Traveling I 90 W through Chicago

vt3fan

Last year my wife and I traveled from the New England area to Rapid City, South Dakota area and did so almost entirely on I 90. For the most part it was ok, except for Chicago area, which was an experience that we would not like to duplicate. This year,we are looking at I 80 and then picking up either I 29 or I 35 N once we are safely by Chicago. Any suggestions or tips or warnings you could pass along? We are towing a 5th Wheel trailer.

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

I 80 south of Chicago can still be a little dicey but much better than going through Chicago. Once west of Chicago you can pick up I39 and go north towards Madison, WI where you can pick up 94 and 90 again. I39 north is a piece of cake.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

If you are using toll roads already why not take the I90 Exit 21 down to I94 west which merges with I80 west at Ripley St and stay on I80 to I294 and merge with I355 north to I88 west to I39 north to intersect with I90 west (Jane Addams Memorial Tollway) at Rockford, IL and then continue on I90 west to Rapid City.

I don’t know how you handle your drive time and overnight stops so you may want to research this route for places to stop.

Safe travels and good luck.

Last month we came in from the west on I-55 and took I-90/I-80 to Elkhart. The good news is that we did it, the bad news is that it was pretty much 18-wheelers in every lane. Coming out of Elkhart to go to SD we went south to US24 and took it across to I-39; a bit longer but much less stressful. After 50k+ miles of driving our MH I pretty much can drive it most anywhere, but I hate to subject myself to unnecessary hassle if there's a way to avoid it.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

You could also do 'scenic' if not in a hurry and travel through Michigan's Upper Peninsula via Hwy 2 and stay on it until the Pacific Ocean. We've done that and it's a great ride.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thanks to all for some great advice. Now to review all and make a decision........

Rick & Mary Sorensen

Molly - Boston Terrier

2016 Ford F350 DRW 6.8 L diesel

2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSDB3

Full Timers w/ SD Residency

I would suggest I-80 thru Chicago all the way to Omaha. Then catch I-29 North to Sioux Falls, then I-90 West to Rapid. Drove this stretch twice last year, and much prefer to the I-39 route.

I'd go this way too. I-80 through the south side of Chicago. Did it a couple weeks ago heading east. Road construction and the crappy bumpy roads suck but otherwise easy going. I'm sure going west bound will be the same.

Archived