Fan Hub

SuiteSuccess

Question two for the day. Winterizing my truck today so went to Speedco for PM. Technician questioned me about a sound he heard which he thought could be a loose fan hub. Can't say my old ears heard what he heard but could not see "wiggle" with motor running or any significant movement with engine shut down when moved by hand. What would I be looking for if there were a problem?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Try to watch the hub when it is disengaged. The fan may be spinning, but at a slower rate.

When the hub is engaged, the spring pressure of the hub clutch may camouflage any wobble in the hub.

A bearing failure in the hub can cause the disconnected fan taking out the radiator, heat exchanger and hood.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Try to watch the hub when it is disengaged. The fan may be spinning, but at a slower rate.

When the hub is engaged, the spring pressure of the hub clutch may camouflage any wobble in the hub.

A bearing failure in the hub can cause the disconnected fan taking out the radiator, heat exchanger and hood.

Spoke to my Volvo dealer. Shop has been pretty fair with me in the past. He said I could plug and unplug solenoid on frame rail after air built up and that would engage and disengage clutch. The truck is not overheating and I could hear fan engage/disengage on return trip from Hutch. Service guy said if not overheating and would engage/disengage unlikely to be bad fan clutch or hub. Any question and I'll just take it in but replacement estimate $1200-1500. Don't want to spend money I don't have to.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

The clutch may be working by the bearing might be going.

Gotcha, thanks.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Guest THE TRAILERKING

The clutch may be working by the bearing might be going.

Yes for sure. When the engine is stopped and the fan hub free-wheeling get in there and grab it. There shouldn't be any play when trying to wobble the fan blade. Then spin the fan by hand and it should be smooth with no bearing noise. Very simple to check over. If it is bad, not only will you have to repair/replace the fan hub but may have to replace a lot more if it comes unglued and goes through the rad.

Yes for sure. When the engine is stopped and the fan hub free-wheeling get in there and grab it. There shouldn't be any play when trying to wobble the fan blade. Then spin the fan by hand and it should be smooth with no bearing noise. Very simple to check over. If it is bad, not only will you have to repair/replace the fan hub but may have to replace a lot more if it comes unglued and goes through the rad.

Thanks for the help

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Mark and TK,

Did the checks you suggested. No play at all in the fan, no bearing sounds, fan turns easily, no hub wobble engaged or disengaged. Don't know what the tech was hearing but think all is well. Thanks for the help.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Guest THE TRAILERKING

If still hearing something it could be an alternator bearing, water pump bearing, or even A/C bearing. Lots going on in front of the engine.

If still hearing something it could be an alternator bearing, water pump bearing, or even A/C bearing. Lots going on in front of the engine.

Will keep listening for any unusual sounds. As I said, couldn't hear anything different than I ve always heard and nothing sounded unusual. 2,000 mile trip to and from Hutch went without problems.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I think the tech heard a "Ca-CHING!" noise. They tried to sell Mark Bruss a fan clutch for a bunch of $, all it was is a thermostat. His was stuck "ON". Fan clutches generate more revenue than thermostats.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

I think the tech heard a "Ca-CHING!" noise. They tried to sell Mark Bruss a fan clutch for a bunch of $, all it was is a thermostat. His was stuck "ON". Fan clutches generate more revenue than thermostats.

Haha, understand. However, this was a Speedco tech not a dealers shop. Nothing but oil changes and lubes there.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Using the word "technician" and Speedco in the same sentence is a real stretch. I barely trust them to drain the oil, remove and spin on new filters.

I don't allow them to touch anything else. But your method of checking with the hub free wheeling, no play or bearing noise is fine. I just replaced my Horton on this Freightliner with 1.6 million on the hub. Reman cost $750, with a $700 core charge. They really wanted that one back.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Archived