Out of Memory - Win 10

fortytwo

Set my Dell Inspiron 15 up to run a slide show on the screen and via HDMI to a TV for a party. Since I only needed a couple of hours I didn't bring the power cord. At an hour and 20 minutes I got a black screen on the Dell. Rats! New laptop and less than an hour and a half on the battery - so I closed the laptop and took everything home.

When I plugged in the power cord the screen had an "out of memory" message. I have 16GB of memory in the laptop. The slideshow had 190 photos 4.5 - 7.5 mb each with total size on the hard drive of 1.1 GB. The Dell has enough memory to load the entire file. The Dell does have a 128GB SSD and a 1TB hard drive.

I returned a Surface Pro with Win 10 last summer due to an "out of memory" message.

In both cases even the most elementary OS should have been able to manage the assigned tasks. Two different hardware platforms so a glitch between the SSD and hard drive is unlikely the culprit, but can't be ruled out. My assessment is that Win 10 has a memory management glitch. Anyone else encountered this?

Yes, the one laptop (of my 3) that I upgraded to try out Win10, repeatedly goes into that out of memory screen, followed by a forced shut down if I don't exit all open programs. The same programs and activities are used on my other laptops with Win7 have no such issues. It only happens occasionally, usually when I'm running some type of video within IE11. I'm not sure what to blame it on, but its a definite memory leak and keeps recurring enough that I'm not upgrading my other 2 laptops to Win10 until I figure it out.

Jim

I'm still happy I decided to not do the upgrade to W10. In fact, I have GWX panel installed on my W8.1 computers to prevent problems with W10 automatic downloads.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Been using 10 since last summer and never had a problem with memory. And I usually have 7-8 applications running all the time. At initial startup I get a 100% disk usage (Task Manager) but that is my Malware scanning things for a few minutes. Memory usage is usually around 50-55% and I only have 4 GB.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

just like rv said, first for me hearing of this. an i have installed over 20 times on clients pc's. could also be a malware/virus infection causing this.

do a scan with superantispyware. complete scan , prior to scan check box's for empty temp files. close browsers. include zip files. low boost.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

If you guys ever said ok to a video download to view any video online, that could be the vector. Since it has happened on two completely different computers in one household I would expect it is an infection. Duplicating a corrupted file on two systems is not that easily reproducible. What are you both using for any type of Utilities? Like any registry cleaners or tune-up programs, cleaners or other super duper tweakers? The two with the same problems says both have been to the same infected website or been subjected to one of the flaky utilities that folks experiment with.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV, it's definitely a Win10 problem. My first event was with a MS Surface PRO I bought at Costco. Happened within the 1st week I had it and I returned it. Hadn't done any surfing with it. Just setting it up while I was camped on a lake with limited internet connections :) . Don't go bouncing around to strange sites or clicking on links I don't recognize with the Dell. I have 4 other laptops and 3 tablets for that. With 16GB ram I could have loaded the entire batch of photos into memory. It probably cycled through the batch 6-8 times before the black screen (haven't tested the time for one cycle but will do so).

As others are encountering the same problem, some multiple times, it has to be some sort of memory leak or the OS gets lost in a stack somewhere. Lots of different hardware involved so pretty well rules that out. I don't use Edge so don't think it's involved. I have a 4GB graphics card, one notch below the best available.

One other possible culprit: the error message is bogus and the crash is caused by something else. It's a pretty amateur message: just out of memory - no error number to reference. When I clicked on the more info option it went to a generic list of pablum that had nothing to do with memory management. The volume of updates indicates Win 10 is not yet a mature system. Maybe by 10.3. Think I'll stay with Win7 on my HP Envy as Win10 doesn't have drivers for the Scanner on my Cannon Printer, and MS won't get to 10.3 while the upgrade is still free.

That Acer 2-in-1 looks interesting. Competition is great!

Competition is great!

What are your other systems running because bud I would say you have an infection or you are running a piece of software on both that is corrupting files. Do you use any superduper tweaking programs and cleaners other than CCleaner? Those others with a similar problem are very few as I have never heard of it until you brought it up. I would back up the computers and do a factory restore using the windows 10 built in recovery system to wipe all your personal data and programs for a clean install. Then load you programs and data back on each only after you run scan on them from the now clean computer. Then load one program at a time and see which is doing it. Having it happen on two would lead me to believe it is local to you as no one else here has experienced it.

I still have not taken the time to sell my 5 excess laptops and tablet hybrids and of all none exhibit those symptoms, or any bad symptoms and all are fully updated as soon as updates are available.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, It's a rare bird glitch. Your link shows less than 20 users reporting the problem. However the reports cover a wide spectrum from August 2015 to two days ago. My Surface Pro event was in August 2015, and it was an "all Microsoft" event - hardware, OS, and software. Think I may have downloaded Mozilla, but nothing else. The Dell was only running WIN 10 and the Microsoft or Dell installed slideshow software. Both were one time events. Only kept the Surface 2 weeks but have had the Dell 4 months. Virtually impossible to fix a problem that can't be replicated, but does't mean it doesn't exist.

A couple of folks are reporting multiple, and frequent failures. Opportunity to define the problem there, but no evidence MS is interested. Maybe if hundreds of BSOD reports begin to flow in, but so far it's a "non destructive" crash - just have to reboot and re-open your programs. I expect MS to focus resources on other issues unless a substantial number of reported crashes occur AND user data begins to be effected.

Absent frequent events, or loss of data, it isn't worth spending my "no green banana" time on the problem either.

I have a couple of current technology laptops: the Dell (I-7 & Win 10) and an HP Envy (I-7 and Win7). Older ones include a couple of Win 7's, XP, and a dual boot XP-Win95 that's over 10 years old. I's give 'em away except after I removed the hard drives they wouldn't be worth cost of adding a hard drive, except maybe to someone with your skills.

Wes,

I'm typing this on my Surface Pro 3. i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Windows 8.1 native, upgraded to 10 when I bought it new a few months ago. All my programs and utilities, Malwarebytes Premium, Windows Defender both real time together, and now Thanks to Joel Malwarebytes antiransomware beta.

No glitches of any kind on my Dell XPS One 2720 i7 8GB, SSD/HARD DRIVE COMBO, Win 8.0 Pro native upgraded to 10.

Lenovo All In One i5, 4GB/2TB Win 8.1 native upgraded to 10.

2Windows 7 Laptops, one old Compaq Celeron single core, 4GB/256GB SSD upgrade, Windows 10.

Other Laptop is a fast Toshiba 17" AMD A6 Quad core, 6GB/256GB SSD, upgrade, native Windows 7, Windows 10.

My Surface 3 Pro,

Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet 4GB/64 GB, Atom Z3770 Windows 8, upgraded to 10

ASUS, Hybrid tablet laptop, 4GB/64GB, Atom Z3795, 11.6" native 8.1 upgraded to 10

HP tower desktop AMD Quad, 8GB/256GB SSD, Windows 7, upgraded to 10

Voyo mini PC desktop Atom Z3735, 4GB/64GB, Win 8.1, upgraded to 10.

No glitches. Anyone welcome to stop by and check em out, the laptops and hybrid tablet and tower desktop are for sale.

But if it were a Windows 10 issue, I should have seen it in one of them.

Half of them required me to upgrade the drivers from the vendor website or glitches might happen.

Check your manufacturer website to see if you have newer drivers needed for 10?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV, I fear your zeal to defend Win 10 has led you to miss my point.

"But if it were a Windows 10 issue, I should have seen it in one of them."

Less than 20 folks out of the millions using Win 10 have reported the "out of memory" BSOD. The fact that your above average collection of hardware did not encounter it is not surprising. Doesn't mean some sort of problem can't exist. Since I encountered it twice, on different, and I believe clean, hardware, I posted to see if anyone else had. Turned out I'm not the only one, but there are not many of us. The number who encountered but didn't report are unknowable. Only two report encountering it frequently. In the world of possibilities each could be from a different cause. Or, each could have exactly the same glitch. Given the millions of systems in use, and the "billions and billions of billions and billions" (to paraphrase Carl Sagan) of routines run, less than 20 not going to generate a populist demand for a solution. Except to two cases, dropping a single bit could have caused it. If only all Win 10 problems could be this insignificant.....

Please don't take this as a slam. You're a marvelous, and generous, source of expertise for this community, and I've benefited from that often.

Wes,

Glad to try to help. When it's this rare it is usually a third party piece of software interacting with 10. If you want to solve it you've eliminated it being the hardware already. That's why I asked about utilities you run/ran, and antimalware. I'd look for software you load on all your systems that me and the others don't.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived