Cleaning caulk

I was in the process of getting the teardrop ready to re-caulk and wanted to clean existing caulk. Tried alcohol, did not work.

Had been working with 3M VHB tape (I use it for a number of things) and tried some of the 3M cleaner. Worked beautifully. It is however very expensive. I recognized some of the smells from the cleaner having dealt with some of them in industry. One stood out so I checked the MSDS sheet and found Xylene. Found it in quarts and gallons at Home Depot, Picked up a quart and tested it on a couple of spots to make sure it would not cause damage, no problem, and it works well.

Looking at the MSDS sheet I did it outside with a swift breeze, that or the correct gas mask filter. It is also very flammable.

That's something I would never recommend anyone doing, even if they had double-checked to insure the RV insurance and life insurance was paid in full. There are numerous retail products sold that remove oxidation completely. I use a marine boat hull rubbing/polishing compound with my 10" electric buffer.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I think he was trying to remove the caulk in the term joint sealer.

Not as in fiberglass chalking and then streaking down the windshield.

I use what auto painters use just before they spray paint a car.

Safe Travels, Vern

.Had been working with 3M VHB tape (I use it for a number of things) and tried some of the 3M cleaner. Worked beautifully. It is however veryexpensive. I recognized some of the smells from the cleaner having dealt with some of them in industry. One stood out so I checked the MSDS sheet and found Xylene. Found it in quarts and gallons at Home Depot, Picked up a quart and tested it on a couple of spots to make sure it would not cause damage, no problem, and it works well.

That is probably OK to use for removal of caulking materials from a metal skin RV, but I'm not so sure about fiberglass skin and I know that I'd never use it on any of the EDPM or other rubber-like roof materials.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've tried most everything to clean the dirt out of the caulk, 409, camp stove fuel.

The latest thing which I tried worked the best. Mothers Wheel and Tire Cleaner, in a red pump bottle. Shoots a foam so lots of 'hang time'. I use a dishwasher brush to scrub then rinse.

Trust me, this really works. It may take most of a bottle to do a 40' trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard about LA's Totally Awesome from Dollar General, and it worked great. Mixed about 15 ounces in a gallon of water, and used a soft car wash brush. When I was done, the rig looked like new at all the caulk joints.

• 1 month later...

I use soap and water to clean my caulk, but i clean it quite frequently, some times i can get my wife to clean my caulk which is even better, but she thinks it's a chore, but she does it anyway just because it pleases me. bottom line if you keep your caulk clean it won't be hard to keep it clean, plus it won't have the odor of dirty caulk, you know that rubber smell you get from being covered for periods of time. so just soap and water turns the trick for me. Good luck

Actually I was using it to clean the dirt etc from the surface of the caulk, though it does a good job at cleaning the Filon before applying new caulk.

My experience/trial and error, finally discovered that turpentine cleans old caulking best, plus it softens and removes the "skin"; exposing an excellent surface for adherence to new caulking.

It is not a petroleum-based product, has a relatively-high flash-point and low evaporation rate, which means fumes are negligible.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived