Need advice for full time rving

ltm00re

My husband, 3yr. old rotti, and I are getting ready to sell our house in the next 2 weeks and need advice on how to go about going full time. First, we are not sure which 5er we will be going with. We just found out that there are companies that will void the manufacturer warranties if you live in it full time. We are looking at the Montanas but found out their customer service is horrible. We are also looking at the Big Horn and Cedar Creek and haven't found much about their warranties yet. We found a floor plan we like, that all three have that is similar. Our truck is adequate for any of the three. The models are, Motana 3721RL, Cedar Creek 38CK and the Bighorn 3585RL. Our biggest question is, which one would be a better choice for full timing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Opinions on this topic are going to vary widely, if for no other reason that folks are very supportive of specific brands.

I personally like Heartland products and have owned two, a 2011 Greystone 32RL and a new Landmark 365 Key West. Have had almost zero problems with either fifth wheel and, when I had an issue, I called HL Customer Service and it was immediately addressed.

Wife and I are still two years away from full timing but bought the Key West anyway. We spend more time in the Key West than we spend time in our SnB house, probably because we have a nice bay front spot in South Texas. :)

BTW, any of the big three from Heartland, the Landmark, Big Country, and Big Horn series, are rated for full time occupancy, if I recall correctly.

Hope this helps.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums! We are very happy to have you join in here and we will do all that we are able to assist and support you.

We have never owned any of the RVs that you suggest, but we have known many owners of Montana trailers who were very satisfied with them. We have known a few owners of the other two, but the Montana is by far the more common. None of those are in the higher quality group such as the Heartland mentioned, but they also cost much less and they weigh less. As far as poor service support, that is more an issue of dealerships than of factory support in most cases. A few companies stand out for exceptional service, but most stand behind what little they actually guarantee, with is in most cases only 1 year.

I am wondering if you are already up to speed on what one must do in order to live on the road, how we manage to have an address for our driver's licenses, insurance, vehicle registrations, and to get mail? It may be that you have already done all of the needed research on those subjects, but just in case you have not, this is a good place to get advice on those things as well.

Join in on any of the forums or subjects and feel free to post as many questions as you feel the need. We are here to help and there are few issues that someone here has not previously dealt with.

We look forward to getting to know you better! :D

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, on 14 Oct 2015 - 6:41 PM, said:

None of those are in the higher quality group such as the Heartland mentioned, but they also cost much less and they weigh less. As far as poor service support, that is more an issue of dealerships than of factory support in most cases. A few companies stand out for exceptional service, but most stand behind what little they actually guarantee, with is in most cases only 1 year.

Join in on any of the forums or subjects and feel free to post as many questions as you feel the need. We are here to help and there are few issues that someone here has not previously dealt with.

We look forward to getting to know you better! :D

Full timing is a big step if you haven't traveled much pulling a vehicle having a combined length of 50 + feet. You get into a lot of unfamiliar territory, where can pull off?. Where i fuel up, stop for rest rooms, lunch and so. Look over your selection of RV's can I get to the toilet with the slides in. (Very important if you should experience a flat tire) Can get to the Refrigerator for a sandwich. Spend time in the RV before purchasing playing some what if games. Sit in your favorite chair is the TV in the right Position, What is your traffic pattern to switches, cooking and such. I think your floor plans cover those arrangements so let a salesmen tell you difference.

I have 37 foot Montana and love the layout but the closet has only 5 feet of rod making 4 season living a little now difficult. Also as Kirk mentioned, some cost less, if you full time, you will have more safety margin on weigh. Update to a G rated tire ( may require heavier wheels) as there is a good possibility one corner of the RV can be loaded heavier than others.

Happy travels

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Personally I like Hitchhiker. Been full-timing in ours since October 9, 2004. Although not made anymore you can go to http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/ and pick out a nice used one. Know of several people who have gone to this place and been very happy.

X2 on the HitchHiker. I do not really consider the three you have looked at as true full time RVs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

As Jeff says people are all over the place when it comes to which is the best rig for fulltiming. You appear to be focused on new. I think that, for many people, finding a gently used rig 3-5 years old can get you a like new rig that has already made the return visits to the dealer for minor and even sometimes, major, repairs.

I'd certainly pay attention to Kirk's comments on domicile issues.

I also recommend John and Kathy Huggins' book, "So you Want to be a Full Time RVer" - it is filled with good advice. Of course, this forum and Escapees in general is a terrific source of information.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Insulation and dual pane windows is a factor. I had a Heartland Bighorn and it was cold in the winter. Our coach is better insulated and has dual pane windows and we are more comfortable. My 2 cents...

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Archived