Freightliner charging battery while towing

GlennWest

Comparable equipment, comparable results. Increase the wire size and the connector size, increase the charge rate.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Same as your other truck Glenn. The Jackalopee I believe is set up to pass 60amps to your RV if you size your wiring right. On our Volvo, the factory 12v line to the trailer moves 10amp at idle. Not much but it does stay ahead of all the misc draw.

The Volvo has a 140amp alternator, that feeds the 3 truck batteries and feeds the truck "house batteries" that powers the inverter, microwave, etc.

When the truck is running they stay charged without issue.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

There are a lot of factors involved. First starting up the HDT takes more amperage (reason why they 3-4 batteries in lieu of the maximum 2 that a LDT with a diesel might have) as such the starting batteries will probably want to recharge first and will take most of the amps from the alternator, plus they have the larger cables running to them. Then the items in the HDT like the Fridge and inverter (I assume the Micro wave is running off of 12 volts) will be wanting the current first.

Next the amount of current flow to the trailer is dependent on the distance & what size cable and plug you have going to the trailer and most likely that is not much bigger than the LDT. Then you also have the size of the cable on the trailer and how far that is which assuming you made no changes to that is still limiting the amount of current.

Our Freightliner did not even have a 12 volt power feed wired up to the trailer plug so we had to add one coming off the batteries. Just wanted enough power to keep batteries in the trailer topped off while the fridge is running on propane and 12 volts.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have residential fridge with inverter also. It pulls on batteries. I do have 4 so no problem. You got me thinking though. Will be wiring this as soon as I can go get it. Boy timing sucked on this. First flood by Sabine in over a decade. Be easy to change wire in Teton. Will be running wire on truck.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived