shop air to air up truck?

Fuzz

Had occasion to have the truck towed to repair facility.When the wrecker showed up I helped/watched him hook it up.

Asked If he had the bolts to cage the brake cans..Instead he run an airhose from his wrecker to the hose outlet I use for air hose.I thought that was neat...Today looking for leaks I thought I would use that to air it up.Didn't work...What the devil am I missing...I can use air from this connection so it seems it would work in reverse.It did for him with wwrecker.Maybe he did something else I didn't catch...Thought I would ask..Thanks

2001 Volvo 770-2003 travel supreme36

When you use your hose outlet, do you have to push your trailer air valve in on the dash? If so, did you do this when you tried to put air in?

He probably pushed the valve in when he was in the truck at some point like releasing the parking brake valve.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

To piggy back on the trailer valve.... Some trucks require a minimum air pressure (usually 60-65 psi) before that valve will "open". You might also add a schrader valve to your air governor to add air to your system. Just remember on some trucks this way of adding air bypasses your air dryer so you need to be careful your "shop" air is clean and moisture free.

Thanks all,There is a Schrader valve on the compressor governor.Wasn't sure what it was for..Tried the trailer valve in cockpit but it won't stay in.Maybe I have other problems.Shop air is small compressor compared to some,but it shows 110lbs on gauge....Will try Schrader valve tomorrow.Starting to cool off and still some snow around truck..Again thanks for the replies....

If the air outlet you mentioned in your first post is indeed the trailer supply line (red button on dash), then you need to hold it in a bit for the the truck to accept air. Once the pressure is high enough in the truck tank, the valve will remain open.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks again all...I held the button In and started getting some pressure in the R up to about 90...I think now my problem is my garage air compressor..Pressure will build up to 110 but no volume..looks like maybe a 15-20 lb tank.It can't keep up after about 80-90#'s.Have another compressor I will try...but the big thing Is the suggestions worked..Had to hold the Trailer knob in quite a bit longer than I was..

Check you tank gauges. In my case when back feeding the trailer supply line (red) only the rear tank is pressurized, not the front tank.

In my case when I was towed everything that needed air for towing was fed off the rear tank. So he did not have to cage the rear brakes. The tow driver carried a double male shop air fitting and I already had the female quick release on the supply hose connection on the rear of the cab. So getting air back to the system was quick and easy (well for at least the items off the rear tank). I also still had about 80# of pressure in both front/rear tanks before hooking up to his air.

I have also considered adding a ball valve with a quick release fitting on the end so that I can add air the truck system via the shop air. It would be nice in the winter months to be able to move the truck immediately outside instead of waiting for the air to build enough to move the truck outside. In the summer months the shop doors are all open so it is easy to air the shop out. As already mentioned it will also make it easier to chase down some minor air leaks.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Well thanks again lottsa good info..It will leak down to O in about 2hrs..So will keep looking.Also,both gauges go down together,does this indicate a valve inop?Thought there was a valve on one of the tanks that kept pressure or no?

Archived