Direct Link Brake Controllers

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

The sad thing is I don't know exactly when I lost the trailer brakes. I know I had them on the way to the ECR (dirt/gravel) because I skidded the tires coming out of the park we were in New Orleans to check them, but can't really say we had them since.

Hayes is going to work with me on a replacement. Not completely free, but they admitted that they have had a bad run of controllers in the past. Good enough for me.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

My truck is a 98 Volvo. I was doing google searches tonight about the Direct Link and this thread popped up. I just ordered the Hayes last night to replace my Prodigy. Will the direct link work on the older trucks? I'm starting to think I should have just spent the extra and bought the Direct Link. Probably not too late to cancel my order.............

2 hours ago, mike5511 said:

My truck is a 98 Volvo. I was doing google searches tonight about the Direct Link and this thread popped up. I just ordered the Hayes last night to replace my Prodigy. Will the direct link work on the older trucks? I'm starting to think I should have just spent the extra and bought the Direct Link. Probably not too late to cancel my order.............

It works flawlessly on my '99 Volvo. Very happy with it. Of course, don't know about '98, but I would certainly think so. Jay

On 7/16/2016 at 5:11 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Following another topic about the Hayes air to electric brake controller, http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hayes/HA100400C.html, and its rudimentary design has caused me to rethink the Hayes that we have in our Volvo.

I realize that I have told several others that the Hayes works and is simple, it does (or did) for us. But I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

With the resistance knob turned all they way counter clockwise I can feel a tug from the trailer, but in no way was it attempting to lock the brakes. We moved recently from one side of the park we're in too another a better site. The .5 mile journey was all on sand packed roads, so I played with the controller the entire distance. Not once could I skid the tires on sand. They would slow the truck, but even in gear at idle the truck would pull thru the trailer brakes.

First idea was to make sure that the trailer brakes were operating correctly. Pulled 2 of the Neverlube Drums off (aggravating enough in itself) inspected parts, wires, magnets, etc. Those 2 look great. Very little wear on the pads and drums.

Second idea was to make sure all the wiring was in working order. Had a neighbor plug in his truck, F350, and step on the brakes. With 1 trailer wheel jacked up, the brakes were tight. I could not rotate the tire at all.

Now doing all this jacking the tires up, and crawling around underneath gave me the proper excuse to buy another tool. Enter a clip on DC amp meter. UTI design, Amazon next day delivery, decent reviews.

So I started re-chasing the lack of brake issue with the meter. Started at the trailer axles working forward. Worked all the way to the Hayes Controller.... Its output is 2.4 amp at full resistance. Should be around 11 amps. (Should have started at the front)

Time to rethink the Hayes....

Knowing others have had issues with their Hayes, is it worth replacing 1 Hayes with another and hope it operates better, or just go with the Direct link?

So-

Has anybody put a Direct Link controller in an older Volvo- 1998 era, and what was the total price?

Off the DL site-

Controller is $345

Cables $124 for the Freightliner 6 pin cable-

I assume the Volvo cable would be the same 6-pin round port I have under the left side of the dash

Is this all that's needed?

Can it really be this easy to spend more money on this trucK! :D

I would replace with disc brakes. But the Neverlube axles would have to be replaced, and if we're replacing axles then we're doing MorRyde IS, and we're spending $5500 instead of $500.... :blink:

I went to the Direct link site and purchased their unit for what you stated above. 1997 Volvo WIA, won't be going back with the Hayes units...2 of them... That went tits up.  Have been using the DL now for almost 3 years or so. It works well.

Just now, mike5511 said:

Thanks for the responses!!! My decision has been made! I noticed you can buy the 9 pin to 16 pin adapters a whole lot cheaper than the cord Direct Link sells. Is there a good reason to spend the money on the higher priced cord?

No. No actual reason to buy an expensive adapter. It's expensive because you're a captive customer. You can buy it from a more reasonable source and it'll be just fine. Jay

12 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

No. No actual reason to buy an expensive adapter. It's expensive because you're a captive customer. You can buy it from a more reasonable source and it'll be just fine. Jay

Well its confusing. If you go on the Direct Link site they show some kind of little module or interface thing with the cable. I can't find out what that does or if it is even necessary??? Amazon has the best price. I'm wondering if customer support would be lacking if I didn't buy from one of their two recommended retailers?

15 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

Well its confusing. If you go on the Direct Link site they show some kind of little module or interface thing with the cable. I can't find out what that does or if it is even necessary??? Amazon has the best price. I'm wondering if customer support would be lacking if I didn't buy from one of their two recommended retailers?

Okay, my bad. The adapter to connect to your port is NECESSARY.. The nine to six pin is just a dongle. You order the pin layout you need, with the essential adapter. The adapter allows the DirectLink to communicate with your truck's ECM. You kinda have to get it from Tuson. Good luck, Jay

P.S. I had to go look it up to refresh my memory.

Edited by Jaydrvr

15 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Okay, my bad. The adapter to connect to your port is NECESSARY.. The nine to six pin is just a dongle. You order the pin layout you need, with the essential adapter. The adapter allows the DirectLink to communicate with your truck's ECM. You kinda have to get it from Tuson. Good luck, Jay

P.S. I had to go look it up to refresh my memory.

They sell a 9 or 6 pin to 16 pin adapter like on cars and what appears to come with the DirecLink for less than $20. My question is, why wouldn't that work? What does that little module (box) that comes with the adapter kit do? It must be necessary or why include it. Maybe it has some necessary electronic circuitry in it? $100+ is pretty outrageous for some wire and a couple of connectors. Link below is to a picture of the adapter kit I'm talking about.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tuson-RV-Brakes/335HDCON-9PIN-G500.html

22 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

They sell a 9 or 6 pin to 16 pin adapter like on cars and what appears to come with the DirecLink for less than $20. My question is, why wouldn't that work? What does that little module (box) that comes with the adapter kit do? It must be necessary or why include it. Maybe it has some necessary electronic circuitry in it? $100+ is pretty outrageous for some wire and a couple of connectors. Link below is to a picture of the adapter kit I'm talking about.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tuson-RV-Brakes/335HDCON-9PIN-G500.html

I'm fairly certain that there is circuitry in the module specific to the truck model ecm. That's what allows the DirectLink to work with multiple systems. It's not as simple as wiring and connectors. Plus, it's not a six to nine pin adapter, it's either six OR nine pins on the output of the adapter module. As I recall, the connection to the DirectLink module is an old legacy connector, such as for a printer or display. Just adapting that connection to your truck's data port is not gonna work, and could have unfortunate consequences. Good luck, Jay

P.S. There may be a workaround to the listed adapters, but considering the prices of the attached componentry, I was unwilling to fool around with it much.

Edited by Jaydrvr

32 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

I'm fairly certain that there is circuitry in the module specific to each truck model ecm. That's what allows the DirectLink to work with multiple systems. It's not as simple as wiring and connectors. Plus, it's not a six to nine pin adapter, it's either six OR nine pins on the output of the adapter module. As I recall, the connection to the DirectLink module is an old legacy connector, such as for a printer or display. Just adapting that connection to your truck's data port is not gonna work, and could have unfortunate consequences. The adapters you referenced will definitely get you to the right pin setup on the output side of the module, but doesn't account for the necessary interface. Good luck, Jay

P.S. There may be a workaround to the listed adapters, but considering the prices of the attached componentry, I was unwilling to fool around with it much.

Okay, that is what I figured, but couldn't find any information on. If the 9 to 16 pin adapters work on other test equipment, and they do,  I don't understand why it wouldn't for this. You say it won't work and I can't dispute that but I'd like to know why. I'm waiting on a return call from DirecLink, maybe they can answer my questions.

Edited by mike5511

7 minutes ago, mike5511 said:

Okay, that is what I figured, but couldn't find any information on. If the 9 to 16 pin adapters work on other test equipment, and they do,  I don't understand why it wouldn't for this. You say it won't work and I can't dispute that but I'd like to know why. I'm waiting on a return call from DirecLink, maybe they can answer my questions.

Okay, good luck with your process. It's certainly likely that you, or anyone for that matter, knows more about this than I do. I've had my system for a long enough time that I can no longer recall my research at the time. I do think there's a factor of diminishing returns re spending a lot of time on something rather than just going for it, but I most certainly understand the value of always getting the most bang for every buck. I have to say, the folks at Tuson were very helpful and available for assistance after the sale. Jay

17 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Okay, good luck with your process. It's certainly likely that you, or anyone for that matter, knows more about this than I do. I've had my system for a long enough time that I can no longer recall my research at the time. I do think there's a factor of diminishing returns re spending a lot of time on something rather than just going for it, but I most certainly understand the value of always getting the most bang for every buck. I have to say, the folks at Tuson were very helpful and available for assistance after the sale. Jay

My curiosity often slaughters the cat! But, at 66 years old, that ain't likely to change. lol  Just talked to Tuson and without getting technical he explained that the module is necessary and the unit won't work without it. Pretty much what everybody said, but now I heard it from the horse's mouth so to speak. And no, I'm not from the "Show Me" state of Missouri, but I can see it from here! I appreciate everybody's input on this!!!

14 hours ago, mike5511 said:

My curiosity often slaughters the cat! But, at 66 years old, that ain't likely to change. lol  Just talked to Tuson and without getting technical he explained that the module is necessary and the unit won't work without it. Pretty much what everybody said, but now I heard it from the horse's mouth so to speak. And no, I'm not from the "Show Me" state of Missouri, but I can see it from here! I appreciate everybody's input on this!!!

Thank you for going to the effort of finding out the real scoop on this. Nice to know, but unfortunately I'm not really sure I'll remember it a year from now!! Getting old may have its perks, but memory DEFINITELY isn't one of them! Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

12 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Thank you for going to the effort of finding out the real scoop on this. Nice to know, but unfortunately I'm not really sure I'll remember it a year from now!! Getting old may have its perks, but memory DEFINITELY isn't one of them!Jay

I have the same disease! Been looking for a 'Y' adapter so I can plug the brake controller and a scanner/monitor in at the same time. So far, I've found every kind of configuration except what I need. I have the 6-pin plug.

Edited by mike5511

2 hours ago, mike5511 said:

I have the same disease! Been looking for a 'Y' adapter so I can plug the brake controller and a scanner/monitor in at the same time. So far, I've found every kind of configuration except what I need. I have the 6-pin plug.

Like this? 

https://letstruck.com/collections/trucking/products/scangaugekr-splitter

This is the one I found and am using so I can have a ScanGauge connected also. Jay

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

On 9/2/2021 at 3:56 AM, Jaydrvr said:

Like this? 

https://letstruck.com/collections/trucking/products/scangaugekr-splitter

This is the one I found and am using so I can have a ScanGauge connected also. Jay

That is what I would need. My LCD readout on the left side of instrument cluster does not work. I had the cluster re-soldered and got all the gauges and lights working, but the little LCD readout is still dead. Need a little tablet and some kind of plug play scan thing. More research coming up. Ordered the DirecLink today!