New toy -- 4 out of 5 dentists approve...

Nuke-E

So this isn't strictly HDT-related, yet. I stumbled across the idea of using a dental air compressor while looking at pictures of a garage build, and finally pulled the trigger on one this past week (after going to the dentist, and confirming that there really was an air compressor in one of the cabinets in the office). Cost delivered was $180 for a 1-hp, 2-gallon model that will fit into the storage bay vacated by the old lead acid batteries.

Of course, when it showed up, I pulled it out of the box and turned it on. Eventually, I found a package with the instructions, and a muffler and short piece of tubing, which made it a lot quieter. Still haven't read the instructions...

Here's a video put out by the manufacturer: Comparison with pancake compressor

And here's my own showing just how much of a difference the muffler makes: My compressor, running in the kitchen, with and without muffler

So my next project is going to be figuring out how to plumb air from this compressor into the truck. In some way, I'd either like to take advantage of the truck's drier, or install a dessicant drier of some sort. Being an oil-free compressor, at least oil contamination won't be a problem. Any thoughts/suggestions?

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Steve & webee ......time ....no prob....

We're retired .....and a big truck keeps us out of the bars....

Drive on......(Dolly and Trolley are basking in Death Valley....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I'm not looking to run anything too major for any extended amount of time--1.1 CFM at 90 psi is comparable to other 1-hp compressors, and typical of those with 2-gallon tanks.

So far, it's doing the job. Once I get it tied in to the truck tanks, it should be able to act like a much bigger compressor, and reduce my idle times when getting ready to hit the road.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

A product line to consider: http://kussmaul.com/auto%20pumps%20index.html

Made for fire trucks and such, but 12V and 120V options to suit different use cases. The 100psi models are intended to keep the tanks at/above 90psi, so the parking brake will safely release immediately though the engine-driven compressor is expected to come alive to get to 125psi. The 125psi models are for those who want/need full pressure when offline. They've got a nice variety of battery chargers that could be useful in some situations, plus generator/mains transfer switches and some other goodies of note. They're very well respected in the fire service, for what that's worth.

Kassmaul does make nice gear. Our ambulances had viar compressors in them to keep the airbags inflated. When they burned up within 3 months we swapped them for kassmaul's those ones were in service more than 3 years. Our fire trucks had docking stations. Back in the bay and hop out. plug in the ceiling hanging power cord and air line. When the bells went off you jumped in and when you hit the starter button the air line and power cord automatically disconnected.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

You know you are a gearhead when you ask your dentist to see their air compressor! :lol: Mine looks at me funny enough when I'm a 40 year old trying to sneak a DumDum or two out of the basket.... :ph34r: I do have to admit that I've wondered a couple of times where the vacuum comes from, and how does it separate out the stuff it sucks up??

Well, I'd already checked out his vacuum-forming setup, so I wasn't shy when it came to the air compressor.

And you don't have to sneak out with the DumDums--I hear those are good for business!

Archived