So what years were the dark years for Fleetwood?

Deezl Smoke

I cant seem to figure out this search feature for some reason. It's just a bit different than what I am used to or something. Anyway, saw a '97 Flair, 24' class A, 24k miles and in fine shape for it's age. Pretty good shape even. So I searched flair and fleetwood flair etc, but only get about 10 threads and they only have a couple replies about a flair.

But one reply did say they thought the 90s were good products by Fleetwood. I had read hear before about Fleetwood having some management change outs or something and went to heck for a period of time, then are trying to make a come back. What years were those "dark" years? And I know the flair is likely an entry level weekender, but it has a GM 454 and an Onan 4k with 60 hours. If it's well kept and a non smoker, can they go a while yet? It's a local rig, so no salt,

I'm a work'n on it.

We had a 1989 Pace Arrow by Fleetwood and a screen door had fewer hold in it than did the PA. The roof leaked, the windows leaked and the walls delaminated. It was back to Fleetwood for a wall replacement, but 2 years later, it delaminated again. Friends had a 1998 Southwind and it had to go back to Fleetwood for replacement of BOTH sidewalls. They had leak problems as well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On a coach of that age, how well it has been cared for is equally or more significant than original construction. Even a high end coach could have been destroyed by poor maintenance. If it is in good condition now, that is a good sign,

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

But one reply did say they thought the 90s were good products by Fleetwood.

During the 90's the Fleetwood company was the largest manufacturer of RVs in the US and probably the world. As a financial investment they were doing quite well. It is not possible to state that all Fleetwood products at the time were either good or poor in quality since they were building RVs of every type, classification and price range at that time. They were then very much what Thor Ind. has become in recent years, swallowing up various brands when available and really booming. The company was very healthy and the products that they build and sold ran the complete range of price/quality as they were in every RV market.

. I had read hear before about Fleetwood having some management change outs or something and went to heck for a period of time, then are trying to make a come back.

I suppose that could be one way of stating it. The company expanded too much at a time when the RV market was getting soft and found themselves in financial difficulties. They shed a few products and made other changes and in March of 2009 they filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. In August of 2013 the court ruled that the assets of the corporation called Fleetwood Ent. were to be sold and the company dissolved. The rights to the motorhome brands and assets as well as the name Fleetwood was purchased by Allied Specialty Vehicles and became the Fleetwood of today, a totally different company with no legal ties to the company of old.

saw a '97 Flair, 24' class A, 24k miles

While the Flair was an entry market motorhome, any RV that is in good condition after nearly 20 years is probably worth a look. The low mileage is a combination of both good and bad, since it must have been sitting somewhere most of it's life as that would be less than 1300 miles per year. My first question would be what the recent history has been. If the present owner has been driving it for at least 6 months and can show you maintenance records to prove at least 5k in the past year, that is very different than one where it has not moved appreciably for the past 5+ years. In all probability you will need to replace all rubber parts of any kind, hoses, belts, brake lines, vacuum lines, and such in order to have a reliable vehicle so keep that cost in mind. The 90's were also years when motorhome builders were very bad about building units that came from the assembly line at very close to the max weight for the chassis GVWR so make sure that you get accurate weights.

That RV has the potential to be either the find of the decade, or a pile of junk. There is much too little information here to make even a guess at which it may be.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk. That is the info I was looking for.

I have not looked any further than the lot consignment list so far. But it states service by the local chevrolet dealer. So if that part is true, I can get records if the owner does not present them should I look further into this rig. It does have near new tires with a receipt. List says it comes with custom fit rv cover and tire covers. It just caught my eye as at 24' it is not one that I see many of around here.

I'm a work'n on it.

Archived