Shore plug protectant

Yarome

What do others use to help protect their shore plug on the road when not in use? Mine is an exterior plug with spring flip down door as opposed to being in an internal bay.

Wintering in the SW it's easy to go for months without having to "plug in", but once moving North again it seems like it's always a chore to clean out all the road grease/grit, dirt/sand & oxidation out of my plug before I can use it again. Are there any quick 'n' easy tips to keeping it clean.. or at least make for an easier clean-out?

In the past I've tried dielectric grease, but that just gunks things up even worse and really makes a mess cleaning it out. Generally I just end up flushing it and going at it with de-ox and a brush, but every time I have to do it I can't help but think, "there's gotta be an easier way."

A picture would help, but I would wonder about just getting a blank plug and securing it in there to "take the hit" while on the road. No cord at all, just a plug. It sounds like you just have a receptacle and plug your cord in there and at the post of the campground?

Cheers,

Don

I have never had an RV with the removable cord like you have but I have observed a few who did and have seem some folks stuff that space with some sort of material to keep things from getting into it. I also saw one that had put weather stripping around the inside edge of the cover, probably for the same reason.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It sounds like you just have a receptacle and plug your cord in there and at the post of the campground?

Correct.

some folks stuff that space with some sort of material to keep things from getting into it. I also saw one that had put weather stripping around the inside edge of the cover, probably for the same reason.

exterior_power_inlet_013_zpsi0nli9en.jpg

I've tried stuffing it with treated fabric before, but "out of sight out of mind" and when I've gotten around to eventually plugging in, the material has always seemed to have magically disappeared. :o:lol:

I do have some weather seal around the cap, but it would probably have to be screwed shut to get enough compression to keep all the grit and crud out. I don't know why it's never dawned on me before, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt covering it with plastic wrap and securing it on the outside threads with an elastic... if there is enough space between the threads and the lid. Hmm.. I wonder if enough air would still get in to "flap" the plastic wrap enough to tear it (?).

I was hoping for some magical off-the-wall something or other I could just spray in that would prevent oxidation and flush everything out with water in one fail swoop.. no scrubbing required. :P Or some screw on cap I've never run across before.

Loosing the "door" and just keeping a dummy plug on might not be a bad idea.

Good Morning Yarome, No I don't have that type either but have some thoughts on the topic FWIW nothing lol

Of course, you cant have Oxidation without Oxygen, but like you smearing dielectric grease in there makes for a mess and besides, its a DIelectric, but hey its used in splicing wires and protects against oxidation!!!!!!!!!!!

Spray on electronic contact cleaner might after long storage be an option PROVIDED ITS NOT HARMFUL TO THE PLASTIC AND OTHER MATERIAL

Stuffing something inside prior to door closing may??? have some merit HOWEVER if it holds moisture and doesn't allow for air circulation and it stays all wet inside there, I DONT LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT

Its like at antique tractor shows I attend and have given Magneto and Ignition Seminars I instruct the gents when I see plastic bags over their magnetos to keep the rain out all fine and dandy HOWEVER once it stops raining and the sun comes out TAKE THEM OFF so it doesn't sweat and you get condensation under there. Mag caps (on some brands) have vents in the bottom to allow for drainage and air circulation plus to allow Ozone to escape.

Absent thoroughly researching your question, my first impression would be prior to long term storage to give the contacts a good cleaning, have a good cap and/or screw cover, DO NOT stuff the compartment with anything, once the season begins clean the contacts (maybe contact cleaner if not harmful to other material) or maybe just clean them manually THEN GO FOR IT. If there's a suitable material/sealer/coating to cover the metal contacts I don't have a problem with that, provided its cleaned off prior to use NOW WHAT THAT MATERIAL MAY BE??????????????? Maybe others have a suggestion?????????????? A spray on ???????

Some make fun of me for doing it, but now and then I clean and shine my plug blades which is something you seldom see others do BUT THATS JUST ME LOL

Hopefully other experienced gents will have more and better ideas so was can all share and learn, my answers may be ALL WET lol.

Best Wishes

John T

Same as above, mine is a fifty AMP where the picture above is a thirty AMP, but all I do is close the door

and I have never had a problem or any type. I do leave mine hooked up most of the time because I have it at my house

and I set the ACs on 80 F due to the SE Texas heat and humidity.

Just thinking out loud here. How about drilling a couple small drain holes (1/16 or smaller) on the underside of the flip down cover? Put then as far from the open edge as possible - near the flat cover area. When you close it up for the month(s) put a strip of good quality tape across from side to side to ensure it stays closed. That should keep the majority of dirt and grime out and yet allow it to breathe.

Most likely there will be a little dust but that should be easily cleaned out with a Q-tip or some such thing. I agree that completely sealing it with an insert could cause more problems than you have now.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

HOWEVER if it holds moisture and doesn't allow for air circulation and it stays all wet inside there, I DONT LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT

Some make fun of me for doing it, but now and then I clean and shine my plug blades which is something you seldom see others do BUT THATS JUST ME LOL

Mornin, John. Thanks for spitballin. I think you're right.. the plastic seal or stuffing doesn't sound like a win to me. I wasn't thinking about trapped moisture.

I guess I'm not alone. ;) I do the same to mine. I figure as long as I'm at it, might as well polish them up for the best possible connection. I wouldn't care so much if I was on shore power, but when I 'do' break down and kick the genny over I like to suck every bit of juice I can out of it.

If it were just sitting "static" in storage or strictly on paved roads and CG's I don't think it would be an issue, but months of bumping up and down dirt/sand roads tends to kick up a cloud at times that I think is the main contributor. Mix in moisture and highway grime.. it's get's a little "cruddy" in there. If I cleaned it regularly between "plug in season" would probably help, but I'm just not that disciplined. :P

So far.. I like the idea of keeping a dummy plug on there. Pull out all the innards and maybe drilling a small breathing/drain hole. Couldn't hurt to give it a season and see how it shakes out.

I have a removable cord, but the cover on it is a 1/4 turn so it seals tight.

Would you happen to have a brand/mfg/photo I might use to try and track something like that down? ~ Cheers

Rather than buying a dummy plug, you might consider making a polystyrene (aka Styrofoam) plug, with a drain hole at the bottom. You could either make it in one piece from a thick piece of material or two pieces (a ring and a cap) glued together. Either way, a bolt through the middle, with some slop in length, would give you a handle to pull it out. You could even attach a lanyard to the bolt and one of the receptacle attachment screws so it is always near the receptacle and would have to be installed before you drove away.

Don

Archived