YOUR THOUGHTS ON GOOGLE PROJECT FI MOBILE SERVICE

Don't think I've seen this discussed here before and appreciate from much reading that Verizon generally has the best overall coverage, whereas this is utilising T-Mobile and Sprint networks, as well only available currently on specific smartphone models.

Just thought with it coming direct out of a high profile company like Google that it might start making some serious inroads quicker than most might.

Value input on what your thoughts are on this for some of the RVing community, being able to purchase as much as one uses and getting a rebate of any unused portion of data at $10/GB. $20 per month for unlimited text and calls, with 120 countries covered at discounted rates etc.

Just thought it might be another option as it improves for those travelling into various countries back and forth for ease having just one provider again and less gadgetry with it allowing tethering at no extra charge.

Be interested to hear from those of you more techy in the know what your thoughts are - believe it's been around since April/July this year.

FTW

PS: Whilst on the map it states parts of Mexico are 2G, have heard someone down in Mexico has been getting great service on it.

It's an interesting concept for sure, and I know Jim of Geeks on Tour has had one since it came out - and has enjoyed the service.

Here's our take on it from an RVing community perspective: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/googles-cellular-service-unveiled-project-fi/

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Great info (as usual) Chris!

Thanks.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It's a unique offering obviously, but as Chris said in his article, Project Fi is not for the 20+GB/mo user. The price of my current Verizon 20GB data plan would buy just 10GB on Fi. And then there's the coverage comparison of course...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Thanks as always Cherie and Chris for your write up and assessments which are always valued. If anyone knows or have a link to any commentary from Jim of Geeks on Tour observations having used it since inception, it's always appreciated. Likewise anyone else who's been using it :)

Just thought it might be another possible option for maybe low usage data users or those that travel to other countries more often. Must admit, I do like the concept of any unused data being refunded, especially when starting out on the road not knowing what one might need.

My son has just gotten his Fi Nexus 6P. So far, he is extremely pleased with it and the service.. It hands off seamlessly between Sprint, T-Mobile and available Wifi. They have only been shipping these compatible phones for a very short while so there are not likely to be many folks with any significant reviews because the roll-out has been in very specific areas of the country.

Here are some places to start with for more information.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived