Furnace failure

spindrift

Needed our furnace for the first time this season. Unfortunately, I was let down. When I turned on the heater at the main, wall control, all I heard was the "click" of the thermostat. I'm assuming the thermostat recognized that my temperature setting was higher than the room temperature and the "click" I heard was the thermostat sending a start signal to the furnace. I verified that I had propane. Even so, I would think the fan would have come on initially. I thought maybe the furnace went into a lock-out mode so I performed a system reset...to no avail. Next step was to tear down the basement walls to get the M/N and S/N of the furnace. The furnace is crammed into the basement so tightly that I'm unable to read what I think is the data tag on top of the furnace. Even with the use of a little inspection mirror, I couldn't read the info. I'm not sure pulling off the outside panel will get me anywhere. All I do know is that the manufacturer is Suburban.

Would I be making a mistake to assume that the ignition control circuit board is shot and needs to be replaced? Is the circuit board accessible by removing the outside panel(s)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

How long did you wait after turning it on? For the first use after a lengthy period of time it can take quite a while for the LP to fill the lines and burner and may require several ignition attempts. It may also not even attempt to cycle for several minutes after the initial signal from the thermostat.

Turn the heat on then give it a good 3-5 minutes before you touch it again. It 'may' start the fan then shut down again without even attempting an ignition. Different brands will act differently, but with all, you need to give it some time to do it's thing before you start tinkering around or getting too worried.

Needed our furnace for the first time this season. Unfortunately, I was let down. When I turned on the heater at the main, wall control, all I heard was the "click" of the thermostat. I'm assuming the thermostat recognized that my temperature setting was higher than the room temperature and the "click" I heard was the thermostat sending a start signal to the furnace. I verified that I had propane. Even so, I would think the fan would have come on initially. I thought maybe the furnace went into a lock-out mode so I performed a system reset...to no avail. Next step was to tear down the basement walls to get the M/N and S/N of the furnace. The furnace is crammed into the basement so tightly that I'm unable to read what I think is the data tag on top of the furnace. Even with the use of a little inspection mirror, I couldn't read the info. I'm not sure pulling off the outside panel will get me anywhere. All I do know is that the manufacturer is Suburban.

Would I be making a mistake to assume that the ignition control circuit board is shot and needs to be replaced? Is the circuit board accessible by removing the outside panel(s)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yes, I think you would be making a mistake to assume the CB is bad at this point. You are correct in thinking the furnace should run even if it didnt lite.Check the fuse and voltage at the thermostat first.

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

If there is a panel on the outside you can do all the repairs from the outside. Also all the mn sn info is on the out side.

If the fan is not turning on then you need to see if the fan motor is stuck. Bees nest or bad motor. Or if the fuse is blown to the furnace. It will be in the 12vdc panel to the RV.

That should get you started in the right direction.

Safe Travels, Ver

• 2 weeks later...

After finally determining exactly which model I had (my dealer supplied owner's manual and parts manual turned out to be incorrect), I ordered the module board, got everything installed over the weekend and I'm back in business. Also had to order a new sail switch because the original blew up when I tried to remove the wiring for the furnace removal. Have to send a shout out to the woman at Suburban Furnace who was extremely helpful in getting the correct manuals to me. Also got great pricing and customer service from Makarios RV. Toughest part of the job was getting the five ducts reinstalled; absolutely no room to maneuver. The timing of all of this couldn't be better as we leave for the Northeast to spend Christmas with the family.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

For the next time you pull the furnace that has a exterior access and is a Suburban.

Remove the wiring, the gas line after the gas is turned off and blead off.

Then there is one screw in the front center of the blower assembly on the bottom.

Then pull the furnace out but leave the outer case and ductwork in place.

Safe Travels, Vern

Amen Vern.

Spindrift, you got it despite doing it the hard way! Congrats, I know you are tickled to keep the labor charges.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived