Air Ride on the 5th

oletimer

We have a new 5th ordered, and it is getting crunch time for the final details. We ordered this back in June, and after owning 5ft wheel RVs for 23 years thought we knew what we wanted! Never had one custom built though even though we ordered the first three new, and had them "tweek" the finished product to our needs. This has been a lot more difficult than I had thought! Now to my point, I have ordered 8K axels with air ride, and just now (at about 2:30AM) had some concern about raising the wheels off the ground without support. With the Bigfoot and the Mor/Ryde IS, any time I have wanted to change/work on the tires or underside, I just raised the unit off the ground. When I rebuilt the axels, I raised the unit up, blocked it, and pulled all 6 tires, and wheels for a few days while working on the axels. Can I do this with the air ride on the trailer? I can't ask the manufacture right now because Marsha is out of town, and I hate to bother Wyatt, but I'm just about to lose the internet for 5-7 days Friday 9-25-15.

If I need to make a change it should be fairly quick. It always seems I should know more than I know. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

Have them add some hooks fore, aft, and between the axles. Use them to strap (or chain, your preferance) the axles before levitating. The factory should have limiting straps, but they may be too long for your purpose.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Dick, I have air suspension with my Big Foot system. I first let out the air in the suspension, making sure I already have blocks under the rear legs. 3 4x4s bolted together. (actually 3.5 x3.5).

I then block the fronts after unhitching and then, like you used to do, have Big Foot take all wheels off the ground. If the leg height won't let you get them all "up", then you just use a bottle jack on each side of an axle to lift that end, or use bigger blocks under the Big Feet.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Dick, I have air suspension with my Big Foot system. I first let out the air in the suspension, making sure I already have blocks under the rear legs. 3 4x4s bolted together. (actually 3.5 x3.5).

I then block the fronts after unhitching and then, like you used to do, have Big Foot take all wheels off the ground. If the leg height won't let you get them all "up", then you just use a bottle jack on each side of an axle to lift that end, or use bigger blocks under the Big Feet.

Rocky, I never noticed any limiting straps on your rig.....are they there? I'd probably put limiting straps on (like I had on my offroad Jeep) unless there was a suspension element that acted as a reasonable limiter without stressing it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

You can see the system I have, and it doesn't have any limiting straps. I guess the arms will only let the axles drop so far. The wheels are then off the ground. Pretty stout system.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/heromakers/21502843909/in/album-72157633864902368/

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

You can see the system I have, and it doesn't have any limiting straps. I guess the arms will only let the axles drop so far. The wheels are then off the ground. Pretty stout system.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/heromakers/21502843909/in/album-72157633864902368/

Yes, that is how many of them are constructed..... including the Kelderman. They are self limiting. But I have seen some that are not....cannot remember whose, now.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived