Cheap "Jeep" WiFi?

HSVBamaBob

Would like the advice from folks who have tested this or are currently using it.

Jeep is offering on all their 2015-on vehicles the ability to activate a WiFi HotSpot (UConnect) so "your passengers can shop, surf the Web, check emails and stay connected wirelessly on their personal devices."

So the question is, how good is this and more so do you have to be running the engine for the WiFi to work? Or will it work when the Acc is on?

Thinking if you could trickle charge your Jeep, this may be a interesting way to get WiFi on the road.

Or...is this just a bad idea? :)

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

If it is like the GM WiFi option, then it is just a cellular based access point similar to a myfi built into the vehicle. It is only as good as the cellular connection available, so it is dependent on which carrier Jeep uses and where you are located.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Again, not a Jeep owner. However, I do have a GM truck that has a cellphone on the Verizon system. No Wifi capability, but I have been in numerous locations where I could not get a connection with my verizon phone without moving a mile or more but could with the phone in the truck. I presume this is because of a better radio, or at least a better antenna on the truck or both.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

I think that I read that having a built in WIFI setup makes the vehicle susceptible to hackers who would take control of your vehicle!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

They can't take control of your jeep but they can hack your wifi and use your minutes. You will have to pay for cellular service with whoever. Don't know the speed or anything. I just have a Verizon unlimited plan and pay for teatherimg.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Would like the advice from folks who have tested this or are currently using it.

Jeep is offering on all their 2015-on vehicles the ability to activate a WiFi HotSpot (UConnect) so "your passengers can shop, surf the Web, check emails and stay connected wirelessly on their personal devices."

So the question is, how good is this and more so do you have to be running the engine for the WiFi to work? Or will it work when the Acc is on?

Thinking if you could trickle charge your Jeep, this may be a interesting way to get WiFi on the road.

Or...is this just a bad idea? :)

On the Cummins forum I am on. People stated that the Uconnect was very slow and not reliable. That may have changed as it was about a year ago when I was looking into it. I would join a Jeep forum and do a search on it. As these are the end users giving there feedback on it. I would also think locations would very also.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Uconnect has been hacked to take over control of the vehicle:

"Miller and Valasek’s full arsenal includes functions that at lower speeds fully kill the engine, abruptly engage the brakes, or disable them altogether. The most disturbing maneuver came when they cut the Jeep’s brakes, leaving me frantically pumping the pedal as the 2-ton SUV slid uncontrollably into a ditch."

"Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep..."

I don't know if any patches have been rolled out...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Uconnect has been hacked to take over control of the vehicle:

"Miller and Valasek’s full arsenal includes functions that at lower speeds fully kill the engine, abruptly engage the brakes, or disable them altogether. The most disturbing maneuver came when they cut the Jeep’s brakes, leaving me frantically pumping the pedal as the 2-ton SUV slid uncontrollably into a ditch."

"Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep..."

I don't know if any patches have been rolled out...

A recall was issued concerning the hack and Chrysler sent a USB stick to the owners that corrected the problem.

Don

So a update: Turns out uConnect has teamed with Sprint - so coverage out west will be problematic.

We still have a little over 2 years before we retire and go fulltime...hopefully by then a WiFi/Internet solution or National cellular infrastructure will have improved.

Internet connection (and the ability to FaceTime with her mom and our college-aged kids) are a critical issue for the both of us. We can certainly tolerate not being connected for a couple days but off the net for a extended period of time will make for a very unhappy wife (and truth be told me too ;) )

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

What is the issue with turning on the hotspot on your phone? Granted it will not have as good an antenna as a modem built into the vehicle. But we have traveled the entire US many times and are rarely out of cellular data range. I know because we stream music, and it is apparent when you lose service.

The alternative is a Jetpack that is portable. Put an antenna on the vehicle and simply plug the Jetpack in when you are in the vehicle. That "should" give you better reception and you can use it anywhere you can move the Jetpack. That way you can get service from any provider you desire....I'd recommend Verizon. They still have th best nationwide data service for those that move around a lot.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived