• Mint
    • Debian
    • Lubuntu
    • openSUSE
    • elementaryOS
    • arch linux
    • Slackwire
    • Other

With the intro of Win10 I have decided to finally relook at Linux, and would like to know what distro's others are using.

- Why did you pick your choice?

- Did you use other distro's before the one you are currently using?

- How long have you been using Linux?

- What computer do you use? commercial or home built?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I use OpenSuse, Xubuntu, and Mint for different things. My primary system is still windows 10.

I have previously used Zorin. Although my background is in computers from home builts to main frames, I have been a PC standard user/builder/developer for 30 years. I prefer Windows 10 for the types of tools and facilities it offers me.

However, I also find some linux distros to be a very good alternative and in some cases, a better choice for rote use.

The annoying thing I find about switching OS bases is the difficulty of implementing and sometimes using tools from another base. Most windows based mainline applications will run under the mainline Linux distros but finding how to hold my mouth just right to find out how to set them up and use them can be exhausting.

Of the many Linux distros I have tried, I have found OpenSuse Leap to be the easiest to install and to use without having to know much about LInux guts, tools and assumptions. I have not found anything I have wanted to put on it that would not work but like all of the Linux distros, figuring out how to get a few of them installed and accessed for use, can get pretty convoluted.

A recommendation I always make is to setup a multiboot system and install into different partitions or drives, each of the various OS systems one wants to try out. It is definitely worth the effort because if one can't figure out how to do multiboot then he may already be challenged beyond capability and if anything goes wrong, straightening it out may take an FDISK/FORMAT redo.

I strongly recommend that the easiest way to "test the linux waters" is to get the bootable OpenSuse leap version and just play with it until you have a better sense of what it will be like to install new programs and to use older things you are used to having at hand.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

OpenSuse Linux for almost everything here and exclusively when setting up friends systems. The new 42.1 distribution is a huge change for Suse and the download version works pretty well but with a few glitches. Once installed the first thing to do is grab all the updates which fixes almost everything I ran across that was glitchy. There are a lot of updates so I'd find a spot to download them that wouldn't eat up your data cap.

https://software.opensuse.org/421/en

You can download either a DVD or USB stick (8 GB or larger) image to do your install from and they have instructions for creating either from Linux or Windows.

- Why did you pick your choice?
I am lazy and want something where as much as possible is done by pointing and clicking with a minimal amount of command line use. For most folks OpenSuse is configurable without using the command line at all. I also support family and friends using OpenSuse and it is really easy for me to sit at my computer and talk to them, while following saying along with them, telling them stuff like: Click on X put YYY on the third line and click Finish. Much easier that trying to communicate a complex and typo sensitive command line sequence.
OpenSuse offers a good selection of repositories other than the basic ones, you can get new releases of the desktop (KDE) software or specific programs like Mozilla's offerings or Libre Office so you always have the latest version. The base repositories don't update as much/often so you have less to download and less changes to deal with. I have the wife and I getting all the new toys, mom at 91 is happy to not have any "new and improved" stuff she would have to deal with.
- Did you use other distro's before the one you are currently using?
I've used a lot of different versions over the years, Scientific Linux from CERN is really nice on a server but it is not user friendly and makes for a poor desktop experience. Similar to Centos or the expensive RedHat releases. I use the Raspberrian distribution on my little PI systems as it is easy and most of the how-to instructions assume it is in use. I also run a copy of BSD for my firewall (pfSense) as it thought to be better for that task than Linux.
- How long have you been using Linux?
Since about 1994, we were looking at Linux using SlackWare (on many many floppies) at work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware
- What computer do you use? commercial or home built?

I use a variety of computers, my home-built stuff got old and new stuff for the most part is too expensive for my needs so the last 10 years I've mostly been buying systems coming off commercial leases and refurbished by quality companies. A refurbished system comes with a decent warranty and costs a fraction of the new cost while only being slightly slower than the latest new gear and the same as the previous generation.

I'm very fond of the Dell Precision workstation line for desktop use, a lot of bang for the buck and really nice graphics cards (NVIDIA Quadro lines) for non-gaming use. From Dell, Dell Finical Services for the most part but Amazon and NewEgg also have deals.

I can't say anything good about the Dell server lines, they are very risky as there always seems to be a problem that can't be resolved without a major part replacement that isn't covered by warranty. An example is my T-310 server that has hardware issues with the MSI (interrupt) system that can't be fixed and the work-arounds make it unsecure for running virtual machines on. The Dell was expensive, noisy and a bit of a power hog, replaced it with two small HP 7900 boxes and ended up needing less space, they are quieter and use less power than the 310 and cost less than 25% of the Dell.

For low load home servers I'm partial to HP 7900 or newer boxes. Small, low power and quiet and often a nice duqal core, win 7 box with a decent drive and 2 GB plus of RAM will be on sale for under $100. Dell makes similar systems and I've had several and been very unhappy with them due to the internal arrangement and heat/noise issues. The HPs are much more open and have much better expansion options. The Dells offer expansion slots but if you put anything heat sensitive in them it will have issues, same thing in the HP is happy. Again Amazon and NewEgg have good deals.

We have had a number of Dell laptops but all but one have gotten old and gone to the parts bin, that one is still going strong and will likely continue for years. The battery was junk from Dell and replacements were no better so the last few years we have not had a battery in it and use a UPS instead. I have been buying Lenovo laptops for my own use, got a great T410 ThinkPad for about $150 that meets my needs and has a lot of life left.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Unbuntu 13.10 few years old might update someday......able to dual boot to windows.....10....sorta.....well actually about a 10 year old version of Vista home so you might say that my widows are fairly broken.......once ever couple of months if I have time to kill I boot to Vista just to remind me why Linux is the right choice for a retired old geezer that just wants to get some email and web work without being a slave to the latest "UpGrAdE slave labor".....

Did I mention that this is all working on a OLD (+10 yr) CHEEP Compaq with almost no ram and a small drive so Linux is really the only hope this machine has to keep on ticking.........and it ticks pretty well because it boots as fast and keeps up with the latest wonder machines for what I need and do.....

A few folks on the forum get their undies in a twist at the mere mention of the "L" OS but what the heck at least it keeps their heart pumping and there blood pressure above Zero.......

Works well here...

Drive on.........(L is for .....laid-back)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I voted "Mint" because it is the distribution that I use the most. I also use Xubuntu, LXLE (based on Lubuntu), Mythbuntu, SolydK, Simplicity (on netbook), CentOS, and Raspian on my Raspberry Pi.

I started using Linux about 1994 or 1995. Over the years I have probably tried just about every distribution that was released. Lately I seem to be staying with Debian based distributions because I am comfortable with them, have a good grasp of under the hood configuration settings, command line syntax and especially the apt package manager. One of my pet peeves is that many new distributions have to re-invent the wheel and have a unique way of doing things. Distro-Hoppers are constantly having to re-learn how to accomplish simple tasks.

I have three computers that are Linux only and four that dual boot Linux with Windows 7. I also have one desktop that I call my test machine. It has Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and 10 different versions of Linux. All of the laptops are store bought (Acer, Dell, and HP). The desktops are a mix of home made and store bought (Lenovo, ECS, and Acer). Oh and lets not forget the Raspberry Pi.

I used to have more computers at the house, but had to downsize when we moved into the fifth wheel... :D:D:D

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

i want to thank each of you for your comments. I had been planning on updating my system, at a BIG cost, but on reading Stanley and Roger's comments I decided I need to revise that plan.

This post has helped me experienced the fact there are some really knowledgeable people in the SKP forum that are able and willing able to offer their wisdom and support.

I will update the forum on my eventual decision. Thank you all.

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

using Mint Rosa 17.3 KDE on two computers that got Malware from the AVG 2015 Tuneup program I believe. Read an article from Bob Rankin about how hackers got into the back door of the program which infected the OS! Used my newest computer to download the Mint distro and then used 7/Zip to download to a USB stick, then booted it on the other computers!

Now for the learning curve to do more than using Firefox and Opera!! LOL

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Picked up this link from G+ today for folks interested in Linux.

the-best-linux-distros-of-2016

http://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/878620-the-best-linux-distros-of-2016

So many to choose from it is usually best to pick a popular and well supported one to get started and then pick the perfect one once you have the basics down.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

With the advent of Win10, and my perception of how it is being forced on users, I want to again thank all who responded to this article to help clarify my putting Linux on my laptop, and keeping Win7 on the desktop.

I am pleased to see there is so much valuable info on this forum regarding how to use your computer. I've started looking at craigslist, e-bay, and corporate sites (hp, dell) for their refurbished lines for discarded machines from companies going out of business, or who are upgrading (thank you Stanley for the wealth of info).

As to the distro to use, I think the consensus is to try out several varieties and see which suits me. I'll probably start with openSUSE and MINT, but then there is PCLinuxOS for its auto updates. [sigh....] For some reason I had never thought to load 2 different versions on a drive and compare how they feel and look.

Thank you Stanley for showing us article on the-best-linux-distros-of-2016 http://www.linux.com...distros-of-2016

Archived