Rear Axle Actual Weight

chooseopen

Does anyone have any idea how much an axle with 4 wheels actually weighs? I need to bring home a spare rear axle (the forward rear axle) that has 4 tires mounted to it and have no idea how much the assembly will weigh.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

The forward rear I venture a guess is every bit of 2000# with the power divider. I looked through all the manuals and catalogs and could not find a weight probably because of the infinite amount of option combinations. I'd add 250# / tire wheel so about 3K # is my guess.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Yeah, not sure what fate mine might have. It came with the truck I just purchased. I have a feeling the seller didn't want it either, lol. My wife isn't going to be too thrilled to have an axle sitting in the yard...

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

If'n it was me & I had it to do again, I'd trade the entire tandem matched set for a factory single in the ratio you really want. "Factory" single is rated higher(23K) than half a tandem (20K), better brakes. The power divider is a saleable item for a yard. Decide what ratio you REALLY want first, go to www.roadranger.com & run the tire size etc to get the RPM & speed match you want.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Chooseopen, I took a set of tandems to Eubanks a salvage yard in Richmond Va last week. They bought them for export. They weren't mine but I towed the trailer with my Ranger. They had to weight at least 3k. Exact unknown. No tires or wheels. They want to drill a hole in the housing to make sure there isn't any grease in the housing. Didn't have to because of export. The set we put under the 1990 Pete had one of the rear end housings drilled. Didn't know that until after pouring a gallon of grease into it then noticing it coming out of the drilled hole as fast as I was pouring it in. I tapped it with a 1/4" pipe tap and it's running today hauling containers out of Norfolk. Where are you located? Look around before you junk it. Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived