Hosting Minnesota?

Considering hosting in Minnesota I hear stories about taking a $75 amount to compensate Propane? Is this some kind of tax thing for them? We don't want to accept any payment for any reason, we are Volunteering. Has anyone had any experience with this issue?

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

I'm confused. First of all what entity are you considering?? Federal, state etc or private campground?

A government agency might offer you a stipend(payment) to compensate for propane use. This can and might generate a 1099 tax form and is taxable income. How thus small amount affects your taxes can't be determined. This is however becoming less likely with the federal govt as new regulations pretty much are eliminating it. Many federal agencies are now more likely to provide the actual propane as part of a full hookup site (just like the electricity and water)

Private campgrounds are another situation which I gave no knowledge of.

Of course you can always refuse the stipend.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Of course the best way to get the facts is to actually contact the specific place and ask. We always recommend that potential volunteers get a confirmation email outling the details of their commitment

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I don't plan to accept any payment of any kind. It is the Chippewa National Forest. I just wonder not excepting money was a deal breaker for them or not.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Can't imagine it would be.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

We've chosen not to accept a stipend on a FWS gig in the past. No issue at all...

But at the same time, we have accepted FWS refilling our propane tanks for propane used while volunteering. I don't see that as any different than their providing electricity or water.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We hosted this past summer at Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge north of Detroit Lakes, MN. No pay, nice sites, great staff and very active and friendly Friends group. The Volunteer Coordinator is Janice Bengtsen.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Just as a heads up. A new National USFWS Volunteer policy is being reviewed as we speak. Can't wait to see what it addresses.

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

The issue is whether or not they deduct the cost of the propane provided to you. I volunteer in a state park and receive a free site with full hookup every summer. Not a taxable event. I once went to volunteer at a corporate RV Resort. I was to be given a free site with full hookup. When I got there I was asked to sign a 1099 and I refused. I said I am not getting paid so I don't have to sign a 1099. It was explained to me that I would be paid $7 per hour and that $7 per hour would be deducted from my pay and I would receive a paycheck in the amount of $0.00. They said that the IRS made them do it. I found out they were deducting the value of the free site from their bottom line and that was why the IRS made the volunteer claim the value of the site. I refused to sign, terminated my volunteer position and left. Who wants to volunteer, get a pay check for $0 and owe income tax? I believe that at a Federal or State run campground this would not be a problem because they don't file taxes.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

How about donating the income to a good cause and using the 1099 for a tax deduction? Lemon to lemonade.

Update - I worked in ND last fall in the sugar beets and the income tax was pretty easy. One form both sides for a $4k income our tax was less than $10. Got the form online, took about a half hour to fill and mail.

Greg

I know several folks who volunteered for FWS for years and received cash stipends without generating a 1099. But after an IRS review of their process FWS started issuing 1099's consistently to volunteers who accept a cash stipend, much to the dismay of a few friends who weren't aware of the change!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We volunteered as campground hosts at a BLM campground several years ago and were given a small stipend to cover propane or whatever. We were not sent a 1099 of any kind.

unfortunetly times have changed and all federal agencies are being audited closely for some of these items. That's why we always ask the agency to purchase the propane

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Archived