2 humans & 3 pups preparing for the road

Hi All,

We have greatly enjoyed reading all the posts and appreciate all the wonderful advice from the members. We are 2 humans with 3 not-so-small dogs preparing to take it on the road.

We have been going to shows, researching and preparing financially for about 5 years. We were unsure if we wanted Class A or 5er. We have decided on the Road Warrior 420 for several reasons. Since we do have the dogs we see the garage as a type of mud room coming in from the weather. Also as an office and entertaining spot. We know due to size of lots we will not always be able to let the side deck down.

We currently live west of Atlanta and have hopes to travel across the country again to the great PNW, making that our likely landing spot! Our current community has a fairly high volume of crime and terrible summers.

A few questions we have for the group:

Have you felt safe in the camp grounds? If you have a toy hauler and use the patio, do you close your deck when you leave or at night?

As far as the dogs go, we have read many restrictions regarding dogs. Ours weigh from 45 lbs to 80 lbs. Have any of you experienced dog prejudice and if so how did you handle it?

We are hitting a show this weekend but if anyone has any leads for someone looking to sell their 420 or the combo of 420 and truck, we would appreciate those.

Thanks in advance. I know my first couple of questions to the group don't seem that big but I have read through a lot of good advice you guys have already given.

Jones & Pups

Welcome Jones & Pups--

Re campgrounds question: extraordinarily safe 99% of the time (i.e., safer than most wheel-less homes I've lived in)

Re dogs question: No prejudice, but then I only have one and she's just 30 pounds. Biggest challenge with her has been off-leash or lax-leashed dogs running up to her. She's a grumpy older lady and needs her space.

Have fun with your preps!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

...Have you felt safe in the camp grounds?...As far as the dogs go, we have read many restrictions regarding dogs. Ours weigh from 45 lbs to 80 lbs. Have any of you experienced dog prejudice and if so how did you handle it?...

Welcome to the Escapees forum!!!! In the past 12 years staying at over 200 campgrounds and RV parks across the country, we have never felt unsafe. We have travelled with as many as three dogs weighing between 45-100#, None of them have been any of the breeds commonly restricted. When asked about pets, I always answer with the breeds (English Setter, Golden Retriever) and have never been turned away. I do use RV Park Reviews to screen potential campgrounds to help avoid encountering any less than desirable issues upon arrival.

Again, Welcome to the forum!!!

Welcome and hope you enjoy the lifestyle as much as we did. We full-timed for 16 years including lots of boondocking in remote pleaces on BLM and national forest lands. We have never felt unsafe although we're not the type to always be looking over our shoulder. With your three dogs that will surely be an added safety factor. You won't have any problems so relax.

The only issue you might encounter with the dogs are the breed. Sometimes you might see that the RV park has a limit of two dogs. If so, there are plenty of others to stay.

We didn't have a toy hauler but friends of our did for their full-size motorcycle. Once the cycle was out they used the room as their den. It worked for them.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Have you felt safe in the camp grounds? If you have a toy hauler and use the patio, do you close your deck when you leave or at night?

In all our years of RVing, 12 of them fulltime, there's only been one RV park where we turned around and left because we didn't like the looks of it. We spend most of our time boondocking and have never felt unsafe doing that, either.

As far as the dogs go, we have read many restrictions regarding dogs. Ours weigh from 45 lbs to 80 lbs. Have any of you experienced dog prejudice and if so how did you handle it?

We've never experienced any problems, but we have only two small dogs, neither of which are a "banned" breed.

You'll find RV parks that have a limit on the number of pets (typically two), the size of the pet (typically 25# or less), and breed restrictions (no Pit Bulls, Rotweilers, etc.). Then, of course, there are those RV parks that don't allow pets at all. But you'll find many RV parks that don't have any restrictions. The most important things are to keep them on a leash when walking them, don't leave them outside unattended, and pick up after them!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Used to have a toyhauler with the rear patio. Never closed it at night or when we were out. Did hang a sheet to keep prying eyes at bay. Sometimes the dogs moved the sheet aside a little.

Will your garage have it's own air conditioner? The garage will likely NOT be insulated as well as the rest of the coach.

As already mentioned, pet number, size and breed could be the issues you run into. You can always call the campground. I was never turned away with 2 Boxers and a Maine Coon cat, even when the park claimed a 2-pet limit. Oh, and if your dogs make noise when you're gone and someone complains, you could be asked to leave.

One thing to add to your campground selection criteria...distance to a vet.

Let ma also welcome you to the Escapee forums and I encourage you to become a frequent contributor.

Have you felt safe in the camp grounds? We have traveled by RV since 1972 and lived full-time in one for nearly 12 years(2000/2011). In that time we have seen very little crime of any sort and what has taken place came into the park from outside and was small things, mostly petty theft. I consider RV living to be one of the most safe lifestyles that exist. The most dangerous thing that most of us do is traveling the highways.

Have any of you experienced dog prejudice and if so how did you handle it? If you mean people who dislike dogs, then absolutely we have experienced it more than once. Because there are irresponsible pet owners who fail to control pets or to pick up after them and sometimes allow a pet to roam free(especially cats), there are people in parks who do not appreciate them but most are at least tolerant of well behaved pets. In terms or RV parks, there are many parks that limit the number of pets or the size of dogs and it isn't rare to have some breeds prohibited in parks. Sometimes it is due to insurance that parks prohibit some of the larger or more aggressive breeds, others just because of problems or complaints of their customers. If you use a good directory it will usually tell you if there are pet restrictions but you would be wise to call ahead and check since you have 3 large dogs. There are those who just ignore the park's rules and they are contributors to the movement to restrict pets so please don't take part in that. There are enough parks that do not restrict pets that you should be able to find enough places to stay as you travel. Like many others here, we do travel with a medium size dog and we always pick up anything that she leaves behind and we have not had any significant difficulties.

It is a wonderful way to live and while our fulltime years are now behind us, we will continue to travel seasonally as long as we continue to be capable of driving an RV and healthy enough to leave the doctors behind. We have several neighbors who are well past 80 and still travel by RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not trying to hijack this thread but something I've wondered about, for those of you that do have large dogs, 2 or 3, and have a FW, where do the dogs ride. In the truck, that would be crowded? Or the FW?

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Not trying to hijack this thread but something I've wondered about, for those of you that do have large dogs, 2 or 3, and have a FW, where do the dogs ride. In the truck, that would be crowded? Or the FW?

I would never let our dogs ride in the fifth wheel! Ours ride in a travel cage in the back seat, but ours our small (the biggest one is about 25#). If we had two or three large dogs, I'd still find someway of restraining them in the back seat, but I would not let them ride in the fifth wheel!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Have had two 60lb Boxers and a Maine Coon (in a pretty big crate) ride on the back floor for my GMC 3500HD. Would NEVER let them ride in the 5er while underway.

My current 2, 50 & 60#, ride in the crewcab in Vari-kennels that fit with the back stadium seats folded up.

Keep in mind that forest campgrounds and COE parks do not usually have any breed restrictions or number/size restriction. Usual leash requirement is what we usually see. Have not traveled to some states, but this is how it's been in the states we have visited. We only have 1 small dog, so never a problem for us.

Pat DeJong

Have had two 60lb Boxers and a Maine Coon (in a pretty big crate) ride on the back floor for my GMC 3500HD. Would NEVER let them ride in the 5er while underway.

I'd NEVER leave mine in a FW either. I was just wondering. Our Shepherd rides with us, but we have a motorhome so it's a no brainer for us.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I agree with all you "post Highjackers :) ", our pups will ride secured inside the truck with us.

Also, thanks Donna for the link. We did pass on a deal offered at the show this weekend. Just didn't feel right so having an additional resource always helps. Good luck on your search too!

Thanks Trailertraveler for the RV Park Reviews. I have checked it out and it is very informative!

Thanks 2gypsies for the reminder to relax. I can be a little high strung and inherited worry from my mom.

Thanks for the welcome Kirk. We will check beforehand with a phone call. I am continually working to improve their manners so they will not be a nuisance to others on the road. The 2 larger pups are twins and are Plott hound descendants so they are brindle. In my area, I always get 'is that a pit". I will keep vet papers with me always. And they are always on a leash when not in a confined area.

Carolaow- I am generally not a fan of pet parents that off leash or lack-leash. I had my mild mannered150lb shepherd tight leashed to me once at the vet and another parent had their not so mild mastiff lack-leashed. I gave him a gentle reminder to control his dog when his dog got into my dogs face.

Remoandiris- thanks for the reminder on the AC in the garage. Since we will start with mini journeys near the house in the South, AC is a must. We are looking at units that have 3.

We look forward to being part of such an awesome community! We are really excited! :)

Archived