Portable solar panels

maggie blair

Maggie, no current solar system can run your A/C that is portable, or even mountable on the roof of any RV, even 40 feet long. For air conditioning you need to run your generator. Is your class A equipped with a genset built in?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Technically solar won't/don't run a/c. 12v v 120v. All the solar does is charge batteries to provide power to an inverter that 'may' run your a/c. For a short time. Very short time!!!

Shore power or generator is your only realistic option.

regards

Not much chance of enough solar in a 26' RV to operate your air conditioner. You probably need about 12a at 120v and converting that from a 12V battery means you need at least 120a at 12V, plus any inverter losses. While it is theoretically possible, it is not at all practicle in either design or cost. You will need your generator set to do that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Maggie, no current solar system can run your A/C that is portable, or even mountable on the roof of any RV, even 40 feet long. For air conditioning you need to run your generator. Is your class A equipped with a genset built in?

Yes, but the group I plan on traveling with doesn't approve of generators so I was hoping to get some portable solar.

Maggie Blair

Not much chance of enough solar in a 26' RV to operate your air conditioner. You probably need about 12a at 120v and converting that from a 12V battery means you need at least 120a at 12V, plus any inverter losses. While it is theoretically possible, it is not at all practicle in either design or cost. You will need your generator set to do that.

Thanks Kirk.

Maggie Blair

Technically solar won't/don't run a/c. 12v v 120v. All the solar does is charge batteries to provide power to an inverter that 'may' run your a/c. For a short time. Very short time!!!

Shore power or generator is your only realistic option.

regards

Thanks so much.

Maggie Blair

Sounds like a HOA group. I personally would find another group. What are they going to do if you pull out a 2000 watt Honda that they can't hear, take away your birthday and tell you to leave the area? Free country.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Maggie, I applaud your plans to try to fit into the group. A lot of people are very tired of spending their camping time surrounded by the noise and stink of generators and if you want to spend time with them as a welcome member you'll need to fit in.

A big solar panel should fit on your roof nicely or a couple smaller ones. There is a bit to designing and setting up a good system but folks here can point you to quality places to get it done that and a controller should meet your minimum needs, adding a second battery and a small pure sine-wave inverter would be nice for TV and such. I really lean to recommending built-in solar to most folks as it just seems to be less aggravation and doesn't eat up your storage space.

A portable system can make a reasonable amount of power but it will be work to set and take down, need space to store and be more subject to wind damage or theft. Now you don't see a lot of theft but external generators and portable solar are both very attractive targets.

--------------

Ronbo, you have the right idea there, if you want to join a group but don't want to conform to the groups desires you should find another group.

I don't know what her group would do if she showed up with a generator but groups I belonged to would pick up and move, and we'd never share camping dates or locations with the generator user again. The generator versus solar issue was a major point of contention when we did group rallies and it took a good bit of effort to try to sort folks out into areas where all could be happy. If one wishes to be thought well of their exercise of their liberties should consider others.

We had both solar and a generator so we had the option to use either or both, our decision on what to use depended on our neighbors desires. If we were with solar-only folks and really needed the generator we'd move to a spot that would not offend, far harder to make new good friends than to make a 15 minute move. If we found our neighbors generators aggravating we'd move, no sense fussing at them, if they cared they'd have asked.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yes, but the group I plan on traveling with doesn't approve of generators so I was hoping to get some portable solar.

They the probably won't be using any air conditioners either. I doubt that you will find any of those friends operating a/c. Even the largest of solar arrays would struggle to supply a/c for very long. One of the main reasons that so may people do their boodock camping in winter only is the lack of ability to run air conditioning from solar systems. If you go far enough north, or stay near the coast, or go up in altitude, those all reduce the need for air conditioning. I'm a fresh air person and try to minimize my a/c use but my mate is one who don't like heat much so we kind of play a balancing game on that score. Even though we traveled in a class A with an on-board generator set, we seldom operated ours for more than occasional dry camping for a night or two but we did run it continuously once for 4 days when parked in a parking lot.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If you are looking for cooler spots for summer boondocking, high is good, north is good and both can have you digging out a sweater in August.

Here in AZ compare Happy Jack (6792' currently 78) and Phoenix (1200' currently 105) which are only 135 road miles apart.

Up is good but the 55 morning temp in Happy Jack is sweater weather for me!

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I think those that need to run a generator should camp on the outskirts of the group. I also have a nice large generator and over 1000 watts of solar. I just upgraded to lifepo4 batteries. I haven't used the generator to run the RV since I installed it on my truck. I use it to run my welder and plasma cutter. Things I can't run off my inverter. If they need repairs I bet they wouldn't object to a generator being used.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Archived