All Windows users should patch these critical security flaws

RV_

Not to be outdone by Apple's heavy updates today, Microsoft issued a full set of patches to fix critical vulnerabilities across the MS product line. The company issued 12 bulletins fixing dozens of vulnerabilities in Windows, Windows Server, Internet Explorer, and Office, and other products.

Excerpt:

"Another month, another batch of major Windows security flaws.

Microsoft said Tuesday as part of its its monthly security bulletin that all Windows users should patch their systems to prevent attackers from exploiting at least two critical flaws.

MS15-128 fixes a series of graphics memory corruption flaws, which can allow an attacker to install programs, view and delete data, and create new accounts with full user rights.

The flaw, which affects Windows Vista and later, also affects Skype for Business 2016, Microsoft Lync 2010 and Lync 2013, as well as Office 2007 and Office 2010.

Another major flaw, MS15-124, affects all supported versions of Internet Explorer, which can allow an attacker to to gain the same user rights as the current user. Those running as an administrator would be most affected by the flaw.

Some of the vulnerabilities in this bulletin also affect Microsoft Edge, the company's new browser that lands on Windows 10.

An attacker would have to "take advantage of compromised websites," said the advisory. "These websites could contain specially crafted content that could exploit the vulnerabilities." An attacker could also convince a user to open a web page from an email.

Both of these flaws were privately reported and are not thought to have been exploited in the wild.

Here's the rundown for the other critical flaws:"

The full article has the rest of the details here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/december-2015-patch-tuesday/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Microsoft Patches 71 Flaws, Two Under Attack; Warns of Leaked XBox Live Cert

The article is here: https://threatpost.com/microsoft-patches-71-flaws-two-under-attack-warns-of-leaked-xbox-live-cert/115601/

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The surprise was the patch changed my layout in Outlook, so I had to put the preview pane back. I do not remember that ever happening before.

Turns out it is botched patch - http://www.infoworld.com/article/3013219/microsoft-windows/microsoft-pulls-botched-patch-kb-3114409-that-triggered-problems-with-outlook-2010.html.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bill I got the same issue and did not notice that it was in safe mode at the top. I checked my other computers and they all were the same. I called Microsoft and just came here to tell y'all. Mine are fixed and it is easy. Look for my new topic.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Massive monthly updates, updates that break instead of fix! Is Microsoft capable of developing an OS? Wondering if I should scrub Win 10 from the new Dell Laptop I just ordered and install Linux. Is it possible to do a dual install with Win 10?

I'm be beginning to think I should devote an inexpensive PC to financial dealings with banks and major business's only and have others as "throw away" devices for net surfing. Clearly Microsoft has proved that it's OS's can't be trusted as secure.

Equally discouraging, it appears Apple has the same problem. What's a body to do?

Massive monthly updates, updates that break instead of fix! Is Microsoft capable of developing an OS? Wondering if I should scrub Win 10 from the new Dell Laptop I just ordered and install Linux. Is it possible to do a dual install with Win 10?

I'm be beginning to think I should devote an inexpensive PC to financial dealings with banks and major business's only and have others as "throw away" devices for net surfing. Clearly Microsoft has proved that it's OS's can't be trusted as secure.

Equally discouraging, it appears Apple has the same problem. What's a body to do?

Wes,

I used to depend on Windows in "Life-Critical-Applications".........for limited times........It was not a good life.........

Several things conspire to make the largest OS's so........"Frustrating"at the least.......and sometimes........ "Dangerous"

We the "Client" are "thought" to "want" to have "Every-"THING"" ........."Connected" to........."EVERYTHING-Else" ..........so be careful what you wish for (Or be careful of what the powers that be might "wish-for-us"......)

I am writing this on a 12 year OLD very CHEEP Compaq with only 129 megs of freespace when I booted in (9 sec) running a two year old version of L i n u x......... and yes it is dual boot capable ....sorta.......it's been a couple months since I "needed" one of my Very Old windows applications (and I hope to stay out of Windows for a few more months) IF and when I do boot to windows it takes 14 M I N U T E S...

Obviously my "Windows" needs some ............whatever.........

Is Linux perfect.......maybe not.....or maybe compared to Windows maybe it is.........

Books have been written on why the concept Linux should NOT work and a few book purport to try to explain why Linux seems to.....work.

The "father-of-Lunix" lives a few miles from our home however I have not felt the need to knock on his door and ask for any face-to-face-tech-time with him.

A major-tech-geek assures that the reason Linux seems to "work" is that "no-fools" are allowed "under-the-hood" of the major sections at Lunix AND some of the folks that can just let themselves into your Windows or Apples very much limit the back doors at Linux.........maybe Hackers need a safe O S at times themselves.......

No Linux is NOT Windows or Apple.......No it's just Linux.......but for the most part Linux limits who gets into your software....and your.....under-ware.....

Linux works pretty well for me and more and more do I NOT desire to gaze into......Windows.....

Drive on........(Who broke your Windows .....today)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Compared to Windows Linux is incomplete for me. A desktop in search of a mass user base that has never scratched more than a 1.62% desktop market share as of November 2015. We are discussing Windows desktops/laptops here in this thread, and not Linux. But hijacking any Windows thread has become the norm now by you.

So I will digress with you. I vote no Linux here in my domain. I can afford what I want. But letting the world vote, despite giving away the Linux system , we find that even free they cannot, as of November 2015, garner more than 1.62% world market share of desktop OS use??

Put simply, all of the 1.62% of Linux users, are not only using Linux, I'd venture 50% and more have a Windows box too or dual boot. It is not everything needed for you either or you would get rid of Windows entirely.

Many of the rest of the world have tried Linux and used it just fine and had about the same response I had - meh. Count me firmly in the 98.38% of the world that disagrees with you. Of course the Linux folks are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

There's your reality check, cash it.

You do know that some very good programmers and long term IT guys, even some who made a serious stab at Linux prefer Windows, Unix or BSD. Here's a post: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1275602-are-we-linux-users-arrogant-about-security/?do=findComment&comment=597092006

Linux free = 1.62%

Windows not free = 91.35%

post-1765-0-70208100-1449818996_thumb.jpg

post-1765-0-94724300-1449819087_thumb.jpg

In every post where a Linux adherent jumps in, all the Windows users in the world get another exposure to the concept of Linux. It is hard to take anyone seriously who believes and reads articles that say Linux is wildly successful etc.

If 1.62% of desktop market share is wildly successful, what is a failure? 0%?

Just remember the readers and writers of the following search results all use an OS rejected by 98.38% of desktop users today which includes laptops, instead patting each other on the back at their spectacular success. http://www.bing.com/search?q=Linux%20success&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=linux%20success&sc=2-13&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=6E92A9F4D97A4DD4B6F4ADC7021EC0DB

Oh and Wes asked if you could dual boot Linux with 10. Why aren't you giving him instructions on just how easy that is and help him get started. I might give it a try. So lay out how to dual boot it as you said : "......... and yes it is dual boot capable ....sorta......."

So tell us how to dual boot any Linux distro on a Windows 10 machine since you must know. And like the guy that slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night you live a few miles from the father of "Lunix." Your word not mine.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

BTW Wes,

Linux needs to be updated and upgraded too. Here is one who is having some difficulty being advised to update AND upgrade. A taste of troubleshooting a simple program failure with VLC on a Linux box for a non computer tech Linux noob: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/problem-with-running-vlc-in-linux-mint-console-disappears-program-stalls-4175559747/

I don't like going around the block to go next door, but some do and that's fine with me. When they have a Linux thread I don't do Windows ads at them or hijack their threads except when they are saying something very uninformed about Windows.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Compared to Windows Linux is incomplete for me. A desktop in search of a mass user base that has never scratched more than a 1.62% desktop market share as of November 2015. We are discussing Windows desktops/laptops here in this thread, and not Linux. But hijacking any Windows thread has become the norm now by you.

So I will digress with you. I vote no Linux here in my domain. I can afford what I want. But letting the world vote, despite giving away the Linux system , we find that even free they cannot, as of November 2015, garner more than 1.62% world market share of desktop OS use??

Put simply, all of the 1.62% of Linux users, are not only using Linux, I'd venture 50% and more have a Windows box too or dual boot. It is not everything needed for you either or you would get rid of Windows entirely.

Many of the rest of the world have tried Linux and used it just fine and had about the same response I had - meh. Count me firmly in the 98.38% of the world that disagrees with you. Of course the Linux folks are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

There's your reality check, cash it.

You do know that some very good programmers and long term IT guys, even some who made a serious stab at Linux prefer Windows, Unix or BSD. Here's a post: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1275602-are-we-linux-users-arrogant-about-security/?do=findComment&comment=597092006

Linux free = 1.62%

Windows not free = 91.35%

attachicon.gifNov2015 OS Market shares.JPG

attachicon.gifmarket percent.JPG

In every post where a Linux adherent jumps in, all the Windows users in the world get another exposure to the concept of Linux. It is hard to take anyone seriously who believes and reads articles that say Linux is wildly successful etc.

If 1.62% of desktop market share is wildly successful, what is a failure? 0%?

Just remember the readers and writers of the following search results all use an OS rejected by 98.38% of desktop users today which includes laptops, instead patting each other on the back at their spectacular success. http://www.bing.com/search?q=Linux%20success&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=linux%20success&sc=2-13&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=6E92A9F4D97A4DD4B6F4ADC7021EC0DB

Oh and Wes asked if you could dual boot Linux with 10. Why aren't you giving him instructions on just how easy that is and help him get started. I might give it a try. So lay out how to dual boot it as you said : "......... and yes it is dual boot capable ....sorta......."

So tell us how to dual boot any Linux distro on a Windows 10 machine since you must know. And like the guy that slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night you live a few miles from the father of "Lunix." Your word not mine.

Whew RV..........

What could I say to respond to that?

As far as Hi-jack or (Lo-jack) ......not guilty......look hard and you will see that I am a Windows ...."owner" as well...

I do understand how steady dose (or overdose) of Windows may tend to make folks......Edgy at times.....

As far as being in the 1% .....well, that indeed is food for thought........seems that most of the middle-class(s) aspire to become a member of the ...........1%.....

As for me I am retired and my computers seem in fine order so.......I think I'll have a cool Dr. Pepper.....

Drive on.........(Keep your Windows.......clean)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

The most secure way to conduct sensitive business on the internet is to use the dod.mil lightweight software protection initiative.

Your computers hard-drive is not connected to the internet while using this software developed by the Air Force.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

RayIN, Thanks for the link. I'll try to digest the info and try it out. Currently, I do a partial process manually by keeping all financial, personal, and medical documents on a thumb drive which I only insert to copy files. Not encrypted though so it looks like the AF software is a better solution. Interesting that it boots Linux!

Archived