Autoshift/Ultrashift Gliders

CDR

For those of interest....

Just found out Freightliner offers Autoshift or Ultrashift transmission configurations for their glider kits! Now you "can" get a no emissions engine with a modern auto tranny. So to someone in the market for a new truck, here are a few advantages of a glider. If you get a rolling glider, everything but the engine and trans will be new. Engine and trans to be "as" new reman. Other than that you specify the truck as new, for that you get 28% to 40% discount and no "FET" over a new build. If you did your home work you could in theory, have a finished truck with bed and most other upgrades/options for what you would pay for a new truck! If you compare it to a "new" Volvo build, you could even throw in a Smart car. But you would have a Freightliner, not a Volvo. Also, I am not sure Fitzgeralds is the cheapest for a Freightliner glider?

My hands are getting sweaty thinking of the possibilities... New truck, no emissions, 12.7 series 60 great mileage with 515 hp and 3.36 gear factory singled, semi auto 10 speed, fully optioned interior, "my" choice of color, all with the great Freightliner reliability! Oh my goodness, oh my goodness!

Maybe another truck is in our future!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Isn't Fitzgeralds in Crossville? It sounds like a visit might be required! Pat

The Old Sailor

Last years (2015) ECR, there was a road trip to Fitzgeralds. We where given a tour of their facilities. Someone in are group asked the question about transmissions. At the time of the tour, Fitzgeralds had no plans to put in Autoshift or Ultrashift transmissions in any of their gliders. I wonder if something changed.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Isn't Fitzgeralds in Crossville? It sounds like a visit might be required! Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat,

As Al said I set up a tour there last year and it was fascinating. They have a well oiled operation and are putting out nearly 100 units a month. They were very accommodating but frank with us. As HDTERS, we are not an audience of interest to them unless we just want one of their line trucks and those are re-manufactured Detroits and a few Cats with manual tranies. BTW the sales office is in Crossville but the manufacturing is about hour and half down the road.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Fitzgeralds maybe the largest advertisedo glider dealer, but there are many dealers offering gliders. Where I am, I am just a hop and a skip from the Portland Freightliner headquarters, where they build them. There are 2 to 3 dealers in the area that offer them also.

Just giving options to those that want variety!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Curt,

Good to have that option. Fitzgeralds also very upfront saying their gliders were only marginally cheaper than a new factory truck, but people didn't want all the emissions stuff which justified the cost. I have to say the remaned engines looked brand new and apparently have a good warranty so it makes a very viable option especially if you could could get an automatic if you wanted it. Sounds like your dealers can make a better deal. In defense of Fitzgeralds we toured their manufacturing facility and were toured by a manufacturing exec. We did not talk to any sales people and they may discount like any dealer that manufacturing execs aren't aware of. Also there were no Volvos on the line, lol.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Give Larry Ericksmoen at 931-229-4121 a call at their Byrdstown facility. He was my contact. May accommodate a few people who want to drive over on late notice. I made the arrangements for the ECR group two months in advance.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Pat,

If you want to just look at their trucks, the sales facility is at Crossville so you could look at a number of them. The assembly plant though is in Byrdsville and like I said before is a well oiled machine and worth a tour. Just hard to fit "off site" tours formally into the rally schedule because of transportation logistics and other considerations.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Suite, I understand about the problems with the Rally schedule so when I call them Monday I'll find out what they can do. At least a visit to the showroom is better than nothing but I would like to see the big facility. Time will tell. Thanks again for your help. Pat

The Old Salior

Pat,

Thursday during the Ladies Shopping Day is pretty much a free day so might be a good time for any group that wants to take the trip over. Again need to plan for at least 4-5 hours so probably would want to leave in the morning with your group. If you arrange it, I can add to the schedule as an informal group trip for those that wish to go. I'll bet they will accomodate you. Just let me know by email at ecrcarl@gmail.com.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Suite, I talked to Larry this afternoon and he told me that we would be welcome and i just needed to call him and let him know when and how many. I told him thurs the 14th would probably be the date. How many went last year? Should I start a separate poet to see if there is any interest? Thanks for your help! Pat

The Old Salior

Suite, I talked to Larry this afternoon and he told me that we would be welcome and i just needed to call him and let him know when and how many. I told him thurs the 14th would probably be the date. How many went last year? Should I start a separate poet to see if there is any interest? Thanks for your help! Pat

The Old Salior

Great. I think we had about 15 last year. A separate post would probably be a good thing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

A fellow I know buys Gliders for his pipeline business. Uses Cats and very happy with this.

I have heard of specific legislation in Ontario Can being proposed that will req trucks to be reg with Chassis vin date in place of Eng. this will eliminate the non-emission new trucks and any currently in use. They won't be able to keep their plates. Unless they meet emissions studs for chassis date. They are specifically targeting Gliders.

How many States are doing this?

It sucks but expected once they figure out things.

I truly love the idea of Gliders.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

• 1 year later...

Archived