Transmission Fluid Question

SuiteSuccess

Background is 2008 F450 SD with 6.4l motor. Truck has only 22,000 miles and has pulled my camper less than ten times for short hauls. NO history of heavier pulls than that. Fixing to pull my camper with grandkids on short trip ~60 miles each way. Was checking transmission fluid while cold and noticed some "gunk" on the dipstick as shown in the pics. Fluid level checks fine. This gunk is chunky but breaks into a fine "powder" if squeezed and dissolves completely in transmission fluid if vigorously mixed. Have not checked fluid while hot but will do so today. Is this just dried transmission fluid I'm picking up from the dipstick tubing or signs of trouble? Leaving on trip early Tuesday so can't take into shop to change fluid and filter. Question two, am I safe taking on the short trip?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I know what others are probably going to say.....

But with the few miles on it, I'd say it's just normal clutch material that has separated out of the fluid.

Unless you've been stump pulling or being real hard on it from a standing stop its ok.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I know what others are probably going to say.....

But with the few miles on it, I'd say it's just normal clutch material that has separated out of the fluid.

Unless you've been stump pulling or being real hard on it from a standing stop its ok.

I agree with Jim, but I'm thinking that when you return get it flushed, then keep an eye on it.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I would send a sample to Blackstone labs so you know what is going on.

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Thanks Folks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I might be tempted to drop the pan and clean it out and replace the filter while I was there but if you have someone else do it for you, don't believe the sales pitch that your transmission is about to go.

Like the others have said, this is normal clutch material wear on a relatively new tranny and is not a big issue.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Found discussion on Dieselstop and as Roger suggested will get flush and change when I return. Also apparently 2008 notorious for dipstick tubing rusting and causing something like this so will probably get that changed out also.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I might be tempted to drop the pan and clean it out and replace the filter while I was there but if you have someone else do it for you, don't believe the sales pitch that your transmission is about to go.

Like the others have said, this is normal clutch material wear on a relatively new tranny and is not a big issue.

Thanks David, think I'll just take it in. Know it will be more expensive but I'm not that mechanical and want it done right. I should have added as I was checking met some resistance inserting and removing dipstick so makes me think there may be something to the rusted tube.

Found this also and this is exactly what I'm seeing.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/looking-used-08-f250-found-yikes-304876/

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Since your taking into the shop.... Lots of issues with that model year...have them check that all of the recalls have been complied with. Might have them look at the radiator for cracking where the end tanks join. Ask them to print off an "Oasis report for your truck. You might want to have the fuel filters changed. Ask the service department to give you a list of the "new" maintenance intervals for this truck. Ford has modified lots of their recommendations since the truck was built. This model engine loves clean fuel and oil.

You might want to think about a ScanGauge II to monitor items your regular gauges don't cover.

Since your taking into the shop.... Lots of issues with that model year...have them check that all of the recalls have been complied with. Might have them look at the radiator for cracking where the end tanks join. Ask them to print off an "Oasis report for your truck. You might want to have the fuel filters changed. Ask the service department to give you a list of the "new" maintenance intervals for this truck. Ford has modified lots of their recommendations since the truck was built. This model engine loves clean fuel and oil.

Will do Scott, thanks for the info. That's why this forum is so great. Folks are so helpful.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived