Manual Awning Question

We have a Carefree manual awning on our 5th wheel. We don't leave it out all the time, especially not when there's a chance of windy, stormy weather. I'll sometimes run tie downs off of it, but usually I just close it when we are going to be away and especially overnight. (Saying this to try to avoid the old discussion about whether or not to leave it out).

My question is this: which do you think is better; leaving the legs attached to the camper or swinging them out and staking them to the ground? Why?

Thanks!

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

We leave ours attached to the MH . Locked in place and no chance of stakes pulling up . I stretch the down stay arms ( the smaller sliding arms ) as much as possible , which eliminates a huge amount of flapping . We've used anti flap clamps in years past , but have not this year with no ill effects and less hassle .

Yesterday we had 30+ MPH winds . I simply lowered the main arms as much as possible and still utilize the lock pins . The awning is still in the same position this afternoon as we are expecting winds and likely heavy rain this evening .

Goes around , comes around .

For me, it just depends upon the situation and how we are using it. When you set the arms on the ground they are much less in the way and especially so if you are coming and going a lot. I also use the awning arm anchors when I do so. We don't put the arms down if we are just sitting out for the evening and not entertaining since it is much less trouble to do and it is easier to put the awning up as well as taking much less time.

41D-X0BBSyL._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yesterday , we had a rather sudden wind come up , which resulted in both Pat and I hanging on to either end of the large awning in order to keep it down . Thankfully , the wind was short lived and we retracted the awning safely .

A neighbor was not so fortunate . His staked out awning came undone and evidence was obvious this morning .

Goes around , comes around .

Yesterday , we had a rather sudden wind come up , which resulted in both Pat and I hanging on to either end of the large awning in order to keep it down . Thankfully , the wind was short lived and we retracted the awning safely .

A neighbor was not so fortunate . His staked out awning came undone and evidence was obvious this morning .

Reminds me of one of our adventures. It had been cloudy and heavy all morning, but we wanted to sit out and drink our coffee so I put the awning out. After we finished, I thought, "We aren't going anywhere and we might want to sit outside some more so I'll leave it out." You guessed it: before we knew it there was a clap of thunder immediately followed by wind and a downpour. I ran out and started dropping the "bouncing" awning. As I held the strap, rolling it up, the rain was pouring - and dumping all the water on me. In just those few seconds I was drenched and laughing at the whole situation. No harm - no foul, and a good story.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

When we had manual awnings I always liked the legs down, used to be referred to garage port option, but I always left them in the brackets on the side of the trailer for the exact reasons Pete and Pat described. Things can go wrong in a rush and it is very easy to get hurt trying beat the wind.

Archived