A little Smarter

adept99

This past weekend Paula & I rolled down to Macon from Louisville & picked up this little sweetie. Seems to be in great shape, 14K miles & everything except the intermittent wipers works as advertised.

That said, the trip was a bit rough on the rotator cuff I'm trying to nurse back to health. Was just real tender. Now it's downright sore as heck. It'll pass.

post-31733-0-62715000-1456351894_thumb.jpg

Click on the thumbnail

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Alie & Jim - Dealer at a private price

Spindrift - We took the LGT - You could have driven the Volvo for the extremely reasonable price of the extra fuel. (About 100% more)

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Howdy Paul,

I am sure your going to love your Smart, when I first got mine the plan was to just let it sit until going someplace then drive it into the toy hauler and use it when we got where we were going. Well that plan lasted about a day, I have the Barbus edition and am having so darn much fun with this thing it has become my daily driver.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, I just looked at your pictures when you were in Viet Nam. i just want to thank you for your service during that crazy time. I joined the navy in 1965 right out of High school and I retired in 1995. Never had to make that West Pac run. Did you stay Army? When I saw all of those KIA's it just makes this old man cry thinking of all of those great young men who had their lives cut so short. You know it seems that we can't learn anything from history. I need to get off of that subject. But again thank you and all of those guys for doing what our Country ask them to do.

My DW wants me to put a Smart on the back but the way it was originality built I have to move the hitch back 30". Doable but a real PIA. Maybe she will talk me into some time in the future. I'm here on in the Norfolk area so if you are out this way look me up. Take care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Dave, I just looked at your pictures when you were in Viet Nam. i just want to thank you for your service during that crazy time. I joined the navy in 1965 right out of High school and I retired in 1995. Never had to make that West Pac run. Did you stay Army? When I saw all of those KIA's it just makes this old man cry thinking of all of those great young men who had their lives cut so short. You know it seems that we can't learn anything from history. I need to get off of that subject. But again thank you and all of those guys for doing what our Country ask them to do.

My DW wants me to put a Smart on the back but the way it was originality built I have to move the hitch back 30". Doable but a real PIA. Maybe she will talk me into some time in the future. I'm here on in the Norfolk area so if you are out this way look me up. Take care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Howdy Pat,

Thank you, you don't know how much words like yours are appreciated by all of us who answered the call and whose country then turned its back on us when we came home. Not trying to sound crass just stating the facts. Thank you and ALL veterans for serving our country, past present and future.

If I had it to do over again I would have bought a truck long enough to haul the Smart on its deck, but when I bought the truck I had no idea I would ever own a Smart and with the lenght of my trailer I needed a short truck and I am still 3 feet over lenght. I too have thought about extending the frame on my truck but I just drive the Smart into the toy hauler and deal with in that way. I don't foresee ever being in the Norfolk area but thank you for the invitation, if your ever in the Great Nor-Wet in particular Washington State please give me a holler.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Paul,

Real men can drive a smart. Sissies need something more macho to support their egos. You and Paula will grow to like the little feller. Susan drives ours way more then she takes the red car.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I like the little buggy...I'm pleasantly surprised.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

We use ours daily, we are full time and we drive Lil' Red or Big Red, that is all we have. The best part is you can park it almost any where.....Happy Trails

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Dave, Thank you for the kind words. As you said it means a lot. We are 67' when hooked up. i haven't had any issues but i try not to rile Smokey. I haven't really looked that hard under the truck but I've probably got a cross member in the way. I'll look and think about it for a while. I doubt if we are ever out that far west but its nice to know that we could have someone to see! Pat

The Old Sailor

Dave, Thank you for the kind words. As you said it means a lot. We are 67' when hooked up. i haven't had any issues but i try not to rile Smokey. I haven't really looked that hard under the truck but I've probably got a cross member in the way. I'll look and think about it for a while. I doubt if we are ever out that far west but its nice to know that we could have someone to see! Pat

The Old Sailor

Howdy Pat,

In a few weeks I'll be 68 years young, if I were younger I'd either sell the truck I have now and buy one long enough to haul a Smart of get the frame on my truck extended but at this stage of the game it just doesn't make economic sense to do either option. I can buy a lot of diesel fuel and camp sites for what either option would cost.

If you have the time, the west is something you and your wife would enjoy visiting, I know the east coast has a lot of history but the west has SPACE, wide open vistas that truly have to be seen to be believed, mountains, rivers, wild critters and parks that will take your breath away.

I was born and raised in the hinterlands of northern Minnesota, after living out here for the last 31 years if I get east of the Rockies I have a hard time not turning back and heading west again but I have family and friends back east so I suffer and occasionally go back that way for a short spell.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, I was stationed in San Diego twice but only for Navy schools and mama took me and my brother out there when Daddy came back from the Korean War. We ended up staying out there for 14 months. I've always liked San Diego. Great weather. You and I are the same age but I'll be 69 in March. We are getting ready for the ECR in Crossville Tenn the 9th of April. It runs for a week and they have 44 rigs signed up. Should be a great learning experience. Did you retire Army? What I'd like to do is tow my Ranger behind the 5er, 4 wheels down, but that would put me at 80+ feet and I think Smokey might notice! I'm 67' now. Oh well. Take care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Dave, I was stationed in San Diego twice but only for Navy schools and mama took me and my brother out there when Daddy came back from the Korean War. We ended up staying out there for 14 months. I've always liked San Diego. Great weather. You and I are the same age but I'll be 69 in March. We are getting ready for the ECR in Crossville Tenn the 9th of April. It runs for a week and they have 44 rigs signed up. Should be a great learning experience. Did you retire Army? What I'd like to do is tow my Ranger behind the 5er, 4 wheels down, but that would put me at 80+ feet and I think Smokey might notice! I'm 67' now. Oh well. Take care, Pat

The Old Sailor

Howdy Pat,

I don't want to take this thread anymore astray, I am going to send you a PM, check you PM box later on tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Since we're so far off subject anyway;

Enlisted in the USN as a Kiddie Cruiser at 17 in 66, assigned to VA-153 "Blue Tail Flies" as an A&P rating. We flew A-4 Skyhawks for both bombing and close air support. Made two WESPAC cruises, 67-68 & 68-69, 9 months each, aboard CVA-43 USS Coral Sea. Was flight deck plane captain and troubleshooter. Otherwise stationed at NAS Lemore CA.

And thanks for your service brothers

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Archived