad to hear that you dodged a bullet on this one. Now you can buy more diesel.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived