It's just a drag (on the 'lectric system)

adept99

I know several of you have heard me snivel about the electrical system on our trailer in the past and you're welcome to just tune out now. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it and fooling with it myself. Just to get everybody on the same page, this was one of the 1st trailers off the new Forest River line when they opened the new facility. Electrical gremlins have been riding along from the day we took delivery.

At this point, there are two issues, likely related, but not proven to be so.

First, On the power center (converter, inverter, charger, etc), there are three 40 amp fuses that figure into the ground system. Even though they should not, one or more of those fuses will "blow" at random intervals. I'm beginning to think that this is related to changing the power source while more than one source is connected. Connecting/Disconnecting shore power while the generator is running, for example.

Second issue is something draining the battery. This unit has a solar power panel that was intended primarily for battery maintenance as near as I can tell. Leaving the battery connected but unused will drain the battery in as little as 2-3 days but may take two weeks. If I turn the battery disconnect off, battery stays charged for a much longer period of time, but will still eventually discharge. Regardless of the disconnect switch, the solar system seems to provide charging power but not sure how it gets there. Obviously from the power center you would think, However, with all of the 12 vdc fuses pulled, it appeared that there was still power going to the battery from the solar system. When we put an amp meter on the battery leads, we got essentially a zero reading on the device power leg. We got up to 2 amps on the generator / solar leg. Generator was NOT running.

None of the cables are labeled, numbered, or otherwise identified. There are no schematics. Spindrift stopped by this morning and between the two of us, over the course of several hours, were able to determine that something isn't doing what it oughta.

We will be at the ECR. If any of you electrical types would like to stop by and point an laugh, I might be shamed into providing a chilled beverage of some type.

In the mean time, I have a few other things to try before we leave.

Thanks in advance

Paul & Paula

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

3-40amp fuses on the ground side that blow randomly? Seems like the ground is being energized thru something. So I would start hunting a neutral / ground issue or a hot to neutral.

Is the converter charger fuse panel center one of the all in one units or are they separate units.

Solar panels can discharge a battery if the correct "diode-switch- resistor- whatever the item is called" is not installed. There have been other brands that I have read about that have had bad battery disconnect switches. Or where installers bypassed the switch to keep power to stereo memory, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you can I would try to attend the FROG Rally in Goshen in August ( sign up around the end of this month) they have a few hundred techs there for repairs at no cost to you except the rally fee. Just a thought if you can not get any help at the ECR, see you there.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

We should be returning from the "Grand Loop" around the country about that time and we had figured to try to make it back for that event for some other issues that need attention. Have heard good things about that gathering.

As far as the other comments above, it's my belief that the solar system does bypass the battery disconnect. I have yet to prove that to myself due to the lack of wire identification. I'm going to break out the tone generator (like a phone tech would use) I use for the dog fence & see if I can locate a few things. That might tell me what's connected to what.

The reason I want to wait until the ECR is that even though I have most of the needed tools & meters, in many cases I have no idea how to interpret the reading, or I don't know which way the current is flowing, or I have more than one of the little red blinky things where I should only have 1 green one.

In any case, thanks for the responses and we'll see what happens at the ECR, if anything. Stopped by the local auto parts store yesterday & picked up a large supply of 40 amp fuses & we're ready!!!

Paul

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Paul, I can provide you with a lot of info for the FROG rally at the ECR, this will be my third year as a volunteer. This year I will be in charge of the track infield parking which is usually all Cedar Creeks plus I can keep a eye on Randy also and see what goodies he keeps finding at the rv surplus store :lol:

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Dblr:

Wife & I are trying to figure out if we can make it back from Left coast by then. Not where we (loosely) planned to be at that time of our summer trip. And then drive back to rockies. Appreciate the offer.

Paul & Paula

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

A great deal depends on how much of this you want to do yourself, I have a couple of versions of the Fuse Buddy http://www.amazon.com/ESI-303B-Fuse-Buddy-Adapter/dp/B000TQ15E0 one stand alone that reads amps directly the other that uses a multi-meter/VOM. This plugs in place of one of the fuses.

The other item is a signal tracer to find out where each wire goes, I have a simple version that I use in our home. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=signal+tracer+

I did much of the wiring on our trailer (long story) so I know where it all goes, but I do carry a Fuse Buddy and VOM when traveling.

Shadow Catcher;

I have a Greenlee tone generator and probe which should work to id the various wires and circuits. Never heard of a fuse buddy but looks like a great idea. After another two hour meter session yesterday, I am evermore convinced that the solar system and possibly the battery disconnect switch are causing a drain somehow.

Are you coming to the ECR?

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived