Aggravating slow Verizon data speeds

We are in Homer, Alaska. While our MiFi speed hasn't been blazingly fast, it has slowed to a crawl since Friday afternoon. Well guess what, there has been a large influx of people to Homer for the 4th of July weekend.

I assume the arrival of lots of smart phones has overloaded what ever link Verizon uses to get to the internet. We have not noticed seen a problem with voice.

We saw the same issue in Skagway. When the cruise ships left port our data speed increased exponentially.

I understand that for most of the year, the population of these areas is very low, so little incentive for a cell phone company to increase bandwidth for just the summer months.

Still it is aggravating.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

According to their coverage map, Verizon doesn't have service in Homer. They use 3G from another carrier (extended 3G). It's not surprising that data speeds break down when user numbers increase.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

That's so nice you're in Alaska, I'm jealous!

Yes, the inconsistent speeds that occur when networks get overloaded are a real pain. It happened here in Lake City, Colorado, where we're spending our summer. We use our MiFi as a backup but when we're in weak coverage areas, our DataSat 840 (satellite Internet) is a lifesaver. If you travel to the fringes a lot it might be worth looking into.

Go out and enjoy your time up there!

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

Oh, yea! We are enjoying or time in Alaska. We are coming up on 2 weeks in Homer on Tuesday. We are waiting out the crowds for the 4th of July weekend. The trip has been no rush, no hurries, and no reservations. Off to Seward Tuesday. Going to take 2 days to drive the 170 miles. Overnight stop in Soldotna for supplies, laundry etc.

Thanks for the suggestion for Satellite internet. I would like to have it, but since we have no critical need for internet, like a business, if the internet is to slow or no cell signal we just do without for a few days.

We did look into Hughes DataStorm (I think that was the name) back in 2005 or 2006, but never made a purchase. We even attended a DataStorm RV gathering in Gila Bend and learned a lot about it. It was about that time cell coverage was increasing considerably.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Al,

It's been a few years since we did Alaska in our RV. But we found Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna to have the best fishing gear and at a better price than Fred Myers cheap stuff. I can't help with Seward as we stayed at the military recreation area there and used their boats for fishing in the bay and out in the Gulf. We did make a trip out to the exit glacier just outside of Seward, worth the hike. We went on to Valdez and stayed at Eagle's Rest RV park. Great folks there. There is a back road to the mountains in back of the residential area. The salmon hatchery on the other side of the water next to the oil pipeline terminal is a good sight if the salmon run is in progress. Good deep water charters out to Hinchinbrook on the Gulf of Alaska side of the island. Terrific "Barn Door" Halibut fishing there if lucky. We pulled in out limit of two 40-50 pound Halibut, and a 20 pound ling cod each. Saw a lot of whale, Sea Lions and puffin as well as eagles that would come down and take fish we threw out on the water for them in the bay.

We took the Cassiar Highway back and stopped for a lunch break at the Most unique place called Jade City in the middle of nowhere. We almost drove by but the Jade store has cheap souvenirs of real jade and surprisingly some beautiful jade art pieces. I am looking at the little piece of Jade the guy there on the giant jade saw cut for me for 50 cents. http://jadecity.com/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

we also came down the Cassier, in late August, spent a couple of nights boondocking along the road, and saw a SPECTACULAR display of the Aurora !

post-10577-0-52523800-1467599807_thumb.jpg

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Al Florida, we have friends that worked in Skagway the summer of 2014. About the only time they could use data was after midnight when the cruise ship folks were in bed. Al, when you get to Seward check out the hardware store across the street from a glacier booking kiosk. I think it was True Value but could have been one of the other brands.

Al,

It's been a few years since we did Alaska in our RV. But we found Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna to have the best fishing gear and at a better price than Fred Myers cheap stuff. I can't help with Seward as we stayed at the military recreation area there and used their boats for fishing in the bay and out in the Gulf. We did make a trip out to the exit glacier just outside of Seward, worth the hike. We went on to Valdez and stayed at Eagle's Rest RV park. Great folks there. There is a back road to the mountains in back of the residential area. The salmon hatchery on the other side of the water next to the oil pipeline terminal is a good sight if the salmon run is in progress. Good deep water charters out to Hinchinbrook on the Gulf of Alaska side of the island. Terrific "Barn Door" Halibut fishing there if lucky. We pulled in out limit of two 40-50 pound Halibut, and a 20 pound ling cod each. Saw a lot of whale, Sea Lions and puffin as well as eagles that would come down and take fish we threw out on the water for them in the bay.

We took the Cassiar Highway back and stopped for a lunch break at the Most unique place called Jade City in the middle of nowhere. We almost drove by but the Jade store has cheap souvenirs of real jade and surprisingly some beautiful jade art pieces. I am looking at the little piece of Jade the guy there on the giant jade saw cut for me for 50 cents. http://jadecity.com/

RV, thanks for the suggestions. I fish with my wallet instead of going out on a boat. With a RV fridge we just don't have the space to freeze 20-50 pounds of fish. Also I can't see paying the big bucks to freeze and ship the fish back. Here in Homer we are buying headed and gutted sockeye salmon for $4.50/lb and chum salmon for $2/lb with the head on. We have cooked pieces of both species of salmon and can't tell the difference between the Cadillac and the Chevy version.

In Homer, at the junction of East End Rd and Kachemac Dr, there is place which is selling fresh salmon on Tuesdays & Fridays. The commercial fishermen can only fish on Mondays & Thursdays. They ice down the days catch and the shop sells them the next morning. If you come to Homer check this place out. You do have to filet the salmon yourself.

We definitely are going to stop by the Jade place when we come down the Cassair Hwy. Hope we get to see the Aurora as others mentioned.

We are looking forward to a week or so in Valdez, also going to McCarthy and the Kennicott mine. Top of the World is on the schedule for mid to late Aug as well. Planning on spending a night or two boondocking on the TOW if weather is decent.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Back to the original topic, here in north Florida, our Verizon data has slowed to dial up speeds and has been that way for months. No response from Verizon as to why. We're about ready to make a switch. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Archived