Turning Windows Defender on in Win 10

DJW

I upgraded son's old ACER 5532 from Win7 Home to Win 10 today. When it is up and running I get a message the Windows Defender has been turned off. It says if I am using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software use Security and Maintenance to check that app's status. I am not sure what the means or how to turn Windows Defender on. I have CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Super Antispyware installed on the machine. Is one of them somehow interfering with Defender being turned on? Thoughts

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Go to start...Programs...System Tools...right click on Windows Defender...send too... Desktop Window Defender(create shortcut)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

in Win 10, to turn on Defender, click - Start - Settings - Update & Security, then click Windows Defender in the left menu list and click the button under Real Time Protection, to turn it ON or OFF

Jim

I have been an IT guy for over 20 years. best to leave it off, an use malwarebytes and superantispyware . windows defender an microsoft security essentials are a total waste of time. i have fixed 100's of pc's that ppl had relied on using them only.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

wildmandmc

I have been using only windows security for years and have never had a problem. I used MSE and now Defender as part of a package including CCleaner, superantispyware and Malwarebytes.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

Most folks I know are not using Super antispyware (SAS) but just Defender and now Malwarebytes antimalware, along with Malwarebytes premium and CCleaner. CCleaner removes cookies and enables collecting any you want to keep. I just leave them to be cleaned and just log in when needed. People get passionate about their choice of Apps but all I use are Malwarebytes and defender backed up by CCleaner for Start-up changes and cookie cleaning and control. One other thing is that if there was a factory installed AV program with a free year etc. like AVG, Kaspersky, Norton. Mcafee. If any of those are installed you need to get the specific removal tool from a secure company (Nortom, mcAfee, etc) webpage, just using Windows uninstall is not enough.

I am not throwing stones at SAS. Superantispyeware is free so uninstall it and see if after an additional boot defender comes up. If so, then leave SAS off and report back.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

I uninstalled SAS and no change. Same msg. I ran the AVG Remover tool before but I am running it again. It is strange that I have SAS both on my laptop and Linda's with no problems with Defender. I installed SAS on my Daughter-in-laws computer and found 1494 threats mostly cookies and 6 unwanted programs. It took the better part of 6 hours to clean them all off. I than ran Malwarebytes and still found another 27 threats. CC then had 2.5 full pages of registery issues. This thing was a mess. She had 5 OS's including Java loaded. They both use chrome. I took everything off of Steve's except of Edge and IE. He only uses it for the DVD player and his workouts. Steve's is the one that is given me the Defender msg.

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have now uninstalled CCleaner and Malwarebytes and nothing has changed. I still get the same msg when I turn the computer on and it's boots up. There are now no 3rd party malware/anti virus software programs on the laptop so I am not sure what may cause Defender not to turn on?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

it could be the uninstall left some bits of one of the competing anti virus programs and Win10 thinks its still there; or it could be several other Win10 related issues. this inability to turn on Defender is a common issue on Microsoft forums.

my only remaining suggestion is to open up Control Panel, select the Security & Maintenance item; then click the down arrow next to Security, and see whats listed there as the active Virus and Spyware protection. that may give a hint, if its not Defender

Jim

Archived